MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: Rowing Machine

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Rowing Machine

Im looking to buy cardio machine. I go to gym 3 times a week but really don't have time to stay another 30,40 min to do cardio after lifting. Wife and kid waiting for me.... 6 years ago I had a back surgery < disc>, not to serious. I know treadmill is the best but i try to be easy on my back. I heard that Rowing machine is so underrated, it is great as cardio and build muscle. As far as i read on internet is as affective as treadmill and far more then elliptical < not sure spelling> and so easy on your back and joints. What you guys think? Any experience . I thought like Concept 2, Model D? Thanks.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by artur View Post
    Im looking to buy cardio machine. I go to gym 3 times a week but really don't have time to stay another 30,40 min to do cardio after lifting. Wife and kid waiting for me.... 6 years ago I had a back surgery < disc>, not to serious. I know treadmill is the best but i try to be easy on my back. I heard that Rowing machine is so underrated, it is great as cardio and build muscle. As far as i read on internet is as affective as treadmill and far more then elliptical < not sure spelling> and so easy on your back and joints. What you guys think? Any experience . I thought like Concept 2, Model D? Thanks.

Don't think the rowing machine will build much muscle but as a cardio hit they are effective.

I tend to 'tabata' the rower and not just sit on it and row at a constant rate for 30 minutes or so. This is my workout.

30 seconds 50% max
    30 seconds 100% max
    Repeat for 5 minutes.
    2 minutes rest
    Repeat again.

12 minutes doesnt sound much but have a bucket ready....!
    Bench Press 264lb - 120kg (x1.25 BW)
    Squat 352lb - 160kg (x1.66 BW)
    Dead Lift - 484lb - 220kg (x2.28 BW)
    Seated Overhead Press 154lb - 70kg
    Combined 1100lb - 500kg (x5.25 BW)

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by artur View Post
    Rowing machines are good for muscle mass; I remember reading an article in which it stated that the military (a department of, not sure which one) used rowing machines because they functioned very much like HIIT in the effect on muscle use...pretty sure I posted the article, somewhere on here, years ago now.

As for a rowing machine being easier on your back, I think that's highly individual; I have no issues with my back but don't really get along well with rowing machines. It might be something to trial for a good few months, and then make a decision on purchasing but be careful in your selection, if it's different from the one you're using at the gym etc.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

This is very informative post for rowing machine user. Thanks for sharing this post.