MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default Testosterone Boosters.... Worth it?

Hey Im nearly 21 years old and am looking to bulk up with lean muscle mass. Im currently a fit 183 lbs. I bench 300lbs, and my other lifts are relatively related in strength. I take whey protein and have gained mass, but was wondering if testosterone boosters were worth it? my buddy takes testosterone boosters and is as strong as an ox, but im a little shaky. are they were the side affects? or should i stick to adding BCAA, aminos, and a new diet into my plan? thanks!

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

They don't work.

Bulgarian Trib. is a popular "test booster" and it has not been proven to either increase testosterone or promote an increase in the ability to gain lean body mass.

The only test boosters that work are illegal and come with some nasty sides.
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

0%==========||==========100%

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Davethebravest View Post
    Hey Im nearly 21 years old and am looking to bulk up with lean muscle mass. Im currently a fit 183 lbs. I bench 300lbs, and my other lifts are relatively related in strength. I take whey protein and have gained mass, but was wondering if testosterone boosters were worth it? my buddy takes testosterone boosters and is as strong as an ox, but im a little shaky. are they were the side affects? or should i stick to adding BCAA, aminos, and a new diet into my plan? thanks!
    At 21 years of age your natural hormone production should be quite high - further making testosterone boosting supplements quite possibly useless for you.

Your money could be much well better spent on food, and actual research proven supplements such as BCAA's during training, creatine and perhaps a good quality pre workout supplement which can cover your creatine and beta alanine needs to maximize your performance and to assist in reaching your goals.

Your buddy will primarily be strong through his actual diet and training as a whole, unless what he is taking is in fact 'illegal/steroids'.

Side effects from a testosterone booster can include increased oily skin, improved libido, increased muscle mass, increased strength, greater sense of well being, greater mood and anything else which is attributed to the hormone - these may occur on a very small or minimal scale if you were to use a natural booster, and however again your diet and training will be the catalyst.

The best thing you could do at this time is to put your focus and energies into what has been mentioned above - getting the diet down, training well, providing enough rest between workouts and you should be able to maximize your natural production that way.
    Consistency is the key

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

thanks guys. yeah the chance of side affects is enough for me not to take em. My new total routine include 3 large meals with 3 small meals spaced between. Im taking a pre workout along with whey post workout. Im adding in BCAA supplement as well. On gym days Im consuming more carbs and less fat, and my two off days im leaning more towards fat and not carbs. sound alright?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

you probably don't need to manipulate your fat intake. I wouldn't worry too much about manipulating any macros or cals unless you're prepping for a contest

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Plenty of natural legal boosters that will help a touch, but there a lot more helpful for someone older then you. I would try sone other sups for now and move onto test boosters some years down the road
    So you say you dont listin to the "big guy at the gym anymore" Instead you read articles and studys and go of what some science study on the internet says. Hows that working for ya? Big guy still big you still small...
    Bench 345 - 10reps
    DL 405 - 8reps
    Front squat 315 - 8reps
    5'8" 233lbs - LIFETIME NATURAL -

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

buy it

if your training, diet and habits are in check you won't lose anything trying it.
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

test booster are not magic, it won't get you HUGE overnight. You'll still need to work hard and eat right. You're 21, your test levels are through the roof! Just take your protein, multivitamins and WORK HARD. You'll be fine.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

To parrot what everyone else has said, nail down your diet and training before focusing on "extra" supps like test boosters and whatnot.

That being said, as a 21 year old, I have noticed positive effects from 2 test booster:
    DAA (3g/day)
    Fahrenheit Nutrition's GF-T21 (check out the logs on the forum)
    Check out my article page!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/authors/nick-ludlow

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates
    https://www.facebook.com/nickludlow91

Follow my lifting log!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76483-LD-s-Journey-to-Beastdom

M&S Senior Member IvanTheTerible's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I prefer to look at studies that are at least done via double Blind so that there is less chance of manipulation - but most of the studies show that only slightly raising your test levels with the average over the counter Booster will not actually give you enough of a boost to cause the anabolic reaction that you are looking for.... I am an advocate of trying - that being said do the research and find 1-2 products that you are confident in , buy them and try them..... if you want you can even log the supplement / workout / results in the proper section of the forum.... might be able to help other M&S users find a great product... or keep people away from something that was all hype....

Good luck !
    + + =

" Lifting HEAVY is relative to your body's ability to MAINTAIN FORM while your preforming the GOD DAMN MOVEMENT " Yo Elliot "

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Test Boosters do not boost your testosterone period. Studies have been done and surprise, surprise those on test boosters (Bulgarian Trib) had no more free test. than the control group. I'll try to find a copy of the study and post it up.

Don't waste your money on that crap. Too many beginners and even experienced lifters think that it makes a difference, it doesn't. It's not a panacea for your lifting issues, it's not going to give you that extra something. It's placebo effect pure and simple.

You will get better results out of buying oats, chicken breast, lean red-meat and sweet potato.
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by itsn8o View Post
    Test Boosters do not boost your testosterone period. Studies have been done and surprise, surprise those on test boosters (Bulgarian Trib) had no more free test. than the control group. I'll try to find a copy of the study and post it up.
    You know bulgarian trib isn't the only test booster out there, right? Just because the trib wasn't found to be effective, doesn't mean others aren't effective.

M&S Elite Member OfficerEaton2U's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I love the the LG Science Liquid Trifecta Stack. Since starting the stack, I have gotten more Personal Best than the the last six months.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

You know bulgarian trib isn't the only test booster out there, right? Just because the trib wasn't found to be effective, doesn't mean others aren't effective.
    I know there's others, that's why I made a point to emphasis the tests were conducted on trib.

However, many of the other "test boosters" are not proven to work. Anecdotal evidence might suggest they do, but that's worth the same as me saying "lemon juice will boost your test, trust me brah I've feel stronger".

You're free to spend your own money as you see fit, but I don't recommend spending it on something that has not been proven to work.
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I know there's others, that's why I made a point to emphasis the tests were conducted on trib.

However, many of the other "test boosters" are not proven to work. Anecdotal evidence might suggest they do, but that's worth the same as me saying "lemon juice will boost your test, trust me brah I've feel stronger".

You're free to spend your own money as you see fit, but I don't recommend spending it on something that has not been proven to work.
    are you expecting a ''study'' to give it a try to a test booster?
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

at 21 if you're looking to buy supplements, best bet is for ones that will compliment what should be naturally high hormone levels.

BCAAs, creatine, Creatinol o phosphate, beta-alanine, and lcarnitine ltartrate.

I would try them in that order. They can all be run at the same time, so you can just add one after another every few months after you had time to access how well it works for you.

edit - also, blanket statements are really ruining this board. saying all test boosters don't work is ridiculous.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    are you expecting a ''study'' to give it a try to a test booster?
    Testosterone is something that can be measured quite easily with a blood test, so yes, I would rather listen to a study that measures testosterone levels in a control group v. a sample group, than what some no-idea bros in a gym recon test boosters do.

Of course, you're free to waste your money on something that hasn't been proven to work if you wish.
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

most ingredients of test boosters do have studies backing them. It's a matter of being able to read and understand them. bad science is easy to spot once you've read enough.

trib actually had a study saying it boosted test. It was some really obscure journal, and it was poorly conducted. thats what supplement companies used to sell it, they just ignored all the followup studies showing it didn't work.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Testosterone is something that can be measured quite easily with a blood test, so yes, I would rather listen to a study that measures testosterone levels in a control group v. a sample group, than what some no-idea bros in a gym recon test boosters do.

Of course, you're free to waste your money on something that hasn't been proven to work if you wish.
    Drivin sports brand - activate and triazole
    Both have been tested multiple times on numerous people and has prove to raise test and lower estrogen.

There are others as well but this is one of the newer ones that has been getting a lot of good press.

Also its completely legal and not on the banned subsatance list
    So you say you dont listin to the "big guy at the gym anymore" Instead you read articles and studys and go of what some science study on the internet says. Hows that working for ya? Big guy still big you still small...
    Bench 345 - 10reps
    DL 405 - 8reps
    Front squat 315 - 8reps
    5'8" 233lbs - LIFETIME NATURAL -

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah man, before you take such a hardline stance you should maybe do a bit of homework. Like another poster posted, Activate Xtreme and Triazole have blood work supporting them. Also I know DAA has blood work supporting it. I'm not a big supp whore, so I don't follow to closely, but I'm sure there are many other brands and compounds that have blood work backing them that some of the guys here could name.
    For the record, I think it's a reasonable and valid point if someone were to say they aren't a necessary supp. And it's cool if you don't think they are worth it or they're not your thing or whatever, but what you're saying is out right false. And for some lifters they do have a place.