MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default MMA help with my shoulders.

I know many of ya'll have been training martial arts, I've been training since I was kid. Now i'm 23 and started training MMA again few months ago (1 year gap). My trainer said because I've been doing weightlifting my muscles are too tight and because of this I might not be too fast as others. I noticed that too, I know I have stronger punches and kicks but I can't keep up with my punches not because I don't have the stamina. Its because my shoulders are getting tired. I cant keep my hands up for too long (In the fighting stance). I do punches for like 5 mins and I feel like my shoulder joint muscles are burning!
    I'm pretty sure it will go away after a while but is there a short cut for this problem? I do pretty heavy workout for my shoulders (coconut shoulder workout from M&S).

Has anyone had similar problems?

Cheers!
    Sam
    Girl look at that body, girl look at that body, I workout!
    I'm sexy and I know it!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by eguynth View Post
    I know many of ya'll have been training martial arts, I've been training since I was kid. Now i'm 23 and started training MMA again few months ago (1 year gap). My trainer said because I've been doing weightlifting my muscles are too tight and because of this I might not be too fast as others. I noticed that too, I know I have stronger punches and kicks but I can't keep up with my punches not because I don't have the stamina. Its because my shoulders are getting tired. I cant keep my hands up for too long (In the fighting stance). I do punches for like 5 mins and I feel like my shoulder joint muscles are burning!
    I'm pretty sure it will go away after a while but is there a short cut for this problem? I do pretty heavy workout for my shoulders (coconut shoulder workout from M&S).

Has anyone had similar problems?

Cheers!
    Sam
    No shortcut. You just have to condition your shoulders. Also you will find as you relax more your endurance will be better. So both training for endurance and your technique will improve your situation.

It's not because of the weights either, while yes if you don't stretch you can be quite 'tight' and this can influence your punches, this generally goes away after dropping the weights for 3-4 weeks (or moving to circuit work) and concentrating on hand speed etc...(example: 3-4 weeks out from a fight).

I used to have this problem before I started lifting on a regular basis. Now I lift regular, and don't have issues keeping my hands up, and while I am slower after I've trained my muscles, give me a week of recovery and I'm the fastest out there for my weight division.

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by xcoyote View Post
    No shortcut. You just have to condition your shoulders. Also you will find as you relax more your endurance will be better. So both training for endurance and your technique will improve your situation.

It's not because of the weights either, while yes if you don't stretch you can be quite 'tight' and this can influence your punches, this generally goes away after dropping the weights for 3-4 weeks (or moving to circuit work) and concentrating on hand speed etc...(example: 3-4 weeks out from a fight).

I used to have this problem before I started lifting on a regular basis. Now I lift regular, and don't have issues keeping my hands up, and while I am slower after I've trained my muscles, give me a week of recovery and I'm the fastest out there for my weight division.
    Knew there wont be a shortcut :P, thanks for the advice I'm learning MMA as a hobby/self defence not a professional fighter. I think I can get in to a routine. Which bag do you think I should train more on? a speed bag or a heavy bag? Maybe after the MMA lessons I can stay another hour or so at the gym and train on my punches.
    I'm sexy and I know it!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Knew there wont be a shortcut :P, thanks for the advice I'm learning MMA as a hobby/self defence not a professional fighter. I think I can get in to a routine. Which bag do you think I should train more on? a speed bag or a heavy bag? Maybe after the MMA lessons I can stay another hour or so at the gym and train on my punches.
    Look at doing conditioning circuits as well as barbell complexes, also incorporate a lot of higher rep 20+ stuff on your shoulders, thisll increase your bodies ability to remove lactic acid.

I do MMA and found this helped A LOT.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    Look at doing conditioning circuits as well as barbell complexes, also incorporate a lot of higher rep 20+ stuff on your shoulders, thisll increase your bodies ability to remove lactic acid.

I do MMA and found this helped A LOT.
    I found some conditioning circuits, and barbell complexes.

http://youtu.be/LnAox-UZa3M
    http://youtu.be/iajADzMrw4Y

What do you think about these two? also can you tell me when I should do these?
    Last edited by eguynth; 10-19-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    I'm sexy and I know it!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

A complex I do is:

Deadlift
    Bent over row
    High pull or hang clean
    push press
    Squat

10 reps for each with a 45kg barbell for 4-5 sets.

A good way to think about how to plan your circuits is to just try to mimic MMA training, so include a lot of power movements and dynamic weighted movements.

A circuit I do is:

Box jumps
    Plyometric pressups onto steps
    Pullups
    Heavy bag clean and press
    Crunches
    Press and rows
    Kettlebell swings

10 reps on each with 90s rest between each set.

Personally I dedicate a workout or 2 a week to pure conditioning. Ill start with the circuits and do 4 sets of that, then move onto barbell complexes for 4-5 sets. Then ill go for a 3km run and then a 2000m row afterwards.

Its improved my fitness pretty rapidly.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Both! I found training just on floor to ceiling and doing padwork really took away my heavy "push through" punching power. The speed bag is great for conditioning shoulders as well as rythym. Padwork and Floor to ceiling are great for speed and co-ordination.

Sparring is also great.

Also for your shoulders you can try weighted shadow boxing (shadow boxing with light weights in your hand). Some coaches are against this though but it's worked wonders for me.

When doing anything that doesn't involve an opponent, concentrate and visualise one, keep your guard up!

Good luck have fun :-)

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Appreciate your help guys
    I'm sexy and I know it!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Shortcut = injury prone in this situation, so be patient and develop your muscular endurance the right way with proper programs, rest, nutrition and supplementation.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A good MMA conditioning training will help
    My favorite exercises are sledge hammer on truck tire, waving roper and tire flip.
    A good exercise to improve your 'hands up' is to hold a light weighted ball between your forearms and bicep and punch the bag with your other hand. do 5 one minute round with each hand, rest 30 sec between rounds.
    A good shoulder stability routine will help to, how your bjj? If you already good in pouncing I will focus a bit more on ground work, you will surprise how bjj will help on joints.
    Hope this help.