MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default change in bra's band size

Can lifting weights change the band size of a bra? I've searched for this everywhere but all the results are if lifting lifts breasts or makes them bigger/smaller. But I'm not talking about the cup size, I know boobs are fat and losing weight means losing boobs. But I'm talking about the size around the rib cage? The number not the letter. I went to buy new bras and tried on the same size I've always worn but they were awful. So tight I couldn't even breath. My weight hasn't significantly changed and if anything the cup size needs to be smaller. Just wondering if lifting could have caused me to need a bigger band size. Or if I'm just getting fatter around the ribs. Thanks.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm just a male, so take this with salt... but yes absolutely. If you've gained muscle, especially on your back, I could easily see that requiring a longer band to get around.
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

It's like how my old t shirts ride up under the arm pits...
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Training Log

Tosca - lifting can certainly lead to needing an increased band size (think stronger lats = bigger lats = bigger band size). Don't forget that the new ones you tried on have all fresh elastic and stretchy parts You'll have to keep an eye on the mirror and your bf% to know if it's muscle mass or fat though.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Thanks everybody. Any input is greatly appreciated from men or women. I didn't even really consider it being from lifting until my mother suggested it. For the most part the rest of my clothes fit better so it was a shock to see that much extra skin. My immediate thought was that I'd gained a lot but I know I haven't. On the plus side my boobs were so smashed it kind of made it look like I actually had some!

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I asked this very same question, some time ago now, and without the input of females, all I ended up with was that obviously cup and band sizes go up because we put weight on so it's nice to finally have some input from another female that agrees about lat size (thanks kat1) as opposed to the norm of the average everyday female that goes up a bra size due to weight gain alone.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well, it does happen in some cases, lifting weight can also make the size bigger but you can always look for a good sports bra that provides proper support and high impact resistance. I think this can help in keeping your size intact. Don’t worry, you can always ask a trainer about it.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

This is definitely way cheaper than undergoing some surgery. Will definitely follow this thread.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

From my experience, no! Your band size, under boob, will not change. What changes is your bust, but not actual breast size. What changes is the arm and back muscles giving a larger distance around requiring a larger size bust. Problem is you now have larger arm muscles coming down to your breast and the 5 size selection offered is insane. Think about it! I measure 33" under breast and 36" around bust. The bra expert will swear in court I am a 34-35B. NOT! My cups are A, a large around, but flatter breast. With chest and back muscles developed, I am a 36A! I have had all my bras custom made for years. Another thing is my straps have to be longer and I hate adjustable strap bras. They don't hold up. Us girls of muscle and lesser boob need more back support than we need boob support. Those generic tight binding bra straps caused me shoulder impingment. Look at the charts on those sports bras that must have been designed by a guy, because no woman truly finds those torture garments comfortable. By the chart a 36A is a size small or maybe a medium in some brands. Even a super stretchy one is way tight. A large fits me, but all that cup material and how it binds and pulls up on my under arm muscle. Torture! Also the large still has tight binding straps that make a workout torture. I have started wearing custom made to MY MEASURE double fabric nylon/spandex 80/20 4 way crop top bra for some time now. They never ride up, super comfortable, and show my fitness perfect. They hide my extended rib cage. Message me for the name of the lady in Hawaii that will make them for you. $70 each and worth every penny! I have been wearing sports bras and bikinis for over 60 years. The band is not the problem, it is the idea that every woman will fit into one of the 5 sizes offered and that their cups size goes up with bust size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Image.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	22321
    Last edited by faetta; 04-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.