MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Default Which Split is Best for a beginner?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, so I'll do a little introduction - my name is Melissa. I'm a college student in the northeast US, and I started lifting weights with some sort of intelligence about two months ago. I'm 5'7", 157 lbs, measurements 39-30-41, upper arms: 12 inches, thighs: 23 inches. I don't look fat, but I know I'm about 30 lbs. over what I weigh when I'm happy and confident. I'm also not in terrible shape - I walk constantly at school. I've gained it over the past 3 years of school (a combination of bad eating, late night eating, alcohol, etc.), and I'm doing my best to a) lose it and b) get fit - in the best shape of my life; cut, toned, less body fat percentage, confident, etc.

I started two months ago with an upper body/lower body split:
    Monday: 7-8 upper body lifts on one day (for example, dumbell rows, lateral pull downs, bicep curls, trap shrugs, lateral raises, etc.) plus cardio
    Tuesday: just cardio and abs
    Wednesday: 6-7 lower body exercises (squats, leg press, hamstring curls, lunges, etc.) without cardio
    Thursday: cardio and abs
    Friday: upper body and cardio
    Saturday: cardio and abs
    Sunday: rest

The next week it would be two lower body, etc. I was extremely sore at first, to the point where I had to skip some days because no matter how I stretched or tried to overcome it, I was debilitatingly sore, but it was getting easier and more manageable. Then, I started reading online about how the most effective way to work out for beginners and those who want to lose weight (i.e. less than 6 months of lifting) was to do a full body circuit, so I switched to a full body circuit (I do 3 sets of 8, aiming for my 8th rep to be the last or second to last one I could physically do. The circuit usually looks something like: leg press, hamstring curl, calf raises, lower back extensions, pec dec flyes, shoulder dumbbell press, dumbbell rows, lateral pull downs, bicep curls, tricep rope pull downs in some combination of super sets and individual sets).

However, after doing this for 2 or 3 weeks, I'm not sore at all? I'm very conscious of avoiding an injury, and I lift pretty heavily, so that at rep 7 I'm thinking "Can I even do another one? I'm not sure..." (knowing that my mind gives up before my body does), but I don't try to lift to failure. Should I go back to a upper/lower split? Move to a muscle specific split? I'm really confused.

Thanks for any and all advice.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I think you really need to define your goals and choose a program that fits your goals and experience.
    However, I'd recommend choosing a proven novice program (Starting Strength, StrongLifts, All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine)
    calculate BMR/TDEE and eat about 300-500 cals under maintenance. try to consume at least 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight.
    good luck

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa1990 View Post
    Hi everyone!

However, after doing this for 2 or 3 weeks, I'm not sore at all? I'm very conscious of avoiding an injury, and I lift pretty heavily, so that at rep 7 I'm thinking "Can I even do another one? I'm not sure..." (knowing that my mind gives up before my body does), but I don't try to lift to failure. Should I go back to a upper/lower split? Move to a muscle specific split? I'm really confused.

Thanks for any and all advice.
    Hi, your performing a lot of exercise, and this requires a pretty good diet, make sure the diet is in check and dont give up on the reps, make the muscles work, you dont need to go to total failure, just to the point where the last rep that you do, you know that you wouldnt be able to perform another 'full' rep.

Make sure that your recovery from workouts is good
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    I think you really need to define your goals and choose a program that fits your goals and experience.
    However, I'd recommend choosing a proven novice program (Starting Strength, StrongLifts, All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine)
    calculate BMR/TDEE and eat about 300-500 cals under maintenance. try to consume at least 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight.
    good luck
    Yup this!

Pick a proven program that's simple and layed out, just follow it to a T. Starting Strength and Stronglifts are good ones.