MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default BJJ, Weight Gain, and Supplements

Hi Guys,
    First time poster here! I've been stalking the forum from afar for a while now, and figured it was about time to join up and make my first post.
    So here's the deal. I've been training BJJ (Brazilian Ju Jitsu) for a little while now, and have decided it's about time for me to go up a weight class. This means i need to gain around 10kg (22lbs), not instantly, but sooner rather than later.
    I have a set routine at the gym which works great for me, so that's not an issue. My diet is very good, could be better but i'm not THAT committed. And i'm really motivated with both my BJJ training and my training in the gym.
    But one thing i cant work out, no matter how much i read and what people tell me, is supplements. I've been on BCAA pills and Whey Protein (Proto Whey) for a while now, but i'm not sure that they are they best/only supplements that i should take to aide my weight gain. I've just run out of both, so i figured i'd come to you experts to ask what to stock up on.
    Now from my research, i've figure out that i'm probably going to need fish oil, protein, BCAA, and a pre-workout (to put it simply). But with all the options i'm totally lost for what to go for, and what's best for me.
    If it is of any use: i'm 22 years old, 6'3, 168lbs (77kg), very active, and definitely ectomorph body type.
    SO!...
    What do you guys recommend for me in terms of supplements to take, and actual products for each?
    Just keep in mind that i'm a student (in Australia, if shipping cost is an issue), so i don't want to break the bank by buying a million different products. Just the essentials. But if there difference between one product and a better product is a few dollars, i'll fork out for the best option.

Thanks in advance for the advise. I really appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    Matty
    Last edited by mattfeltham; 11-19-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi Matt,
    Lift heavy with low reps. Creatine will also help put some weight on you (Not allot) The biggest thing is going to be consistency in your training and time.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeltham View Post
    Hi Guys,
    First time poster here! I've been stalking the forum from afar for a while now, and figured it was about time to join up and make my first post.
    So here's the deal. I've been training BJJ (Brazilian Ju Jitsu) for a little while now, and have decided it's about time for me to go up a weight class. This means i need to gain around 10kg (22lbs), not instantly, but sooner rather than later.
    I have a set routine at the gym which works great for me, so that's not an issue. My diet is very good, could be better but i'm not THAT committed. And i'm really motivated with both my BJJ training and my training in the gym.
    But one thing i cant work out, no matter how much i read and what people tell me, is supplements. I've been on BCAA pills and Whey Protein (Proto Whey) for a while now, but i'm not sure that they are they best/only supplements that i should take to aide my weight gain. I've just run out of both, so i figured i'd come to you experts to ask what to stock up on.
    Now from my research, i've figure out that i'm probably going to need fish oil, protein, BCAA, and a pre-workout (to put it simply). But with all the options i'm totally lost for what to go for, and what's best for me.
    If it is of any use: i'm 22 years old, 6'3, 168lbs (77kg), very active, and definitely ectomorph body type.
    SO!...
    What do you guys recommend for me in terms of supplements to take, and actual products for each?
    Just keep in mind that i'm a student (in Australia, if shipping cost is an issue), so i don't want to break the bank by buying a million different products. Just the essentials. But if there difference between one product and a better product is a few dollars, i'll fork out for the best option.

Thanks in advance for the advise. I really appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    Matty
    you dont need supplements, you need an good diet and training program

supplements can help but training and diet is far more important

the only supplements I use:
    - whey
    - creatine monohydrate
    - mulit vit/fish oil
    220lbs, 13-14%bf,

Hypertrophy is something that can be achieved with pretty much any intensity of load, as long as the work is progressive.