MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      More Strength

Cool Gaining 20 lbs in 4 months

Hey guys I have decent knowledge about getting cut and looking good (diet, workouts, etc.). But now I am trying to gain 20 lbs of lean muscle within the next four months. Currently I am taking Kre-alkalyn and PRO-7 gainer. I consume between 7,000-10,000 calories daily. My overall goal is to gain 20 lbs of muscle mass then cut away at my fat (the easy part for me). I was wondering what would be the best weekly workout split for me to gain the most size and mass in the fastest I can. I can devote hours upon hours at the gym if needed but I have found that to not be working so well for gaining. Also any other tips youd have for me I'd be happy to hear. Also I weigh 165 and I am 6'0" tall.

Thank you,
    Dylan Heikens

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

you are soo sooo sooo far not going in the right direction

1. hours upon hours at the gym isnt going to gain you more muscle than say 5 hours a week at the gym infact it will gain you alot less.

2. 20 lbs in 4 weeks is ridiculous and will be 15 pounds ATLEAST of fat, aim for 5 pounds in 4 weeks

3. 7-10,000 calories a day? i actually would wager money if you tried to eat that at 165 pounds you would puke or have stomach ache for the next 4 weeks

answer, work out bmr add 500 cals to it a day, eat clean, pick a split or full body routine off here with decent user reviews, stick to it, work out 3-4 times a week, try gain 1-2 pound a week in weight at the most, and ditch the crap supplements for creatine whey and a multi vit. good luck

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Theres pretty much no way in hell you are going to gain 20lbs of lean body mass without some serious steroid usage.

What keiron has stated about, an aim of 5lbs is a much more realistic and possible goal, especially for a beginner, although the longer you have been training, the less likely you will be able to accumulate that much mass in such a time frame.

Your calorie intake for a natural bulk is way too high, I'd cut that back to 4000, and even then it may be a bit much, you have to eat it for a week or two and see how your weight reacts.

If you plan to put 20lbs of lean body mass in 4 months, you will be sorely dissapointed, but 5lbs might be more realistic if your calorie intake is high enough, as well as protein. You might be interested in PHAT training (heavy compounds with heavy weight and low reps mixed with bodybuilding style light weight, high reps).

More time in the gym won't equate to better gains, there is a area of diminishing returns and eventually a point where you will hamper your gains. You grow when you're resting/sleeping, not lifting.

Good luck with your goals, and feel free to ask more questions and learn more!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

7,000-10,000 calories per day is absurd and unhealthy. Use this site's BMR calculator to find your daily calories needs. Increase that number by 500 (a fairly aggressive bulk) and that's how much you should be eating a day.

If you want size, focus on training for volume and time under tension. So you'll want 4-5 sets per exercise with 8-12 reps at a slow tempo to illicit size growth. I would split your workout into 4 days (chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Shoulders/Traps, Legs), that's what I do at least.

Also, re-evaluate your goal. 20 lbs of leans mass in 4 months is probably not feasible. 20 lbs of raw weight, however is doable, but it won't be the same as lean mass.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

1. You're probably not eating 7-10k calories per day
    2. It's evident from your post that you know less than you think
    3. You didn't even mention your routine

/thread
    Progression over regression

"I would learn that in each of us there is a flame that must never be allowed to go out. That as long as it burns within us, we cannot be destroyed"
    -The Power of One

October 2012 Member of the Month

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

That many calories a day will make you gain a LOT more than 20lbs in 4 months. That's what sumo wrestlers eat in order to pack on insane amounts of fat very quick for a fight. I gained almost 20lbs in 4 months eating more like 3500 a day (and less than half of that was muscle).

And as said above, unless you're rocking some COPIOUS steroids at very dangerous levels this just isn't even on the same planet as being possible. I think Henry might be onto something guessing that you're probably not eating 7000-1000 calories a day.
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Theres pretty much no way in hell you are going to gain 20lbs of lean body mass without some serious steroid usage.

What keiron has stated about, an aim of 5lbs is a much more realistic ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    And as said above, unless you're rocking some COPIOUS steroids at very dangerous levels this just isn't even on the same planet as being possible. I think Henry might be onto something guessing that you're probably not eating 7000-1000 calories a day.
    In 4 months
    10lbs heavily "assisted"
    5lbs Natural.

That's for LEAN muscle gains, not water retention, or fat retention etc.. so your over all body weight would be higher than just those poundage changes.

That's with (FOR BOTH SCENARIOS)

Perfect nutrition (and I don't mean, "I eat clean 4-5 times a day"), it means knowing exactly how your body reacts, and reacting accordingly with macro adjustments as often as needed.

Perfect training intensity, form, contraction.

Given the nature of your post, It would lead me to assume that you have neither.

I suggest stop trying to set stupid goals, and start ACTUALLY learning about nutrition and training..that is..if you want to succeed long term.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

7000 CALORIES!! lol made my day would you mind listing you foods for a typical day? can i aslo suggest a new calculator lol love it!!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

10,000 calories at 165 lmao.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

very high metabalism lol

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Dheikens View Post
    Hey guys I have decent knowledge about getting cut and looking good (diet, workouts, etc.). But now I am trying to gain 20 lbs of lean muscle within the next four months.
    Hi, your goal is unrealistic, I suggest you do some research into diet/working out

Currently I am taking Kre-alkalyn and PRO-7 gainer. I consume between 7,000-10,000 calories daily.
    You would need approx 3500 - 4000 calories only per day.

I can devote hours upon hours at the gym if needed but I have found that to not be working so well for gaining. Also any other tips youd have for me I'd be happy to hear. Also I weigh 165 and I am 6'0" tall.
    As I said above, you need to spend some time on research, spending hours in the gym is only going to create overtraining which will hamper any goals you want.

Ectomorphs require less training not more
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Love how everyone makes fun of the poster who obviously needs more education and support. Way to go. No wonder the forum slows and slows and slows...
    "Look son, there comes a time in every man's life when he has to make a decision. Do you want to be big, powerful, jacked, yoked-up, have women everywhere want you and men fear you . . . or do you want to do CrossFit?"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      More Strength

Thank you very much MC I really am not very experienced and am obviously looking for guidance. For everyone who thinks I am not eating this much ill give you a breakdown of my food. In the morning I start out with 2 egg sandwiches each around 4-500 calories. I have a snack 1 hr later usually a bagel covered in cream cheese for lunch I eat a 4x2 @ work with fries (I work at In-N-Out) my lunch is usually around 2500 cals by itself then I have another snack after work (close to the size of a meal) then I work out then I pound on dinner and throughout the whole day I drink 4 of my Pro7 gainer shakes which are 700 calories each. If your not good at math, with only counting my breakfast, lunch, and shakes thats 6,300 cal/day so an extra 700-3700 calories between two snacks and dinner isn't that much. I have an extremely high metabolism although sometimes I feel like puking after some of the meals. But shut up about the whole doubting I could eat this much I am just looking for answers on what to do not criticism on how much you "think" I can eat. Thank you though for letting me know my goals were unrealistic I will tune it to 5-10lbs (10lbs probably still unrealistic I know). For all the people who have helped me, thank you. The help is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Dheikens; 01-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Aiming for 10lbs of gain in that long I think is probably totally fine, it's unlikely to all be muscle but who cares? I think your calories were just so high that some of us figured you were messing with us. Shoot to eat enough that you're gaining about 1lb a week, that's about as fast as you want to go, more than that and it'll largely be fat, 0.5-1lb would be more ideal for lean gains.
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Dheikens sorry to laugh m8 heres some pointers for you-

*find out what your daily calorie intake should be using calculator on this site.

*then start sensible with realistic gains so add a extra 500 calories a day to what your results from calculator gave you.

* look into nurition easy found on this forum keep things clean and simple.

*work out what fat you need to eat,protein and carbs, now i dont measure completly acurate because i thinks its common sense eat your clean calories amount, 1 gram of protein per pound of weight and add some healthy fats. people will tell you to measure food to the gram but your new its a lot to take in so for now just adjust yourself slowly its not a race once you learn it all you can start measuring to the gram then. People will slate me for saying this but trust me common sense will see you thru these eary stages.

*take protein/weight gainers when foods not accesable dont rely on these over food.

*take your protein shakes immediatly after workout and eat good food as soon as after workout.

*in the gym perform excercises correctly and flow and spend around a hour in the gym with a good workout routine maybe one found off this site for beginners.

keep a eye on your gains around every 3 weeks and you will see benifits, seriously i was a bit worried about how many shakes you consume so keep that steady and stick to calorie amount i was talking about at the begining of this post.

ive kept it simple like i have advised you and have gained around 10 pound mass in 3 months

finally enjoy dont get obsessed keep things simple!!!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Aiming for 10lbs of gain in that long I think is probably totally fine, it's unlikely to all be muscle but who cares? I think your calories were just so high that some of us figured you were messing with us. Shoot to eat enough that you're gaining about 1lb a week, that's about as fast as you want to go, more than that and it'll largely be fat, 0.5-1lb would be more ideal for lean gains.
    Thank you very much for the advice. Its good to have someone tell me something is actually possible.

Sincerely, dheikens

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by markharriers View Post
    Dheikens sorry to laugh m8 heres some pointers for you-

*find out what your daily calorie intake should be using calculator on this site.

*then start sensible with realistic gains so add a extra 500 calories a day to what your results from calculator gave you.

* look into nurition easy found on this forum keep things clean and simple.

*work out what fat you need to eat,protein and carbs, now i dont measure completly acurate because i thinks its common sense eat your clean calories amount, 1 gram of protein per pound of weight and add some healthy fats. people will tell you to measure food to the gram but your new its a lot to take in so for now just adjust yourself slowly its not a race once you learn it all you can start measuring to the gram then. People will slate me for saying this but trust me common sense will see you thru these eary stages.

*take protein/weight gainers when foods not accesable dont rely on these over food.

*take your protein shakes immediatly after workout and eat good food as soon as after workout.

*in the gym perform excercises correctly and flow and spend around a hour in the gym with a good workout routine maybe one found off this site for beginners.

keep a eye on your gains around every 3 weeks and you will see benifits, seriously i was a bit worried about how many shakes you consume so keep that steady and stick to calorie amount i was talking about at the begining of this post.

ive kept it simple like i have advised you and have gained around 10 pound mass in 3 months

finally enjoy dont get obsessed keep things simple!!!

No problem man, I was going off of a couple of co-workers advice. I will stick to those guidelines and give it a try. I used to eat clean (mostly nuts, chicken, whole-grain foods, and veggies), since not eating that way consuming a significant amount of calories was much easier. I would love to go back to that food since this stuff makes me feel like ****. Thank you very much for your advice, it goes a long way.

Sincerely, dheikens

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

10 lbs of mostly muscle in 4 months is doable. Holy hell, bowel movements of peace.
    Progression over regression

"I would learn that in each of us there is a flame that must never be allowed to go out. That as long as it burns within us, we cannot be destroyed"
    -The Power of One

October 2012 Member of the Month

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thank you very much MC I really am not very experienced and am obviously looking for guidance. For everyone who thinks I am not eating this much ill give you a breakdown of my food. In the morning I start out with 2 egg sandwiches each around 4-500 calories. I have a snack 1 hr later usually a bagel covered in cream cheese for lunch I eat a 4x2 @ work with fries (I work at In-N-Out) my lunch is usually around 2500 cals by itself then I have another snack after work (close to the size of a meal) then I work out then I pound on dinner and throughout the whole day I drink 4 of my Pro7 gainer shakes which are 700 calories each. If your not good at math, with only counting my breakfast, lunch, and shakes thats 6,300 cal/day so an extra 700-3700 calories between two snacks and dinner isn't that much. I have an extremely high metabolism although sometimes I feel like puking after some of the meals. But shut up about the whole doubting I could eat this much I am just looking for answers on what to do not criticism on how much you "think" I can eat. Thank you though for letting me know my goals were unrealistic I will tune it to 5-10lbs (10lbs probably still unrealistic I know). For all the people who have helped me, thank you. The help is much appreciated.
    Pounding down 10,000 junk food calories will not lead to huge muscle gains only fatness and poor health. Ever see Super Size Me? Put together a decent nutrition plan and expect 5 - 10lbs ... maybe.
    The weights are not ur friends. If fact they f'ing hate u. They think ur their b!tch. They mock u every time u can't complete a rep. Now go smash the sh!t out of 'em! - Me

If you enjoy doing an exercise most likely you're not doing it right. - Arthur Jones

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Try www.myfitnesspal.com to work out your calories, protein, carbs and fats consumed - there's also an app for iPhone/Android so you can use it on the go. You can save meals so that it only takes a few minutes out of your day to work out exactly how much you ate that day. This website/forum has a lot of information on diet, training, etc. (I've only been working out for 4.5 months but learnt a huge amount off here). Good luck!

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

You need to re-focus and think about muscle-building in terms of years instead of months. No one here who has any appreciable size, accomplished it in 4-6 months. They took at least 2 years to really add on size and then trim down to show off their muscle. I say this not to discourage you, but rather to help you set realistic goals. It's a marathon and not a sprint. Every site (including this one) has information about this 8, 10, or 12 week program and that, alone is misleading. You can do a 12-week program, and do it for 6 cycles and see gains. But no one gains a ton of muscle in 3 months. So, you have to be in this for the long haul.

Additionally, even when gaining super-leanly and slowly, your body will add both muscle and fat. It's simply not possible to add muscle without adding any fat. Might sound scary, but here's the silver lining: The more muscle you build, the more fat you can carry and not look fat. So, you have to decide how much muscle/fat gain you can tolerate as you bulk.

Good luck with your goals.
    "Look son, there comes a time in every man's life when he has to make a decision. Do you want to be big, powerful, jacked, yoked-up, have women everywhere want you and men fear you . . . or do you want to do CrossFit?"

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Love how everyone makes fun of the poster who obviously needs more education and support. Way to go. No wonder the forum slows and slows and slows...
    Would rep you for this but need to spread more love around first :/
    It's clobbering time!

Show up, dominate, go home.

PM me for Facebook/Twitter/etc. contact info

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

For a reference point,

I've just come off a pretty agressive bulk and I'm a relative beginner (worked out for about 6 months seriously before my bulk, but I was cutting so the muscle gains were'nt huge) which lasted 4 months, so the same sort of time frame that you're looking at.

I started at 212lbs and I'm 6 foot 3. I followed a solid routine (Madcow 5x5)

From my (admittedly not scientifcally accurate) calculations, I added about 21lbs of weight (212lbs to 233lbs) of which I think around 10lbs was muscle and 11 lbs fat, so about 50% muscle.
    These figures are probably skewed in the favour of fat as my final weigh in was after christmas and New Year where I'd had a week off and eaten like a horse, so there's probably 2 or 3 extra pounds of fat there.

Anyway, the point is, I started at 212, lifted heavy with steady progression pretty much every session and managed to add 10lbs of muscle, and I was eating around 3,500 calories on days I lifted and 3000 on off days.
    And I still put on 10lbs of fat as well.

Granted if I did more cardio as well the fat wouldn't have piled on as much, but then muscular gains may have been less also.

So as others have said, I think 7000 calories per day is way too much. And 20lbs of muscle in 4 months is hugely ambitious.
    You'd be better off halving both figures (3,500 calories and 10lbs of muscle)

Obviously it depends on metabolism and genetics to an extent, but I think those would be more realistic goals for you.
    Just thought I'd give you a point of reference from someone who's in a similar situation.
    "No rest is worth anything except the rest that is earned"

NEW Journal: Shut the Bulk Up!