MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    M&S Senior Member Seagull's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2011
    • Posts
      908
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      29,743,140
    • Rep Power
      297,444

    Default IOC drop wrestling from 2020 Olympics

    http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-74399225/
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226577443198
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/video/2013-02/13/c_132167337.htm


    I know there's a couple of wrestlers on the site, so I'm interested to hear some opinions on this.

    Personally, I think it is a very poor decision. It's shocking a sport with such long Olympic tradition, as well as human sporting tradition really, has been booted but many 'sports' which barely qualify as such get to stay on. I have a suspicion that it is because wrestling doesn't draw big money, and to base a decision off of that goes against exactly what the Olympics are all about, imo.
    Front gets you laid. Back gets you paid.

  2. #2
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Jmama's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2012
    • Posts
      3,881
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      USA
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      814,575,340
    • Rep Power
      8,145,779

    Default

    i'm not a wrestler. but this pis$es me off to no end. such a staple of the olympics cut for what must be a greedy or petty reason.

  3. #3
    M&S Power User MikeGart's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2010
    • Posts
      1,651
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Florida
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      220,796
    • Rep Power
      2,224

    Default

    Once a wrestler always a wrestler. It is such a strong community of people that have been apart of one of the greatest one-on-one sports in history. One of the first Olympics sports and a true test of what a superior athlete is. Wrestling was one of the hardest sports that I ever competed in and also one of the best things that I did. You join in a brotherhood/sisterhood with your fellow teammates, through blood, sweat, tears, and ring worm.

    This is all about TV ratings and money. Well if the events weren't televised at 3am then maybe some of would watch a little more. With that said, watching wrestling on TV really isn't all that exciting, however it should never be pulled as an Olympic sport because of money.
    "Don't talk about it....Be about it!"
    "If you're tired of starting over, STOP GIVING UP!"
    "Eat Clean TRAIN DIRTY"

    muscleandstrength.com/forum/member-training-journals/69878-5-3-1-how-ive-missed-you.html

  4. #4
    Regular Poster GreekStrong's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2011
    • Posts
      484
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Gilbert,AZ
    • Reputation
      10,573,702
    • Rep Power
      105,748

    Default

    Im a wrestler as well and pulling wrestling from the olympics is an out rage. If people actually knew how much skill and conditioning is involved in wrestling and respect it, then it would be more of a watched sport. People dont respect combat anymore, we live in a society full of wussies who dont have a clue about what defines a warrior. I guarantee in Greece, something like pulling wrestling from the olympics would start civil unrest. I admire ancient greece and all they started which our society is still trying to catch up to till this day.

  5. #5
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      32,466
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      1,385,257,343
    • Rep Power
      13,852,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    Im a wrestler as well and pulling wrestling from the olympics is an out rage. If people actually knew how much skill and conditioning is involved in wrestling and respect it, then it would be more of a watched sport. People dont respect combat anymore, we live in a society full of wussies who dont have a clue about what defines a warrior. I guarantee in Greece, something like pulling wrestling from the olympics would start civil unrest. I admire ancient greece and all they started which our society is still trying to catch up to till this day.
    Its a shame if they pull any sport from the olympics, but wrestling is not very popular around the world apart from the US
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  6. #6
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Reputation
      70,437,445
    • Rep Power
      704,400

    Default

    there are hundreds of pity events and they take one with most history in olympics since olympics started

    clearly sports are not about sports anymore

  7. #7
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Jmama's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2012
    • Posts
      3,881
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      USA
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      814,575,340
    • Rep Power
      8,145,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Its a shame if they pull any sport from the olympics, but wrestling is not very popular around the world apart from the US
    i don't think that's true.
    japan, the middle east, russia, and lots of other places seem to have a good deal of interest in wrestling.
    i don't even see it as especially popular in the usa.
    it's a travesty how they could drop wrestling and keep all this pentathalon and biathalon stuff in the games.
    and what about all this ribbon twirling or whatever they call it?
    why don't they just have a "prancing around to show tunes" competition?

  8. #8
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      361
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Reputation
      40,743,111
    • Rep Power
      407,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmama View Post
    i don't think that's true.
    japan, the middle east, russia, and lots of other places seem to have a good deal of interest in wrestling.
    i don't even see it as especially popular in the usa.
    it's a travesty how they could drop wrestling and keep all this pentathalon and biathalon stuff in the games.
    and what about all this ribbon twirling or whatever they call it?
    why don't they just have a "prancing around to show tunes" competition?
    real Wrestling used to be considered a manly sport/art but with the 21 century and suddenly straight guys getting insecure with themselves and screaming stupid bs like * No Homo at every little thing suddenly wrestling isn't as popular as it used to be and lots of straight guys try to link linking wrestling with being gay!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. How to win the Olympics
    By darshan in forum The Video Thread
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM
  2. Special Olympics Anyone???
    By grgry in forum Muscle Building
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM
  3. Olympics News
    By Saurus in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 03:14 AM
  4. The summer olympics!
    By muscletrainerdh in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
  5. Olympics and drugs 1st of many
    By HDJoe in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Community
Forum
Reviews
Articles
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1180 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2015, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use