Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default Strength Training + Cardio + Krav Maga

Hello -

First post here on this forum.

About a year ago I started StrongLifts and saw some very good gains from that. Recently i've also started concentrated on losing the body fat i've accumulated over the past few years. I've been doing HIIT (jump rope, mainly) and steady-state cardio on the elliptical after completing a HIIT session. I've also cut my calories and am watching my nutrition.

Also about a year ago, I took up krav maga. I enjoy this, but had a tough time during the classes because it's very cardio-intensive. It's actually a lot like HIIT training (also reminded me a lot of army basic training, LOL). So, I stopped the KM to concentrate on lifting and also to work on my lung power, which just didn't happen.

So now I am wanting to keep up my cardio training as well as my strength training plus krav maga. The KM school is telling me to stop the weights for now and to let them condition me. They recommend that I attend three KM classes per week in order to get to level 2, which takes about 3-4 months of continuous training. The folks at the powerlifting gym to which I belong are telling me to not give up the weights. The StrongLifts program mandates a lift schedule of three days/week, same as the KM courses. Thing is, I won't get very much rest if I do this.

So - what to do? Have any of you been in this position? What works best with krav maga?

Thanks!!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

The Krav school near me is pretty intense from a cardio standpoint. I would train Krav every other day and lift on the days you're not in Krav. Something like M-W-F Krav and T-Th-Sat lift. Drop cardio outside of Krav completely. That worked well for me though it was a compromise for each. In my case lifting did hamper speed and boxing/Krav did hamper lifting. I'm 47 and my ability to recover does seem to be slowing.

I am also curious to hear what some of the more knowledgable members here have to say regarding your situation.