MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default "Cardio Acceleration"

Hey all,

So I was perusing BodyBuilding.com (sacrilege, I know) and I saw their newest "Shortcut to Shred" workout by Jim Stoppani. It's based off of this idea of "Cardio Acceleration," which basically means that during your rest intervals (which are all 1 min) that you do some form of cardio, be it step-ups, jump rope, kettle bell swings, medicine ball slams, mountain climbers, etc.

It was an interesting idea that I was thinking about adopting into my current routine in order to burn more fat. Does anybody have any thoughts on this method? Do you think it would torpedo muscular gains? Do you think it would make a significant difference?

I did try this yesterday during leg day and I have to say that I was winded by the end of my workout.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

not sure what to think. if increasing strength and adding mass is a goal, I think you should take your rest periods to rest

cardio has no magic fat burning powers. have you tried adding something like tabata at the end of training?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

From what you've written, it seems like another gimmick to me. Unless you're extremely strapped for time, why not do both seperately? Doing them together is only going to take away from each other.
    Front gets you laid. Back gets you paid.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well it's a fat loss program so the idea is to keep your heart rate up while lifting. Also, supposedly, the increased blood flow during your "rest" period is supposed to aid in recovery.

I think the reasoning for putting them both together also lies in the fact that the program calls for a 6-day split. I'm not doing the 6-day split so maybe I would be better served with just keeping my two designated cardio days.

Here's the link to the program if anyone is interested in taking a look: Shortcut to Shred

Is it a gimmick? Possibly. I was real tired after trying it out, and it did keep my heart rate up. But that being said, I definitely could not push as much weight throughout my workout. So it's a give and take I suppose.

The real question is: is it worth it and does it make much of a difference in the long (or short) run?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

I’m actually on my second week of the shortcut to shred program, I’ve always had great results from Dr. Jim Stoppani workouts. The first week you just feel winded and that you’re taking away from the muscle building aspect but in the second week your body is already adapted to the cardio acceleration in a way. This second week has been great, the amount you sweat from the workout is pretty impressive. Id at least try the full routine for 2 weeks. Or at least the cardio acceleration its time efficient and completely beneficial

And just to add in the short run you can see and feel difference, never thought id see cutting results within 2 weeks
    -muscle pharming