MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Black Coffee as a pre-workout?

What do you guys think? Is it strong enough? Does it give you extended amounts of energy? What about increased focus? I have a friend that swears by this stuff and Im wondering what is your take on it. Thanks.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    What do you guys think? Is it strong enough? Does it give you extended amounts of energy? What about increased focus? I have a friend that swears by this stuff and Im wondering what is your take on it. Thanks.
    I think coffee itself falls very short as opposed to pre workout supplements when looking at the complete picture.

First of all, a good quality pre workout will likely have good/researched dosages of key ingredients such as Beta Alanine, Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, Tyrosine, etc.

Coffee on it's own won't have these, not to mention that pre workout supplements will have other ingredients to help enhance energy, focus and strength outside of caffeine alone - guarana extract, carnitine and various other extracts etc.

Coffee is fine pre workout if that's what you want, however pre workout supplements are a great 'All in one' formula which will give you good/adjustable dosages of caffeine and several other ingredients which will enhance your workout by providing energy and much more.

I have a friend who doesn't use pre workouts but drinks black coffee. He doesn't mind it, although again you could probably get more out of a pre workout over-all, unless you are just after the 'caffeine' from the black coffee itself and that's it.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

ECA is the most complete, coffee just a part. but many dont even need coffee or whatever, just get so pump up for stepping in the gym like myself.
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

175cm/75kg

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Coffee is fine. Don't waste your money on supplements. A large number of pre-workout products contain a stack of sugar - that's why they give a boost.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Coffee is fine. Don't waste your money on supplements. A large number of pre-workout products contain a stack of sugar - that's why they give a boost.
    ^^disagree. Just looked at 4 samples of popular pre workout, no suger in any of them. Coffee does not do it for me, but I drink about 4 cups every morning, so kinda immune to it
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...Proverbs 27:17
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76757-51-and-still-lifting-getting-stronger

Seasoned M&S Veteran fenrisulfr's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

If you want the minimalist approach a bottle of caffeine pills is like 4-5 bucks shipped. Ridiculously cheap.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

"According to the article published by Men’s Fitness, many pre-workout supplements involve scooping powder into water or buying pre-made protein drinks. However, the article said drinking black coffee could actually be better for you because it accelerates fat loss.
    The article said fat cells could be used as an energy source instead of glycogen if you drink coffee before you exercise. The high amount of caffeine in pure black coffee actually increases your metabolism, increasing the amount of calories you burn during the day. Caffeine is also an appetite suppressant, so not only will coffee make you burn more calories, the high percentage of caffeine in it will deter you from eating more.
    Brian Turner, a spokesperson for the Muscular Development Store, said there are many opinions about high amounts of caffeine being consumed as part of a pre-workout routine, but coffee might actually benefit your health. “Some people think just taking caffeine tablets or supplements will improve their workout,” Turner said. “While that might be true, it’s unhealthy to take energy pills or caffeine tablets all the time. Though it has a similar effect, drinking coffee is not necessarily the same thing. Black coffee is a natural stimulant and it’s more healthy than concentrated caffeine pills or energy drinks.”

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/2/prweb10395858.htm
    Last edited by Doug; 06-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I usually recommend that people start out with a cup of coffee or 2 (if they need something for a preworkout supp)
    preworkout supps can have pretty powerful stims and might not be worth the sides (you have to assess your tolerance)

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Comparing coffee to a proper pre-workout is like comparing coca leaves to cocaine (ok ok slight exaggeration!). Coffee might do the job, or it might not, depends on the person. I know for myself the preworkouts are generally just too much, I feel high from those. Coffee isn't enough, I don't react to it at all. I find energy drinks perfect honestly, but rarely use them... I generally just go lift things and only use stims if I'm feeling down overall before I go. To each their own I'd say.
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Ok thanks for the information I Think I will stick to my pre workout supps and add coffee as an extra boost. I use Alpha Rage by MGN and it gives me the right mix of energy and focus to complete my workouts. I also get great pumps from using it. I will just use coffee for added caf.

M&S Senior Member DownToBusiness's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by HDJoe View Post
    ^^disagree. Just looked at 4 samples of popular pre workout, no suger in any of them. Coffee does not do it for me, but I drink about 4 cups every morning, so kinda immune to it
    ^ Agree Assault has carbs, so does FastTwitch by CytoSport, but 40 cals/serving hardly justifies a label of "stacks of sugar" (though I absolutely concede that that'll get you buzzed too haha).
    6'0" 170lb
    "Get Mean or Get Out"

Frequent Poster

Ok thanks for the information I Think I will stick to my pre workout supps and add coffee as an extra boost. I use Alpha Rage by MGN and it gives me the right mix of energy and focus to complete my workouts. I also get great pumps from using it. I will just use coffee for added caf.
    Alpha Rage is the best IMO

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Yea Alpha Rage is really great. I have been using it for six months now and have noticed I get increased levels of pumps and also better focus and drive while lifting. I think that its the best pre workout on the market right now and really has everything I need to get a good quality lift in.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Hello,
    If you think from scientific reason then coffee contains aggressive object which accelerate the human's power.
    bur pre-workout is not good...

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by DownToBusiness View Post
    ^ Agree Assault has carbs, so does FastTwitch by CytoSport, but 40 cals/serving hardly justifies a label of "stacks of sugar" (though I absolutely concede that that'll get you buzzed too haha).
    Not all contain a lot of sugar. But a lot do. I simply stated a lot do. My advice to AMuscle1 is to try using coffee. Why spend extra money when a common cheap staple is adequate?

Also, I should direct you AMuscle1, to a fact. This site has a 'shop' selling supplements. So you may want to be a little guarded when taking advice to use supplements.
    Last edited by darrenash; 06-06-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I think when it comes to supplements I really have only been using one brand for my pre workout and that's MGN. I think they really have the best products. I will continue to use my black coffee for my pre workout and also add Alpha Rage to that. I think both of these together work really well together.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Not all contain a lot of sugar. But a lot do. I simply stated a lot do. My advice to AMuscle1 is to try using coffee. Why spend extra money when a common cheap staple is adequate?

Also, I should direct you AMuscle1, to a fact. This site has a 'shop' selling supplements. So you may want to be a little guarded when taking advice to use supplements.
    Two points/questions for you:
    1) What is wrong with sugar? I specifically include dextrose (Gatorade powder) in my pre- and post-workout shakes. I find that this really adds to the pump factor when training, as well as giving some additional energy during my workout.

2) This website may sell supplements, but that is no reason to discount or discredit the advice or opinions of its members. It's not like we are shareholders of M&S - just patrons of the site and members of the forum.
    Garrett

Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Adding to what Garretts just said, look at AMuscle1's signature at the end of his posts... he's a REP for a supplement company, so he's the LAST person on the planet who needs to worry about taking advice from other people based on the idea that they might be trying to sell him something...
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I think that when it comes to pre workouts there are some great supplements out there but I always seem to go with the ones that are stim free, they work the best for my body: I think that black coffee is effective and it works well in the morning.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by garretts View Post
    Two points/questions for you:
    1) What is wrong with sugar? I specifically include dextrose (Gatorade powder) in my pre- and post-workout shakes. I find that this really adds to the pump factor when training, as well as giving some additional energy during my workout.

2) This website may sell supplements, but that is no reason to discount or discredit the advice or opinions of its members. It's not like we are shareholders of M&S - just patrons of the site and members of the forum.

1: If sugar gives someone the extra energy for them, fine use it. But why pay for an expensive supplement, when fruit can suffice? I'm not convinced the 'pump factor' is of particular use, but I guess that's a personal preference. If you need extra energy during a workout, it may suggest your nutrition isn't as good as it can be. I find consuming extra calories from whole foods helps me when my energy lacks during a workout.

2: I wasn't meaning to 'discredit' advice of members as such. I was simply pointing out a fact. After all if I were a second-hand car salesman, I doubt I would bring the attention of defects in the cars I was selling. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a potential client to seek opinions from an independent source. I'm simply the independent source noting that supplements are not as 'magical' as marketing blurbs suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Adding to what Garretts just said, look at AMuscle1's signature at the end of his posts... he's a REP for a supplement company, so he's the LAST person on the planet who needs to worry about taking advice from other people based on the idea that they might be trying to sell him something...
    That's why he started a thread asking for advice.

I was a competitive sprinter - when I wasn't an old git like now. I didn't see it a disservice to seek advice from others. I certainly didn't refute advice simply because it wasn't coming from somebody with my sprinting experience. Not all advice will be applicable to everyone. I offer advice on these forums; nothing more. Each person is free to ignore it or take it.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

1: If sugar gives someone the extra energy for them, fine use it. But why pay for an expensive supplement, when fruit can suffice? I'm not convinced the 'pump factor' is of particular use, but I guess that's a personal preference. If you need extra energy during a workout, it may suggest your nutrition isn't as good as it can be. I find consuming extra calories from whole foods helps me when my energy lacks during a workout.

2: I wasn't meaning to 'discredit' advice of members as such. I was simply pointing out a fact. After all if I were a second-hand car salesman, I doubt I would bring the attention of defects in the cars I was selling. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a potential client to seek opinions from an independent source. I'm simply the independent source noting that supplements are not as 'magical' as marketing blurbs suggest.
    I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise.

1. You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement. For your information, I eat a daily P/C/F of 205/225/50.5, spot on every single day. I'm training for my first bodybuilding competition in 10 weeks, and will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here. Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you.

2. Your point is invalid. If we were the used car salesmen, then point taken. However, we are the satisfied customers of a great website that sell quality products and simply giving our unsolicited opinions.
    Garrett

Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Well today I drank two cups of black coffee then completed my workout for the day and it went really well! I think I would suggest drinking at least two cups of the product to get the full effect of the caf. Im thinking about stacking this with my pre workout sup too.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by garretts View Post
    I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise.

1. You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement. For your information, I eat a daily P/C/F of 205/225/50.5, spot on every single day. I'm training for my first bodybuilding competition in 10 weeks, and will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here. Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you.

2. Your point is invalid. If we were the used car salesmen, then point taken. However, we are the satisfied customers of a great website that sell quality products and simply giving our unsolicited opinions.
    That pretty much sums up who is the "same self-proclaimed expert".

Why isn't my point valid? I thought America was the biggest promoter to free speech. My opinion is as valid as anybody's. Nobody need to agree with me. I simply offer advice as I see it.

To answer your petulant questions\assumptions:

- "You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement":

Please direct me to the post where I specifically said that Gatorade was expensive.

Anyhow, it's more expensive than coffee. It's also fairly heavy on sugar, which isn't a bad thing if you need a great deal of energy (endurance athletes for example).

- "I will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here":

Terrific! I take your word for it. I'm not sure when or where I belittled\denied your 'accomplishments'. In fact, I don't even recognise your username. But to satisfy your need to prove you are 'better' than me, I'll let you know that your max bench (as posted in your signature) is higher than mine.

- "Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you":

I could do this. Of course, who would know whether the pictures are actually of me? It wouldn't prove anything. And I don't see the benefit on 'showing off' my physique, or perhaps lack of physique.

- "I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise":

I'm not sure I'm an expert. I have 20 years of training behind me - as an athlete. That's got to count for something. I've been a competitive sprinter and boxer. Was I any good? Well the fact that I didn't make the Olympics or win anything of any note would suggest I was far from epic. It didn't stop me learning and trying to improve and hence gaining a good insight into nutrition and training.

I simply post on here to offer my insights to others. And at the same time to pick up new titbits from other posters. Feel free to ignore my posts if they don't match your beliefs.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

I really think it depends on you.... Personally I use AAEFX kyotic but I now people as well that swear by black coffee... Try it ands ethos it works for you!!!

The Beardless One
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I'm leaning towards coffee over pre-workout supps. Granted I don't get all those fancy ingredients in a pre-workout I know for a fact I'm saving more money now that I'd switched over to coffee.

Just my $0.02.