MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default Black Coffee as a pre-workout?

    What do you guys think? Is it strong enough? Does it give you extended amounts of energy? What about increased focus? I have a friend that swears by this stuff and Im wondering what is your take on it. Thanks.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  2. #2
    Moderator Scrutiny's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2008
    • Posts
      14,532
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      272,874,312
    • Rep Power
      2,728,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    What do you guys think? Is it strong enough? Does it give you extended amounts of energy? What about increased focus? I have a friend that swears by this stuff and Im wondering what is your take on it. Thanks.
    I think coffee itself falls very short as opposed to pre workout supplements when looking at the complete picture.

    First of all, a good quality pre workout will likely have good/researched dosages of key ingredients such as Beta Alanine, Creatine Monohydrate, Taurine, Tyrosine, etc.

    Coffee on it's own won't have these, not to mention that pre workout supplements will have other ingredients to help enhance energy, focus and strength outside of caffeine alone - guarana extract, carnitine and various other extracts etc.

    Coffee is fine pre workout if that's what you want, however pre workout supplements are a great 'All in one' formula which will give you good/adjustable dosages of caffeine and several other ingredients which will enhance your workout by providing energy and much more.

    I have a friend who doesn't use pre workouts but drinks black coffee. He doesn't mind it, although again you could probably get more out of a pre workout over-all, unless you are just after the 'caffeine' from the black coffee itself and that's it.
    Consistency is the key

  3. #3
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Reputation
      70,437,445
    • Rep Power
      704,400

    Default

    ECA is the most complete, coffee just a part. but many dont even need coffee or whatever, just get so pump up for stepping in the gym like myself.
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  4. #4
    Banned
    • Join Date
      Apr 2009
    • Posts
      1,610
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      204,225,811
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Coffee is fine. Don't waste your money on supplements. A large number of pre-workout products contain a stack of sugar - that's why they give a boost.

  5. #5
    Support the Troops HDJoe's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      13,697
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Dallas/FT. Worth
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      538,151,640
    • Rep Power
      5,381,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Coffee is fine. Don't waste your money on supplements. A large number of pre-workout products contain a stack of sugar - that's why they give a boost.
    ^^disagree. Just looked at 4 samples of popular pre workout, no suger in any of them. Coffee does not do it for me, but I drink about 4 cups every morning, so kinda immune to it
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...Proverbs 27:17
    .
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76757-51-and-still-lifting-getting-stronger

  6. #6
    Seasoned M&S Veteran fenrisulfr's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      2,732
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Ohio
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      269,796,287
    • Rep Power
      2,697,984

    Default

    If you want the minimalist approach a bottle of caffeine pills is like 4-5 bucks shipped. Ridiculously cheap.

  7. #7
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      32,477
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      1,385,257,343
    • Rep Power
      13,852,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    What do you guys think? Is it strong enough? Does it give you extended amounts of energy? What about increased focus? I have a friend that swears by this stuff and Im wondering what is your take on it. Thanks.
    "According to the article published by Men’s Fitness, many pre-workout supplements involve scooping powder into water or buying pre-made protein drinks. However, the article said drinking black coffee could actually be better for you because it accelerates fat loss.
    The article said fat cells could be used as an energy source instead of glycogen if you drink coffee before you exercise. The high amount of caffeine in pure black coffee actually increases your metabolism, increasing the amount of calories you burn during the day. Caffeine is also an appetite suppressant, so not only will coffee make you burn more calories, the high percentage of caffeine in it will deter you from eating more.
    Brian Turner, a spokesperson for the Muscular Development Store, said there are many opinions about high amounts of caffeine being consumed as part of a pre-workout routine, but coffee might actually benefit your health. “Some people think just taking caffeine tablets or supplements will improve their workout,” Turner said. “While that might be true, it’s unhealthy to take energy pills or caffeine tablets all the time. Though it has a similar effect, drinking coffee is not necessarily the same thing. Black coffee is a natural stimulant and it’s more healthy than concentrated caffeine pills or energy drinks.”


    http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/2/prweb10395858.htm
    Last edited by Doug; 06-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  8. #8
    Dark Meat dday39's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Sep 2011
    • Posts
      4,511
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United States
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      774,589,829
    • Rep Power
      7,745,928

    Default

    I usually recommend that people start out with a cup of coffee or 2 (if they need something for a preworkout supp)
    preworkout supps can have pretty powerful stims and might not be worth the sides (you have to assess your tolerance)

  9. #9
    Seasoned M&S Veteran AToE's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2011
    • Posts
      2,231
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Calgary
    • Reputation
      15,541,281
    • Rep Power
      155,431

    Default

    Comparing coffee to a proper pre-workout is like comparing coca leaves to cocaine (ok ok slight exaggeration!). Coffee might do the job, or it might not, depends on the person. I know for myself the preworkouts are generally just too much, I feel high from those. Coffee isn't enough, I don't react to it at all. I find energy drinks perfect honestly, but rarely use them... I generally just go lift things and only use stims if I'm feeling down overall before I go. To each their own I'd say.
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

  10. #10
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default

    Ok thanks for the information I Think I will stick to my pre workout supps and add coffee as an extra boost. I use Alpha Rage by MGN and it gives me the right mix of energy and focus to complete my workouts. I also get great pumps from using it. I will just use coffee for added caf.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  11. #11
    M&S Senior Member DownToBusiness's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2011
    • Posts
      805
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Florida
    • Reputation
      107,267,121
    • Rep Power
      1,072,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HDJoe View Post
    ^^disagree. Just looked at 4 samples of popular pre workout, no suger in any of them. Coffee does not do it for me, but I drink about 4 cups every morning, so kinda immune to it
    ^ Agree Assault has carbs, so does FastTwitch by CytoSport, but 40 cals/serving hardly justifies a label of "stacks of sugar" (though I absolutely concede that that'll get you buzzed too haha).
    6'0" 170lb
    "Get Mean or Get Out"

  12. #12
    Frequent Poster
    • Join Date
      Apr 2012
    • Posts
      703
    • Reputation
      78,789,425
    • Rep Power
      787,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    Ok thanks for the information I Think I will stick to my pre workout supps and add coffee as an extra boost. I use Alpha Rage by MGN and it gives me the right mix of energy and focus to complete my workouts. I also get great pumps from using it. I will just use coffee for added caf.
    Alpha Rage is the best IMO

  13. #13
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default

    Yea Alpha Rage is really great. I have been using it for six months now and have noticed I get increased levels of pumps and also better focus and drive while lifting. I think that its the best pre workout on the market right now and really has everything I need to get a good quality lift in.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  14. #14
    Banned
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      63
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      India
    • Reputation
      997,482
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Hello,
    If you think from scientific reason then coffee contains aggressive object which accelerate the human's power.
    bur pre-workout is not good...

  15. #15
    Banned
    • Join Date
      Apr 2009
    • Posts
      1,610
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      204,225,811
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownToBusiness View Post
    ^ Agree Assault has carbs, so does FastTwitch by CytoSport, but 40 cals/serving hardly justifies a label of "stacks of sugar" (though I absolutely concede that that'll get you buzzed too haha).
    Not all contain a lot of sugar. But a lot do. I simply stated a lot do. My advice to AMuscle1 is to try using coffee. Why spend extra money when a common cheap staple is adequate?

    Also, I should direct you AMuscle1, to a fact. This site has a 'shop' selling supplements. So you may want to be a little guarded when taking advice to use supplements.
    Last edited by darrenash; 06-06-2013 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typo

  16. #16
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default

    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I think when it comes to supplements I really have only been using one brand for my pre workout and that's MGN. I think they really have the best products. I will continue to use my black coffee for my pre workout and also add Alpha Rage to that. I think both of these together work really well together.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  17. #17
    M&S Elite Member garretts's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      1,226
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      IL
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      38,633,594
    • Rep Power
      386,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Not all contain a lot of sugar. But a lot do. I simply stated a lot do. My advice to AMuscle1 is to try using coffee. Why spend extra money when a common cheap staple is adequate?

    Also, I should direct you AMuscle1, to a fact. This site has a 'shop' selling supplements. So you may want to be a little guarded when taking advice to use supplements.
    Two points/questions for you:
    1) What is wrong with sugar? I specifically include dextrose (Gatorade powder) in my pre- and post-workout shakes. I find that this really adds to the pump factor when training, as well as giving some additional energy during my workout.

    2) This website may sell supplements, but that is no reason to discount or discredit the advice or opinions of its members. It's not like we are shareholders of M&S - just patrons of the site and members of the forum.
    Garrett

    Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

  18. #18
    Seasoned M&S Veteran AToE's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2011
    • Posts
      2,231
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Calgary
    • Reputation
      15,541,281
    • Rep Power
      155,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Also, I should direct you AMuscle1, to a fact. This site has a 'shop' selling supplements. So you may want to be a little guarded when taking advice to use supplements.
    Adding to what Garretts just said, look at AMuscle1's signature at the end of his posts... he's a REP for a supplement company, so he's the LAST person on the planet who needs to worry about taking advice from other people based on the idea that they might be trying to sell him something...
    "what can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

  19. #19
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default

    I think that when it comes to pre workouts there are some great supplements out there but I always seem to go with the ones that are stim free, they work the best for my body: I think that black coffee is effective and it works well in the morning.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  20. #20
    Banned
    • Join Date
      Apr 2009
    • Posts
      1,610
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      204,225,811
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garretts View Post
    Two points/questions for you:
    1) What is wrong with sugar? I specifically include dextrose (Gatorade powder) in my pre- and post-workout shakes. I find that this really adds to the pump factor when training, as well as giving some additional energy during my workout.

    2) This website may sell supplements, but that is no reason to discount or discredit the advice or opinions of its members. It's not like we are shareholders of M&S - just patrons of the site and members of the forum.

    1: If sugar gives someone the extra energy for them, fine use it. But why pay for an expensive supplement, when fruit can suffice? I'm not convinced the 'pump factor' is of particular use, but I guess that's a personal preference. If you need extra energy during a workout, it may suggest your nutrition isn't as good as it can be. I find consuming extra calories from whole foods helps me when my energy lacks during a workout.

    2: I wasn't meaning to 'discredit' advice of members as such. I was simply pointing out a fact. After all if I were a second-hand car salesman, I doubt I would bring the attention of defects in the cars I was selling. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a potential client to seek opinions from an independent source. I'm simply the independent source noting that supplements are not as 'magical' as marketing blurbs suggest.

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Adding to what Garretts just said, look at AMuscle1's signature at the end of his posts... he's a REP for a supplement company, so he's the LAST person on the planet who needs to worry about taking advice from other people based on the idea that they might be trying to sell him something...
    That's why he started a thread asking for advice.

    I was a competitive sprinter - when I wasn't an old git like now. I didn't see it a disservice to seek advice from others. I certainly didn't refute advice simply because it wasn't coming from somebody with my sprinting experience. Not all advice will be applicable to everyone. I offer advice on these forums; nothing more. Each person is free to ignore it or take it.

  21. #21
    M&S Elite Member garretts's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      1,226
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      IL
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      38,633,594
    • Rep Power
      386,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    1: If sugar gives someone the extra energy for them, fine use it. But why pay for an expensive supplement, when fruit can suffice? I'm not convinced the 'pump factor' is of particular use, but I guess that's a personal preference. If you need extra energy during a workout, it may suggest your nutrition isn't as good as it can be. I find consuming extra calories from whole foods helps me when my energy lacks during a workout.

    2: I wasn't meaning to 'discredit' advice of members as such. I was simply pointing out a fact. After all if I were a second-hand car salesman, I doubt I would bring the attention of defects in the cars I was selling. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a potential client to seek opinions from an independent source. I'm simply the independent source noting that supplements are not as 'magical' as marketing blurbs suggest.
    I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise.

    1. You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement. For your information, I eat a daily P/C/F of 205/225/50.5, spot on every single day. I'm training for my first bodybuilding competition in 10 weeks, and will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here. Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you.

    2. Your point is invalid. If we were the used car salesmen, then point taken. However, we are the satisfied customers of a great website that sell quality products and simply giving our unsolicited opinions.
    Garrett

    Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

  22. #22
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Reputation
      40,147,285
    • Rep Power
      401,489

    Default

    Well today I drank two cups of black coffee then completed my workout for the day and it went really well! I think I would suggest drinking at least two cups of the product to get the full effect of the caf. Im thinking about stacking this with my pre workout sup too.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  23. #23
    Banned
    • Join Date
      Apr 2009
    • Posts
      1,610
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      204,225,811
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garretts View Post
    I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise.

    1. You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement. For your information, I eat a daily P/C/F of 205/225/50.5, spot on every single day. I'm training for my first bodybuilding competition in 10 weeks, and will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here. Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you.

    2. Your point is invalid. If we were the used car salesmen, then point taken. However, we are the satisfied customers of a great website that sell quality products and simply giving our unsolicited opinions.
    That pretty much sums up who is the "same self-proclaimed expert".

    Why isn't my point valid? I thought America was the biggest promoter to free speech. My opinion is as valid as anybody's. Nobody need to agree with me. I simply offer advice as I see it.

    To answer your petulant questions\assumptions:

    - "You are the first person to every call Gatorade an expensive supplement":

    Please direct me to the post where I specifically said that Gatorade was expensive.

    Anyhow, it's more expensive than coffee. It's also fairly heavy on sugar, which isn't a bad thing if you need a great deal of energy (endurance athletes for example).

    - "I will be somewhere around 4.5% bodyfat by the time the show gets here":

    Terrific! I take your word for it. I'm not sure when or where I belittled\denied your 'accomplishments'. In fact, I don't even recognise your username. But to satisfy your need to prove you are 'better' than me, I'll let you know that your max bench (as posted in your signature) is higher than mine.

    - "Post up some progress pics so we can see where your training/nutrition regimen has taken you":

    I could do this. Of course, who would know whether the pictures are actually of me? It wouldn't prove anything. And I don't see the benefit on 'showing off' my physique, or perhaps lack of physique.

    - "I've seen a number of your comments, and you are no doubt the a self-proclaimed expert on all things diet/nutrition/exercise":

    I'm not sure I'm an expert. I have 20 years of training behind me - as an athlete. That's got to count for something. I've been a competitive sprinter and boxer. Was I any good? Well the fact that I didn't make the Olympics or win anything of any note would suggest I was far from epic. It didn't stop me learning and trying to improve and hence gaining a good insight into nutrition and training.

    I simply post on here to offer my insights to others. And at the same time to pick up new titbits from other posters. Feel free to ignore my posts if they don't match your beliefs.

  24. #24
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jun 2013
    • Posts
      1
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Miami
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    I really think it depends on you.... Personally I use AAEFX kyotic but I now people as well that swear by black coffee... Try it ands ethos it works for you!!!

  25. #25
    The Beardless One
    • Join Date
      Aug 2009
    • Posts
      7,210
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Iowa
    • Reputation
      43,226,851
    • Rep Power
      432,315

    Default

    I'm leaning towards coffee over pre-workout supps. Granted I don't get all those fancy ingredients in a pre-workout I know for a fact I'm saving more money now that I'd switched over to coffee.

    Just my $0.02.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. coffee after a workout
    By foxxy2490 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 07:12 AM
  2. Coffee
    By bazev1 in forum Critique My Diet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 04:38 PM
  3. Coffee bad?
    By FastTwitch in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 09:12 AM
  4. Coffee
    By MuscPgh412 in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 03:01 PM
  5. coffee and workout
    By Abdullah in forum Diet & Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •