MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Default Back and sciatic nerve

Had back surgery in 1991 for a ruptured disk. Was good for about 13-14 yrs. Now on occasion I think I have a bulging disk that hits on the scaitic nerve. I am usually ok after resting for about 7 days. It has happened this time when I was actually on a week layoff.
    Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening in the future. it is a pain in the ass, literally and figurativly. The pain that shoots down the leg at times is really bad. Any suggestions...do not want to go under the knife again.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by HDJoe View Post
    Had back surgery in 1991 for a ruptured disk. Was good for about 13-14 yrs. Now on occasion I think I have a bulging disk that hits on the scaitic nerve. I am usually ok after resting for about 7 days. It has happened this time when I was actually on a week layoff.
    Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening in the future. it is a pain in the ass, literally and figurativly. The pain that shoots down the leg at times is really bad. Any suggestions...do not want to go under the knife again.
    A bulging disk normally requires surgery, A friend of mine has recently had 3 ops on his neck in the last 8 months for the same thing..
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

well i am hoping that it is not a bulging disk, but do not know what else it could be. Something is putting pressure on the scaitic nerve causing the pain shooting down my butt and leg.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Well lets see here...hmm lets try to rule out what it is shall we?

Does it bother you more sitting? Standing? What?
    Is the pain the same as pre-surgery?
    Are you having any difficulty with trunk or neck active range of motion?
    Are you athletic?
    Do you work out? Doing what? For how long? Does the pain return when working out? Any weakness?

I look forward to your next post
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post

Are you athletic?
    Do you work out? Doing what? For how long? Does the pain return when working out? Any weakness?

If I arch my back while sitting pain subsides, but if i sit too long pain increases. While walking back is fine, but pain in leg.
    Not as servere as before surgery.
    No problem with neck or trunk Can do hip flexor stretch with no problem. Pulling knee's to chest while laying helps pain level
    Not athletic anymore, 2 knee and 1 back surgery stopped that
    Work out 5 days a week, basic muscle building. Pain actually started when on vacation not working out.
    Last nite did a routine from web, ankle pumps, heel slides, ab contractions, wall squats, knee's to chest...seemed to relieve pain temp..but still got it this mornig.
    thanks for the help

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Are you athletic?

hey yitmy.....you around, need a little help here

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

I am here now, a guy's got to work...

So no difficulty with bending forward/backwards/sideways or rotation. Arching back while sitting helps relieve the discomfort(lumbar roll?). Sitting too long and you get pain where? Standing and walking how long and where do you get leg pain?
    What type of equipment do you train on?
    What and be specific were you doing before the pain occurred?

I am unsure if it is classic disc or if it is a muscular problem. That is why I ask so many questions, to seek clarification and to help figure out how best to point you in the right direction. From your posts I am leading towards recommending a Physical Therapy consultation. I just do not have a clear understanding yet of your problem. Often times after back surgery you may have intermittent trunk and hip weakness, and or muscle imbalances due to tightness or muscle spasms... hamstrings/piriformis can be a culprit.

I'll try to help if I can, but in the meantime I do recommend you schedule an appointment with a physical therapist in your area to help in case I cannot. You can always cancel if we make headway but I think having someone place hands on you would be a great benefit to yourself. My arms are normal proportion and do not stretch to where you are...limitations of web based assistance.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

So no difficulty with bending forward/backwards/sideways or rotation. Arching back while sitting helps relieve the discomfort(lumbar roll?). Sitting too long and you get pain where? Standing and walking how long and where do you get leg pain?

I am unsure if it is classic disc or if it is a muscular problem. That is why I ask so many questions, to seek clarification and to help figure out how best to point you in the right direction. From your posts I am leading towards recommending a Physical Therapy consultation. I just do not have a clear understanding yet of your problem. Often times after back surgery you may have intermittent trunk and hip weakness, and or muscle imbalances due to tightness or muscle spasms... hamstrings/piriformis can be a culprit.

I'll try to help if I can, but in the meantime I do recommend you schedule an appointment with a physical therapist in your area to help in case I cannot. You can always cancel if we make headway but I think having someone place hands on you would be a great benefit to yourself. My arms are normal proportion and do not stretch to where you are...limitations of web based assistance.
    Work?? you mean you don't sit around all day reading M&S like the rest of us
    Sitting too long brings pain in back of leg,between butt and knee. Walking it gets better the more I walk. The last 2 days I have been religious in doing some exercise's i found on internet evry 3 hrs, seems to have helped. Heel Slides,Wall squats, Knee to chest, Hip flexor stretch..
    Train mostly free weights, with a few machines thrown in. Been trying to pin point when pain happened, but can't remember. But it happened while I was taking a break from training.
    I'll wait a few days and if it doesn't get better I'll take your advice and see a PT.....What exercise's do you recommend for me to do in future to maybe help elimimate this from happening again.
    Thanks for taking the time to help...

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

When you pull your knee to chest, try this and pull with the opposite hand. Then gently pull towards the shoulder. So the direction is up and in. This should stretch out some fibers of the Piriformis. Hold for 15-30 seconds then release and perform on the other side. This may greatly reduce your discomfort.

Keep us posted!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I would agree with see a therapist. I've had two lumbar surgeries and constantly struggle with pain. I recently saw a chiropractor and he suggested some exercises in the pool. It seems to be helping, along with the traction I get three times a wk.