MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default new member from Alpharetta

Hello All,

Been lurking for a bit and really enjoyed some of the training advice here. Thanks to everyone that has put this site together.

I'm 47 and have been training on and off for 20+ years though haven't had any real consistency since my college days.

I'm 5'8", 175lbs.

max bench 245 for 1
    max squat 185 for 6
    max deadlift 185 for 6

My goals are to balance out my strength by focusing on squats and deadlifts. I'd also like to pack back on some of the muscle I've lost over the years. I'm fairly lean genetically and have always struggled to gain strength/size. I'd really like to hit 315 bench, 365 squat and 405 deadlift eventually though I have no idea how to get there or if that is realistic at my age. In my college days I followed more of a puff puff bodybuilder routine. These days I'm more worried about strenght and figure size will come with it. I want to look strong and ACTUALLY be strong.

I'm currently lifting M-W-F with a chest/back/bi/abs and legs/delts/tris split, running for 20 to 30 minutes (only two miles with about half a mile warm up and cool down) on my off days.

I was actually thinking about going back to a full body routine that I saw on here geared more for beginners but I thought at my age that might be a good plan for me too. I was going to add a link to the article but don't have enough posts yet. It's the article titled ex-hardgainer-workout-eating-plan found in the beginners routines section. Any advice or directions to a good routine that fits my goals would be greatly appreciated. Also setting me straight on my goals is welcome as well. I don't want to set myself up for failure nor sell myself short.

Thanks again everyone for putting together this awesome site and for the solid advice.

-John
    Last edited by mcjohn; 06-20-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: add link to beginner routine

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Welcome, I am just up the road from you in Cumming.
    Failure is Success, Success comes from Failure. Without Failure we cannot learn how to succeed. If we fear Failure, we are fearing the very success we desire.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

welcome, good to have another old geezer on forum
    your goals are achievable with proper training, diet and rest. I would break them down into smaller short term goals. At 50, my biggest problem is recovery and avoiding injury. My mind still thinks I can power something up by giving 100%, but that is usually when I strain/hurt something. So just take it slow and try to progress on reps or weights every workout. I have tried full body and just got off a 3 month lower/upper split..they both worked well, but wore out this body over time..
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another...Proverbs 27:17
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76757-51-and-still-lifting-getting-stronger

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by MattAP View Post
    Welcome, I am just up the road from you in Cumming.
    hey Matt, are there any gyms in our area that are focused on powerlifting? I'm guessing this crowd would be more in tune with what I'm trying to accomplish. Plus I could probably learn a lot from just watching how these guys train....

thanks, John

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I have not found any yet. Most of the gyms I have found are national chain type gyms.
    Failure is Success, Success comes from Failure. Without Failure we cannot learn how to succeed. If we fear Failure, we are fearing the very success we desire.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by mcjohn View Post
    hey Matt, are there any gyms in our area that are focused on powerlifting? I'm guessing this crowd would be more in tune with what I'm trying to accomplish. Plus I could probably learn a lot from just watching how these guys train....

thanks, John
    Hi John, welcome to the forum

Remember powerlifters lifting who manage to lift the heavy weights have taken a great amount of time to achieve their standard, but as we get older our recovery time gets longer. At 50 I would advise you to train for yourself, get the health benefits of training, and progress as fast as your body allows. Trying to push too hard too soon will only end up in injury and put you back to square one. Good luck
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Hi John, welcome to the forum

Remember powerlifters lifting who manage to lift the heavy weights have taken a great amount of time to achieve their standard, but as we get older our recovery time gets longer. At 50 I would advise you to train for yourself, get the health benefits of training, and progress as fast as your body allows. Trying to push too hard too soon will only end up in injury and put you back to square one. Good luck
    I'm kinda concerned about that too Doug. I feel at my age maybe trying to go from 250ish bench to 315 and up to a 365 or so squat might not be smart. Maybe just get on a good routine, keep my reps mid to high (8 to 15 is what I was thinking), might be smarter. I'd like to build my strength back up to my college days but since I left the gym for so long I could be pushing my luck.

I want to be realistic but am pretty excited about getting a little more serious about my training and nutrition. I was divorced about a year back and have much more time and motivation now

-J

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Welcome to you!!!
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce." ~ Shakespeare ~

~Psychotic Potato Dwarf~
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance