MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Default transitioning after show

I tried posting I the newbie section but didn't get a lot of advice so ill try here. I'm doing my second show this weekend and I'd like to hear about people transitioning back to their maintenance calories. How fast to you get back up to maintenance? How long to you give yourself to enjoy the victory? I'd like to stay lean and do a very clean build. Tha ks in advance

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by nick55 View Post
    I tried posting I the newbie section but didn't get a lot of advice so ill try here. I'm doing my second show this weekend and I'd like to hear about people transitioning back to their maintenance calories. How fast to you get back up to maintenance? How long to you give yourself to enjoy the victory? I'd like to stay lean and do a very clean build. Tha ks in advance
    Nick - I'm going to give you a 'bump' here, hopefully someone with some more experience will jump in and give you a better answer than I can give. I've recently just competed in my first competition, and have one more in three weeks and then I will be in your shoes.

From what I have been told to expect from my prep coach, it is important to go slow (i.e. don't just add in 500 calories and expect yourself not to gain unnecessary fat after having been on a contest prep diets for several weeks/months). My current macros are 215/295/59, with a goal of dropping a few more pounds before bringing my weight up slightly. I've been holding these macros for the past week or so and have lost about 1.5 lbs. When my macros were right around 215/325/62, I was almost perfectly at maintenance (not losing or gaining weight). As you can see, it's only an additional 30g of carbs and 3g of fat, so I would probably start my reverse diet by going back to the 215/325/62 split, and then adding in another 10-20g of carbs and a couple grams of fat each week until my weight begins to increase. I have a goal of only gaining between 20-25 lbs over a 2-year period before competing again. That way I can stay fairly lean and not have to cut for more than 12-15 weeks, which should allow me to keep more muscle as well.
    Garrett

Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Thanks for the bump and reply. Kinda seems like most of this board is dedicated to the "I'm overweight and new to wokring out. I currently do two hours of cardio a day and no lifting but I can't lose weight" questions. I was hoping for more competition experience and conversation. Seems like the forums I've seen with more competition centered topics are "untested" guys. Am I in the wrong sub forums here or could qnyone pm me a forum that might better suit my interests?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Oh and garret great pics from your last show. Were the trophies novice and novice overall? Good luck in your next show. After two shows I'm hooked.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Thanks for the bump and reply. Kinda seems like most of this board is dedicated to the "I'm overweight and new to wokring out. I currently do two hours of cardio a day and no lifting but I can't lose weight" questions. I was hoping for more competition experience and conversation. Seems like the forums I've seen with more competition centered topics are "untested" guys. Am I in the wrong sub forums here or could qnyone pm me a forum that might better suit my interests?
    You are correct, I would say 95% of the regular posters here have no competition experience, so you question is going to be hard for them to answer. Even then, nutrition is such an individualized, case-by-case application that it would be hard to say that what works for me will work for you.

Oh and garret great pics from your last show. Were the trophies novice and novice overall? Good luck in your next show. After two shows I'm hooked.
    Thanks buddy! I, too, love this sport! The trophies were from Novice Overall and Open Overall.
    Garrett

Team Wilson Natural Athlete
    Height: 5'10"
    Contest Weight: 165 lbs
    Off Season: TBD

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

For me, this is probably the hardest thing after a show. I have been dieting for at least 16 weeks at this point and if I look at another f-ing chicken breast, I'd scream! That said, here is my plan. I usually give myself Sunday to enjoy whatever I want IN MODERATION! The worst thing in the world you can do is binge eat!

Then on Monday, head back to the gym for a light workout, but keep in your cardio. This time though, ratchet back the intensity and the time. As for your diet, just add a little bit more food. Again, your body will have some major metabolic issues if you go from training/cardio to just training.

Slowly over the next 2-3 weeks, gradually back off the cardio and add more food.

I realize this iseasier said than done, but if you do it this way, I promise you that you will enjoy your results.

GOOD LUCK!
    Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Team P/RR/S Warrior

Coming Up The Ranks TheMightyStu's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Obviously slow and steady is the way to go, as even with a smart prep, you've put your body through a beating. Food wise, small steps are always best. My personal approach is to keep some days closer to my diet #s, while giving myself a little leeway one or two days each week at first. Eventually, you work your caloric and carb #s back up. I like to go with 25g increments, which isn't much, but it really will all depend on what your prep #s looked like. If you were on a more carb restrictive approach, you have to really be mindful.

Also, realize that if you've grown accustomed to a certain amount of cardio work, you can't just stop everything and expect your body to pretend it wasn't making a difference in terms of your caloric equation, as well as a providing a little metabolic boost. Again, cut back slowly, ideally (IMO) keeping a few short interval sessions each week at first to maintain the added 'kick' you've most likely been relying on.

Lastly, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that depending on what things looked like for you at the end of your prep, you may get a sodium and water rebound at first. This is what most people mistakenly attribute to either magic fat gain, or rebound muscle gain. In both cases, they're incorrect. If you experience this, I find that your body will usually normalize weight wise by the end of a week or so (assuming you don't binge like there's no tomorrow -lol)

As to enjoying victory, I give myself the night of the contest, and the next morning, and then I reign it back in. I'm back at the gym and back on my usual #s by Monday.

S
    WNBF & USBF Natural Pro

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Routines are king they maybe boring but they sure give great results
    Builds 10 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks

Discover the 5 essential SECRETS to build muscle faster

Free report reveals it all....

http://fastmusclebuildingformula.com/