MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Default Banged out 2 reps at 225lbs, then.....oh ****!!! Almost crushed my chest!

Ok guys, I was at my gym today and I started with 225lbs instead of working my way up to it. (strike 1). Then, I didn't get a spotter (strike 2), and I banged out 2 reps at 225lbs, so I'm like, "I can freakin do 1 more!" (strike 3). As I am struggling to lift it, a guy comes rushing over to get the damn thing off me! DAMN! I FELT LIKE A FREAKING IDIOT! Has anybody else who is over 45 ever done this?! I was amazed I got up 2 reps at 225, so I am not "whimpy", but has anyone ever felt like "loud music" breaks your concentration while lifting, or is it just me?! Am I getting "old" and "grey", or do us 45 plus year olds have a hard time lifting when it's like loud as hell in the gym?! Also, does anybody out there have any suggestions to help me with this sticking point?! I know I can bench more than 225! Any suggestions? I am now using a couple of different supplements to jack up my test level. Any thing else I can do or take besides prohormones or a cycle of roids?!

M&S Senior Member DownToBusiness's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I wouldn't get quite as hung up on the 225 number if I were you. Consider dropping back to 185 or 205 and trying to increase reps, or working for the heaviest weight you can get for 5 or 8 reps. If you approach every bench day like that/with that mentality, you probably won't see your best results.

Think you could confront 225 once every 4 bench workouts or something like that? A) Makes it easy to track progress, B) Makes it easy to achieve progress Gotta give yourself enough time-under-tension to really break those muscles down.
    6'0" 170lb
    "Get Mean or Get Out"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Time for my first post in the forums. I'm 47, 6'1" and 212lbs and lifetime clean. I've been weight training this go around for a little more than 3 years after spending almost 20 years as a skinny 170lb bicycle racer. IMO you seem to need to do a few things to get your bench squared away. Step one would be to pick a program and stick with it for a while. I'm on my first mesocycle of the classic Jim Wendler 531 after running Steve Shaw's Power Muscle Burn 4 day split for two years. When I started out my bench 1rm was around 165#. Just this past Thursday I set a PR of 290# and I never would have accomplished that without strictly following a program. You also need to religiously follow a warmup regimen before doing any heavy compound lift. It's important to a 20 year old but its an absolute necessity to a 40+ lifter or athlete. Spend a few months on one of the routines I mentioned and I guarantee your bench will improve.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

thanks guys for the info!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by biggreg052068 View Post
    Ok guys, I was at my gym today and I started with 225lbs instead of working my way up to it. (strike 1). Then, I didn't get a spotter (strike 2), and I banged out 2 reps at 225lbs, so I'm like, "I can freakin do 1 more!" (strike 3). As I am struggling to lift it, a guy comes rushing over to get the damn thing off me! DAMN! I FELT LIKE A FREAKING IDIOT! Has anybody else who is over 45 ever done this?! I was amazed I got up 2 reps at 225, so I am not "whimpy", but has anyone ever felt like "loud music" breaks your concentration while lifting, or is it just me?! Am I getting "old" and "grey", or do us 45 plus year olds have a hard time lifting when it's like loud as hell in the gym?! Also, does anybody out there have any suggestions to help me with this sticking point?! I know I can bench more than 225! Any suggestions? I am now using a couple of different supplements to jack up my test level. Any thing else I can do or take besides prohormones or a cycle of roids?!
    Hello all new to the forum. I had a similar incident like yours, but the bar came down on my neck!!! Those neck tensing exercises during martial arts training sure came in handy that night. I tensed up my neck and rolled to the side letting the bar slide off me. You can use any search engine to find what you need because there are so many to choose from it'll take you a couple of days to pick the ones you want to use.

I take whey powder, creatine, BCAA's, lysine, tryptophan, tyrosine, arginine, and a slew of vitamin and minerals. My bedroom like like a mini GNC.
    Last edited by TaiChiChuan; 04-06-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

yeh I train at home and stopped playing music while training after reading somehthing about Steve Reeves never playing music while training because he wanted to put 100% focus into his training with no distractions,and that started me thinking "How can you be fully concentrating on the task at hand if you are also listening to music?"

The conclusion I came to is this "You are not concentration 100% on the task at hand because your concentration is divided"

Don't let the magizines and bro science tell you that music playing doing a workout helps because it's bro-science through and through

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

I can't stand music whilst lifting, it is distracting, I prefer the clanging of the metal plates; though, with cardio, it's the opposite, music is great and silence sucks.

M&S Senior Member DownToBusiness's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Conan View Post
    yeh I train at home and stopped playing music while training after reading somehthing about Steve Reeves never playing music while training because he wanted to put 100% focus into his training with no distractions,and that started me thinking "How can you be fully concentrating on the task at hand if you are also listening to music?"

The conclusion I came to is this "You are not concentration 100% on the task at hand because your concentration is divided"

Don't let the magizines and bro science tell you that music playing doing a workout helps because it's bro-science through and through
    "Bro science" = What works for most people, and generally good advice if you're not trying this already? ; )
    I agree that clanging plates and war cry's are a great sound track on their own, so maybe you could be a little more forgiving to the guys at Men'sHealth that're just trying to help out - and this is probably the most benign realm they could give advice in, not like supplements or gym memberships. Not like Bose and Apple are paying off the columnists to get more people jamming in the gym.
    6'0" 170lb
    "Get Mean or Get Out"

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by DownToBusiness View Post
    "Bro science" = What works for most people, and generally good advice if you're not trying this already? ; )
    I agree that clanging plates and war cry's are a great sound track on their own, so maybe you could be a little more forgiving to the guys at Men'sHealth that're just trying to help out - and this is probably the most benign realm they could give advice in, not like supplements or gym memberships. Not like Bose and Apple are paying off the columnists to get more people jamming in the gym.
    I'm just irk that so many people want cry theres scientific proof for playing music during a workout,when everyone knows toss out the cash and said studies will say there's proof it helps,when I can proof from playing music during a workout that I can not concentrate fully on my workout with toons playing and if the word was put out you could probably find plenty of people woitht eh same problem that could this refute said scientific studies claiming it helps.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

I am not 45+, but I am 42.

I don't think being able to do 1 or 2 reps of anything really says much. It is just bragging rights. That is not to say I don't like having bragging rights, but other than impressing other people it doesn't much get you to your goals.

If you are going to max you must have a spotter, and doing 2 reps is pretty much maxxing IMO. To get a good strength/bulking workout you need to do more reps.

I workout alone like you so I worry about the situation you describe (or at least my wife can't spot me, if I hit muscle failure she won't be able to help me). I use free weights when I can, but if I am going to go to muscle failure I don't want a bunch of weights falling on my head/neck if I can't handle it.

I use the machine BP. I started out 5 years ago at 160lbs reps of 8 and have gotten to 325lbs reps. Most people do not like the machine and say it is not a real bench press. To that I say the last time I did a 'real' bench press (had spotters) I maxed at 380.

Use free weights when you can, but if you can't don't put yourself in danger. It isn't worth it.

I am just putting this in because some people on this board like to give me grief that I don't do 'real bench press'...

I weigh 191 lbs and am 5'6.5. I do 3 sets (8 reps) of weighted dips (no machine, a chain between my legs) of 105. Either I have the triceps of a god AND the pecs of an old woman, or their is a combination of both.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I actually wear headphones and crank 70's and 80's rock, so I guess liking lound music is an individual thing. At 48 I don't really do super low rep sets on any big compound move, my heavy days I pyramid up to 4 to 6 rep sets, lighter days I stay between 8 and 12 rep sets. I also always rack the weight with just a little gas still in the tank and only train each body part once a week now, doing cardio on my off days. I hate backing off the frequency of my lifting but it has helped reduce joint pain and seems to have helped my strength gains as well.

I had shoulder surgery three years ago and had been doing nothing but dumbbell presses post-op. When I finally got back to barbell pressing I was at 185 for 4 to 6 rep sets. I hit the 225 for 4 to 6 barrier about 6 months ago but haven't moved past that since then. I might be at my limit given my size and age, I don't really push it too hard as I don't want to re-injure my shoulder. I'm 5'8" and 165 so I'm pretty happy with my bench. I'd love to get back to 275 or even 315 (college days) but honestly I just don't know if it's doable at this stage of my life.

What I really need to work on is my squat! I couldn't squat with my shoulder injury and finally got the nerve to start back a few weeks ago. 185 kicks my butt for 6 to 8 rep sets. First time in my life my squat is less than my bench.