MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

Default simple weight/gym workout for my running.

hi, im a amature 800 m runner. I have heard that some weights are pretty good for runners looking to decrease their times. is there anyone out there that could give me a few tips/advice/ideas. maybe even a routine! I didn't want to start training on some mass gaining thing because I thought It might be detrimental to my running but putting on some muscle does sound appealing as im pretty skinnyany way , some ideas would be greatand thanks to all those in advance.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

don't wanna sound impatient but is there any tips out there? thanks all

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

try doing plyometrics instead

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance

could you explain a routine maybe. thanks for any ideas!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

strength training is never a bad idea. there are plenty of 5x5 full body type strength routines that will work for what you want
    mass comes from how much you eat

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I'm a runner, and 400m and 800m is my favourite event. I started training with weights 2 years ago and it definitely improved my running, especially my speed in the 400m, so I highly recommend it. Depending on how often you run, a 3 day a week lifting schedule works well. As far as the actual exercises I would go with a full-body workout and incorporate a lot of heavy compound movements such as power cleans. These are great for building power and I would recommend looking into a 5x5 system as has already been stated. If your looking to develop muscular endurance instead then you can lower the weight and perform more reps.

Hope this helps, weights certainly improved my running anyway
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable"

-Socrates
    Fitness website aimed at teens: www.untypicalteen.webs.com

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Quote Originally Posted by 800runner View Post
    don't wanna sound impatient but is there any tips out there? thanks all
    In my opinion, you should try these on your rest day! (If you have 2 rest day then add 1 more on your easy pace running)

Balance Plank
    Start by lying on your stomach and prop your weight on your forearms and toes. (a) Keep a straight line from your head to your feet and hold this position for the entire exercise, making sure your abs, glutes, and lower back are engaged. (b) Simply hold it here, or if you’re up to the challenge, simultaneously lift the right leg and the left arm, hold for two to three seconds, and switch.

Single-Leg Glute Bridge

Lie on your back with your legs bent and feet flat on the ground. Next, lift your hips so there is a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. (a) Extend one leg straight out, hold for a few seconds, then place it back down on the ground and repeat on the other side. (b) Make sure your hips don’t dip and your butt doesn’t sag to the ground during the movement.

Side Plank Leg Lift
    Lying on your right side, lift your body so your weight is propped up on your forearm and the side of your right foot (or, stagger both feet to modify). There should be a straight diagonal line from your head to your feet. (a) Hold steady, engaging the core muscles. Or, for an even greater challenge, complete 10 lateral leg raises, by slowly lifting your left leg to a 45-degree angle and lowering it back down to the start position. (b) Switch to the left side and repeat.

Modified Bird Dog
    In a tabletop position on your hands and knees, lift your left arm so it’s parallel to the ground. (a) At the same time, lift your right leg back behind you so your thigh is parallel to the ground and your shin is perpendicular. Your knee should be bent at 90 degrees and your glute muscle activated. (b) Hold for several seconds and switch sides.

Supine Bridge Leg Lift
    Lie on your back with your weight on your elbows and heels, lift your hips, and keep a straight line from your toes to your shoulders. (a) Next, maintaining a solid core and not breaking at the waist, lift your right leg eight inches off the ground, hold for two to three seconds. (b) Repeat with the opposite leg.

Good Luck my friend!