MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: cable crunches

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Question cable crunches

Anybody else out there that finds that the weight they use for cable crunches literally makes it difficult to keep your butt on the ground? I can do 50+ reps at 55 lbs, but as soon as I move it up to 60, I can hardly keep more than my shins in full contact with the floor!
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strength. When you go through hardship & decide not to surrender, that is strength.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Some exercises just aren't suitable for some trainees. I myself find these stimulate the quadriceps more than my abs. No matter how I adjust my form. I found performing them standing was better. But nowadays, I find front squats are best for ab development for me.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

If thats the case then you are not isolating your abs when performing the excercise and probably using incorrect form. Your probably moving the weight with your arms, shoulders and hips rather than your abs. Change the form and keep rigid throuihgt your arms shoulders and legs.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by AZAUK81 View Post
    If thats the case then you are not isolating your abs when performing the excercise and probably using incorrect form. Your probably moving the weight with your arms, shoulders and hips rather than your abs. Change the form and keep rigid throuihgt your arms shoulders and legs.
    Well firstly, this move is not supposed to 'isolate the abs'. It is a core move. The core is made up of many more muscles than the abdominal muscles.

And actually, it is not for certain that anyone who doesn't get results from this move are performing it incorrectly. A lot of people cannot perform upright rows without discomfort. I can. Now does that mean I am superior to all those who cant, and that they are performing the exercise incorrectly? I'd be extremely arrogant to state such a thing, wouldn't you agree?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

I find the exercise is quite good. Though I often see peeps doing it in an ineffective way, I think. If you place knees on the floor and the cable over head and with your abs you should crunch your abdominals as if you were doing an abdominal crunch-so curl forwards-elbows to the floor. What I often see is people bending forward keeping trunk straight. I often feel that this is not training your abs effectively as you are performing hip flexion and not abdominal crunching. Am I wrong to suspect this occurrence and the effectiveness of the exercise?

(When I started to perform this move I did it with one arm and the other arm was on my abs and found I got a much better/more intense as I curl the cable bringing my ribs forwards and did not feel it quite as much with the full trunk forwards/back straight to the floor. Has anyone else found this too?)
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

With cable crunches, imagine you're trying to suck your own dick. Hope that helps.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    With cable crunches, imagine you're trying to suck your own dick. Hope that helps.
    Well that certainly makes my mind up. I will never perform this exercise again. Ever!

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Oh go on! If we could, we would.

And we'd probably never leave the house too...

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. – Socrates

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Well firstly, this move is not supposed to 'isolate the abs'. It is a core move. The core is made up of many more muscles than the abdominal muscles.

And actually, it is not for certain that anyone who doesn't get results from this move are performing it incorrectly. A lot of people cannot perform upright rows without discomfort. I can. Now does that mean I am superior to all those who cant, and that they are performing the exercise incorrectly? I'd be extremely arrogant to state such a thing, wouldn't you agree?
    Actually I would beg to differ. I would say the cable crunch, WHEN PERFORMED CORRECTLY, is an ab isolation excercise. If you read the cable crunch excercise guide on this very website it will tell you the same. It is a very difficult excercise to get right, and no disrespect was meant. However unless you have abs of steel, 50 reps at that weight using correct technique should deffinatly at the very least give you a tingle????

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Actually I would beg to differ. I would say the cable crunch, WHEN PERFORMED CORRECTLY, is an ab isolation excercise. If you read the cable crunch excercise guide on this very website it will tell you the same.
    Well, I'm afraid to say you are wrong. And don't live-and-die by every piece of advice you gleam from the internet. Even this site, which is reputable compared to many others. For an example, on here, you will notice that the Romanian dead lift is is incorrectly determined to be the same as a stiff-legged dead lift. This is absolutely false.

The cable crunch is not an isolation exercise. When 'performed correctly' it will target the abdominal muscles, the obliques and the lower back to a high degree. In addition to that, you will work the triceps, the rhomboids and the pectorial minor to a lesser degree. So much for isolation!

It is a very difficult excercise to get right, and no disrespect was meant. However unless you have abs of steel, 50 reps at that weight using correct technique should deffinatly at the very least give you a tingle????
    No disrespect taken. I know exactly how to perform this exercise. Just like I know exactly how to perform the barbell flat bench press. Do I 'feel it' in my abdominal muscles when performing the former? Yes, but it still doesn't give me the best results. That is just down to my personal ergonomic limitations. Similarly for the flat barbell press - I 'feel it' in my pectorial muscles, but I get far better results from dumbbell flat press. Again - my personal build is what makes that so.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by EdHz View Post
    Oh go on! If we could, we would.

And we'd probably never leave the house too...
    You can most definitely subtract me from your interpretation of 'we' ;-).

Anyone of a religious belief and who would like to do so can blame their god for not being able to do so. The extra rib that man carries...

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

The reason I posted that is that I do cable crunches most weeks and had a friend with me once. He was making it more of a hip hinge movement and finding it ineffective. I said imagine you're trying to felate yourself and he instantly mastered it. Honestly it's the best form tip for the exercise.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

warm up: 150 push-ups- 6 reps of 25
    squats: 1st rep of 12 20kg, 2nd rep 12 25kg, 3rd rep 8 35 kg and 4th rep 20 15 kg
    cable crunches: 1st rep 12 10kg, 2nd rep 12 15kg, 3rd rep 8 20 kg, 4th rep 15 10 kg

first 15 minutes! is it good? I feel pumped right away

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Wcup2014 View Post
    squats: 1st rep of 12 20kg, 2nd rep 12 25kg, 3rd rep 8 35 kg and 4th rep 20 15 kg
    cable crunches: 1st rep 12 10kg, 2nd rep 12 15kg, 3rd rep 8 20 kg, 4th rep 15 10 kg

Please somebody explain how this helps anyone?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Not sure what you mean by this Wcup2014 - Do you do 150 press ups in order to warm yourself up for a squat session? 5 minutes on the bike or the stair climber followed by a couple warm up sets should suffice.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I really don't have much education with the whole building, so I started watching videos on youtube and started my own routines, every day for 1 hour, except Sunday. I just do different type of lifting. I have increase my mass I do look bigger now. I just want to make sure I am doing it the right way. I've bough some supplements to help me recover and boost my energy as well.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Wcup 2014, do yourself a favor and quit doing simple workouts of pushups, squats(with hardly more than the weight of the bar), & cable crunches. Doing that every day & then doing something different on the 7th day, equating to 6 days of the same w/o & a 7th day of something new, is doing yourself a disservice. There are many programs available on the internet & in books that can help you with your goals & give you a template to write your own off of.
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strength. When you go through hardship & decide not to surrender, that is strength.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by DGBSSN View Post
    Wcup 2014, do yourself a favor and quit doing simple workouts of pushups, squats(with hardly more than the weight of the bar), & cable crunches. Doing that every day & then doing something different on the 7th day, equating to 6 days of the same w/o & a 7th day of something new, is doing yourself a disservice. There are many programs available on the internet & in books that can help you with your goals & give you a template to write your own off of.
    just started a 12 week training on bodybuilding.com! thank you

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

just started a 12 week training on bodybuilding.com! thank you
    Traitor! This site is far superior ;-)