MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default What is Clear Muscle, and Why You Want to Take It.

I like supplements. I like the idea of supplements, taking a substance to enhance the effects of a good diet and hard work ethic in the gym makes sense to me. With that being said I tend to take very few supplements. Fish oil, creatine, whey and casein protein are about all of the substances I take on top of my diet, yet that is about to change. As of today, Clear Muscle by MuscleTech is available in retailers around the world. I decided to scour databases looking for information regarding the main ingredient in Clear Muscle, Free acid beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate. The results, impressive.

What is a free acid beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate anyway?

The last time you heard of any ingredient with a name similar to the one above was most likely in your high school biology class. Creatine, whey, fish oil, these are all words that are easy to understand, easily identifiable. Free acid beta-hydro-whatever-you-call-it is not nearly as identifiable, and quite frankly is a little bit intimidating. Thankfully, understanding what free acid beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate really is, is not terribly difficult. Let’s break it down.

Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate is a metabolite. A metabolite is a byproduct of metabolism. Metabolism as we all now can be broken down in two ways, catabolism and anabolism. Catabolism breaks down organic matter (your muscles, among other things) into energy, while anabolism uses other sources of energy to build the components of protein (aka your muscles). Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate is a metabolite that manages to support anabolism while decreasing catabolism, and is naturally occurring in human beings. It is the byproduct of the essential amino acid leucine, look on the label of your whey protein or BCAA container and you will see the word leucine written on it. We like leucine, it aids in protein synthesis. This Beta-theta- (this could be a new name for a fraternity or sorority) compound, which for the remainder of this article we are going to refer to as HMB-FA, is essentially a necessary component of the breakdown of leucine in our body during protein synthesis. Simple enough.

This Sounds Familiar
    Before you say it, I will: creatine. HMB-FA is starting to take a similar shape to that of creatine. Creatine is a metabolite and naturally occurring in our bodies, and it is one of the most scientifically backed and most trusted supplements in the world for strength training and muscle development. HMB-FA clinically is not at the same level of prestige as creatine, but the foundation is there.

Similarly to creatine HMB-FA occurs in rather small levels in the body, and can be increased by eating certain foods. Grapefruit, alfalfa, and catfish are three good examples of foods high in HMB-FA, yet unfortunately for us, not high enough. The human body naturally produces about 0.2-0.4 grams per day, enough to get by, but not the most effective amount. The dosage in Clear Muscle is 3 grams of HMB-FA per day, a substantial increase for our bodies to handle, yet in clinical studies the level of toxicity of HMB-FA has been found to be near 100 grams of HMB-FA per day, well exceeding any dosage any athlete would ever take. Yet this begs the question, so what?

Gain Muscle by taking a Pill?
    The thought above goes against all aspects of human intuition. You can’t gain muscle by taking a pill, and that is the truth, but you can gain muscle by taking a pill and pushing yourself moderately hard in the gym. That’s the truth. A 2013 study published in Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition compared four different groups of test subjects. The study aimed to see if HMB-FA had any effect on lean mass, strength, and power. The four groups were monitored over a 12 week period, with measurements on lean mass, strength, and power taken every 4 weeks. The groups were broken down as follows;

Group 1 was prescribed 3 grams of HMB-FA and 400mg of Peak ATP (similar to creatine)

Group 2 was prescribed 3 grams of HMB-FA

Group 3 was prescribed 400mg of Peak ATP

Group 4 was prescribed nothing (placebo)

The results were statistically significant, and borderline staggering. Group 1 was overall the most successful, with increases in strength, power, and lean body mass occurring at the highest levels. Coming in second was Group 2, by taking only HMB-FA these test subjects increased their strength and power, while also increasing their lean body mass. Group 3, taking only creatine received moderate increases in power and lean body mass, while stumbling with a decrease in strength.

This promotional graphic from MuscleTech is surprisingly accurate.

The placebo group managed a decrease in strength, and the weakest results in power and lean body mass of all four test groups. The most outstanding part of the study, the last line of the results section; “fat percentage only decreased in the HMB-FA supplemented groups.” You read it, fat percentages in the test subjects actually fell when taking HMB-FA, and to build on top of that the study also suggests that, ” these supplements also appear to blunt the typically overreaching response seen to high volume, low recovery training cycles.” This truly is the ultimate GymBro supplement, less recovery time, more volume, better results.

And it Protects my Muscles?
    A general review article published by Springer-Verlag Wien 2013 entitled Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate supplementation in health and disease: a systematic review of randomized trials shines even more light on the benefits of taking HMB-FA. The paper, which draws on multiple different HMB-FA clinical studies reads, ” Pre-exercise HMB-FA supplementation significantly lowered lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and creatine kinase (CK) activities thus mitigating exercise-induced muscle damage.” Taking HMB-FA before exercise has clinically been shown to decrease the chances of getting an exercise related injury. Fantastic. Another paper writes, ” HMB-FA appears to speed recovery from high intensity exercise.” A myriad of other big words fill multiple articles all preaching one common theme, HMB-FA protects your muscles while also helping you become stronger and leaner.

Dosing and Timing
    Many studies have been done on HMB-FA, but it is here that we start to approach a gray area. Dosing is straightforward, and scientifically proven to be effective at a set rate, but timing is up for debate. Dosages of HMB-FA are proven to be effective for increases in strength, power, and lean muscle at 3mg a day. Going up to 6mg per day showed no significant increase as compared to 3mg.

Timing for HMB-FA varies from study to study, but one fact is known. You want to take 3mg of HMB-FA 30-60 minutes before high intensity exercise to gain the immediate, acute effects of the supplement, while taking it as prescribed, at breakfast, lunch and dinner guarantees that you will have the chronic, long term effects of HMB-FA. What does this mean? This goes back to the great creatine loading debate, you will hear different answers from different people, but generally, as long as you take your creatine at some point during the day you are set. It has not been scientifically proven that this is equally as effective for HMB-FA, but the thought might be that someday a study will show this. In the mean time, take it as you see fit, just make sure you get your 3mg every day.

Who is HMB-FA for?
    Studies have looked at HMB-FA’s effects on individuals with extensive training backgrounds, individuals who had never trained before, the elderly, the sickly, and everyone in between. The finding support the idea that HMB-FA is effective for everyone, with no statistically different results depending on prior training experience.

Studies do suggest that HMB-FA is only for people engaging in high intensity training, those working with free-weights and compound movements, yet also suggests that beginners who have never touched a weight before will get similar results from initially doing less intense exercises.

So What makes Clear Muscle different?

There is one main ingredient in MuscleTech’s new Clear Muscle product, Free Acid HMB-FA. Free acid in this case only means that the supplement is more quickly utilized in your body as compared to HMB-FA-ca, the same substance, just digested less quickly.

How to Take HMB-FA
    As suggested in the study above you want to take HMB-FA in addition to creatine. The most impressive and really mind blowing results in strength, power, and lean body mass come from a stack of HMB-FA and creatine. Currently you can buy HMB-FA from many different companies. There is one issue here, these companies sell HMB in the form of calcium beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate. 1 gram of this calcium compound is much less effective in the body then the straight source of free acid beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate that comes from MuscleTech’s Clear Muscle. The key here is you want a supplement that has FREE ACID in front of the HMB on its label, this is the difference between rip off and super supplement.

Clear Muscle really is the first supplement on the market to harness the true power of HMB-FA in its pure form. As a result, the premium price that it demands is justified. Stacking Clear Muscle with any form of creatine monohydrate is a good bet to see some serious results.

Article had to be cut to below 10,000 characters, read the whole thing here:
    Last edited by Steve; 05-22-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Link removed.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Thanks for the article writeup.
    Clear Muscle is a game changer that's for sure.

We invested thousands of free bottles to loggers within the last month and they all started today.
    Can't wait to see what happens
    MuscleTech Representative

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    Thanks for the article writeup.
    Clear Muscle is a game changer that's for sure.

We invested thousands of free bottles to loggers within the last month and they all started today.
    Can't wait to see what happens
    It really is impressive stuff. From the journal reports that I was reading it really seems like this stuff in the free acid form is potent. I'm curious to see the results from the loggers, but I have a suspicion that if they push themselves even moderately hard in the gym they will see some impressive results!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

HMB has been around for many years, and is already included in good supplements such as USN Muscle fuel Anabolic

http://www.nutriline.org/article/15
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    HMB has been around for many years, and is already included in good supplements such as USN Muscle fuel Anabolic

This is true, and people need to understand the differences in these HMB supplements and Clear Muscle. Clear Muscle contains HMB-FA. Only recently have there been comprehensive studies on HMB-FA, and the results put to shame HMB in its carbonate form.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

HMB-FA or BetaTOR are exclusive to MuscleTech.
    Hmb itself has been around for years, But HMB-FA in studies is superior to just HMB.

It's worth reading into brother, You won't see another company carry this product.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Come on Doug; you can shill better than that surely? Besides, why let the matter of respected pre-existing products get in the way of selling this brand new shiny tub or... whatever it is... extra special source? Magical fairy dust?

Not to mention those huge letters spelling 'EVER!'. I bet the USN packaging doesn't posses anywhere near the same size lettering.

Having said that, does the psychotic looking gentleman on the packaging kind of make you hesitant to consume it?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Id like to read the full study from this:

Lowery, Ryan P., Jordan Joy, John A. Rathmacher, Shawn M. Baier, John C. Fuller, Ralf Jäger, Stephanie M C Wilson, and Jacob M. Wilson. “Effects of 12 Weeks of Beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate Free Acid, Adenosine Triphosphate, or a Combination on Muscle Mass, Strength, and Power in Resistance Trained Individuals.” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 10.Suppl 1 (2013): P17. Web.
    would appreciate a link to the PDF.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by madjinx View Post
    Id like to read the full study from this:

would appreciate a link to the PDF.
    I wish I could get it to you. I'm a college student so I use our library system to access these journals. I'd try going to your local library, they might be able to get you a copy. Sorry man...

EDIT:

Did a quick google search... This isn't the whole thing, but provides the abstract and results..
    http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/155...-10-S1-P17.pdf

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I dont see how this form of HMB is really going to be better than the HMB already on the market, which as is, is only conditionally worth using. I would need access to the study in full to look into it anyway.
    Last edited by madjinx; 05-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I dont see how this form of HMB is really going to be better than the HMB already on the market, which as is, is only conditionally worth using. I would need access to the study in full to look into it anyway.
    Can you not read? It clearly states 'MOST POWERFUL MUSCLEBUILDER (sic) EVER!'.

What else do you need to know?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Then you do not understand the pathways very well.
    http://www.hmb.org/publications/publ...nCategoryID=10
    http://www.leanitup.com/wp-content/u...ementaiton.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by darrenash View Post
    Can you not read? It clearly states 'MOST POWERFUL MUSCLEBUILDER (sic) EVER!'.

What else do you need to know?
    You called me a troll, yet you constantly troll.
    Obvious is obvious. If you have noithing to add to the add in terms of science/knowledge, Please get out.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I understand how HMB works.

I asked how free HMB was going to better than calcium HMB. I know there are studies that measure plasma levels of each to each (free acid gel vs calcium HMB) other, and free acid gel has a large increase in plasma level. Just because you get an increased plasma level, doesn't mean better results.

I've seen studies on both calcium HMB and free acid form, and both show compatible results. I have not seen a study that compared results head to head. That's what I'm interested in.

The article in the OP mentions the justification for a "premium price". That suggests its going to be more expensive than calcium HMB. If the results are just as good as calcium HMB, then there is no justification for paying more for free HMB, if you even need HMB, which again is conditional.

Even the OP has a citation that says there isnt enough research to tell which is better than the other.

Of course, if you plan to charge what the average reputable brand charge for calcium HMB ($30/month O.N.) then of course that's a mute point. The only thing left to discuss then is if HMB is worth supplementing at all.
    Last edited by madjinx; 05-21-2014 at 03:56 PM.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    What is cardio? --- http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/78127-Cardio-What-is-it?highlight=

Bodyspace --- http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JBWarren70/

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

I understand how HMB works.

I asked how free HMB was going to better than calcium HMB. I know there are studies that measure plasma levels of each to each (free acid gel vs calcium HMB) other, and free acid gel has a large increase in plasma level. Just because you get an increased plasma level, doesn't mean better results.

I've seen studies on both calcium HMB and free acid form, and both show compatible results. I have not seen a study that compared results head to head. That's what I'm interested in.

The article in the OP mentions the justification for a "premium price". That suggests its going to be more expensive than calcium HMB. If the results are just as good as calcium HMB, then there is no justification for paying more for free HMB, if you even need HMB, which again is conditional.

Even the OP has a citation that says there isnt enough research to tell which is better than the other.

Of course, if you plan to charge what the average reputable brand charge for calcium HMB ($30/month O.N.) then of course that's a mute point. The only thing left to discuss then is if HMB is worth supplementing at all.
    If you look at the results of the HMB CA and the HMB-FA studies, it's pretty clear which works more effectively...

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I don't know why you posted that graph. I already acknowledged free hmb increases plasma levels better than calcium hmb. That doesn't mean it's going to be more effective in producing results.

Where is the research that shows free hmb will produce better measurable results over calcium hmb?
    Last edited by madjinx; 05-22-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Obvious is obvious.
    What else would it be?

If you have noithing...
    Nothing.

Please get out.
    Out of what? If you are insinuating I am not free to make comments on this site, I direct you to loo within a dictionary and check the meaning of freedom.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I understand how HMB works....
    I will save you some time. Have you heard the expression; only a fool argues with a fool? Don't fall into that trap with that particular poster.

Regarding that poster, if you don't agree with them, you are not welcome to post here anyhow. Apparently.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

I don't know why you posted that graph. I already acknowledged free hmb increases plasma levels better than calcium hmb. That doesn't mean it's going to be more effective in producing results.

Where is the research that shows free hmb will produce better measurable results over calcium hmb?
    Look at the studies...
    The results showed greater results in the HMB-FA vs the HMB-CA studies...

What else would it be?
    Nothing.
    Out of what? If you are insinuating I am not free to make comments on this site, I direct you to loo within a dictionary and check the meaning of freedom.
    What does the meaning of freedom have to do with anything?
    You don't have freedom on a privately owned website bud, You may want to look it up.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Come on Doug; you can shill better than that surely?
    Please limit the personal attacks. Debate the topic intelligently or move along.
    Big & Strong = Heavy Compounds + Progression + Food

Follow M&S: Facebook Twitter

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Look at the studies...
    There arent any studies that directly compare ca-hmb to fa-hmb, at least that I know of. You havent linked any yet (Ive asked).

What studies of comparable design are you looking at that show a clear, in your words "game changing", difference.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

There arent any studies that directly compare ca-hmb to fa-hmb, at least that I know of. You havent linked any yet (Ive asked).

What studies of comparable design are you looking at that show a clear, in your words "game changing", difference.
    There are not many concret one's comparing the two directly..
    But there are a few, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21134325

HMB in the free acid- gel appears to be a superior delivery system for HMB than the calcium salt due to the higher peak plasma levels of HMB and the more efficient utilization. Higher levels of HMB in the blood may have greater effects on protein synthesis, especially when ingested close to a workout.

Can you achieve the same plasma levels with HMB-CA? Maybe.
    But it takes much more hmb-ca and no one at this point knows that amount, But it's obvious that it will take much more.
    So in terms of price and WHAT we know right now, HMB-FA is actually the better option.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

You just said "maybe" enough to show you or muscletech really dont know one way or the other.

It amazes me how even though you admit there is no real evidence you try and say fa-hmb is the better option, at 2x's the price of ca-hmb. What we know right now is there is no evidence one way or the other.

Reaching a definitive conclusion with an admitted lack of evidence is a logical fallacy.

You really have to sell you sole to be a company rep.

Im done with this. You cant/wont provide any evidence that I asked for. That shows enough how BS it is.
    Last edited by madjinx; 05-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

You just said "maybe" enough to show you or muscletech really dont know one way or the other.

It amazes me how even though you admit there is no real evidence you try and say fa-hmb is the better option, at 2x's the price of ca-hmb. What we know right now is there is no evidence one way or the other.

Reaching a definitive conclusion with an admitted lack of evidence is a logical fallacy.

You really have to sell you sole to be a company rep.

Im done with this. You cant/wont provide any evidence that I asked for. That shows enough how BS it is.
    What are you talking about. Honestly you are running in a circle.
    I said maybe for the fact that there are not a whole ton of studies comparing high doses of HMB-Ca. The maybe was in response to "can the same plasma levels be achieved with hmb-ca".
    You're asking me to pull things out of thin air... You need to research HMB and plasma levels before you continue bashing.

It seems you don't understand that better absorption and HMB levels in the plasma will infact = better results.

I posted the evidence... Comparing the two plasma levels. Can you not read?
    It shows HMB-CA and HMB-FA plasma levels.
    If you read the HMB-FA studies, and the HMB-CA studies that are published, You will see the plasma levels.

It amazes me people will bash a subject with zero knowledge on it.
    Last edited by BlueRev; 05-22-2014 at 05:37 PM.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

What are you talking about. Honestly you are running in a circle.
    I said maybe for the fact that there are not a whole ton of studies comparing high doses of HMB-Ca. The maybe was in response to "can the same plasma levels be achieved with hmb-ca".
    You're asking me to pull things out of thin air... You need to research HMB and plasma levels before you continue bashing.

It seems you don't understand that better absorption and HMB levels in the plasma will infact = better results.

I posted the evidence... Comparing the two plasma levels. Can you not read?
    It shows HMB-CA and HMB-FA plasma levels.
    If you read the HMB-FA studies, and the HMB-CA studies that are published, You will see the plasma levels.

It amazes me people will bash a subject with zero knowledge on it.
    Read the Logs bro
    Team ScoobyPrep
    Primaforce Online Representative