MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Other

Default Strength Training for Dance

Hey all -

I am looking to incorporate strength training as a part of my dance training - also for the general health benefits - and I'm just looking for advice. I don't have a ton of direction; I have ideas, but I am too new to trust myself.

I don't expect it to be quick - like anything else, it takes time. I'm going to be abroad studying, so I have 16 months to train before I'll be back en troupe. Is that enough time to begin to see some benefit?

If you could toss me some recommendations (or better yet, good resources to learn), I'd be incredibly thankful.
    Here is some general info about me, to help make my needs more specific.

1. Of course, I will be doing a full body routine - but my particular areas of need are as follows:
    - Core strength. It is fairly good, but I think that in any sport, more core strength is never a bad thing.
    I am especially looking for a body weight/floor/bar routine to do in the morning, alongside yoga.
    - Mass isn't really desirable in my situation, but my frame could be helped by slightly broader shoulders and a better chest.

2. I am 5'9+3/4", at about 140 pounds. Dance, rock climbing, and lots of running has set me up to have a good endurance. I am much quicker and agile than I am strong. My diet is very good. Self-control is my most developed ability.

3. Muscular control is my #1 goal of weight lifting. I imagine that comes simply as part of the game, but for what it's worth.

4. I do have access to a personal trainer through the university, for a small fee. I don't need encouragement or motivation, I just need knowledge of the sport and help with form. Is this an acceptable thing to ask, or would it be an insult to a trainer?

Thanks again,
    Samuel
    "Nobody ever drowned in sweat"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Other

Thanks! Those links were wonderful. I'll sift through them again over the next couple days to make sure I take things in.

My macros are alright. I don't eat any sort of junk at all; frankly, my diet consists of a wide variety of veggies, fresh eggs, and some occasional fish. I drink water and herbal tea. I'm working on upping the amount of calories I am comfortable eating; I'm in a starvation phase right now, as I was homeless last month, and only got around 800 calories daily. That's steadily improving as I'm now comfortably sheltered, my body just can't handle a whole lot of food.

My cardio is fairly well set, but too much. I walk everywhere and enjoy going on runs. My cardio is always going to be more than optimal for weight training, as dance rehearsal is close to a part time job for me.

My summer classes are about to end, I work odd hours, and dance/piano occupies the most significant amount of my productive time. But there is still lots of time, as I'm 19 with few responsibilities. I've the luxury of having a very well established gym & training complex within about a five minute walk, and the availability to go pretty much any day of the week. My issue is more that I don't possess knowledge on a wide repertoire of lifts, nor the ideal form for more than the most basic of them - meaning that I lack the ability to put really even a simple workout plan together. That's why I was considering a trainer; this in particular is something that I imagine there are notable consequences to doing wrong.

My personal judgement is that I'm sitting on a very well cleaned slate, it's just a matter of putting things in the right places.
    I could be wrong on that.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

If you can get a trainer to teach you to squat, deadlift, bench and row, I'd strongly recommend it. By following a program like stronglifts or starting strength you could build a lot of strength over 16 months, without adding too much size. You will need to eat to build muscle and strength, if you aimed to gain 20lb over the 16 month period that would likely be a sensible goal and would bring you significant strength gains without making you too bulky.

I've been doing strength training for around 12 months now, my current lifts are in my signature. I'm a lot heavier than you at a similar height (189lbs), I've gained around 10lb since I started training but look slimmer and much more defined from the training.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There is your #1 problem
    your starving yoruself.
    You need to fix your diet first and foremost
    dont neglect carbs, and you need to be getting at least 2000 kcals a day, 800 is borderline metabolic damage.
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Other

I'm working on that; it's slower going. There definitely seems to be growth in terms of eating; just like I can't start of benching 300, I'm not going to start off eating 2950 for the caloric balance I need given my activity - let alone 2000, when I've become accustomed to less than a thousand.

It's coming. Home is a very not-important part of my life; I'm basically here to sleep, because it is illegal-ish to sleep outside. It will help when I get an oven - mainly because I can begin eating fish, and begin cooking my eggs. [Though, I actually really do like them raw. Shame for salmonella.]

That in mind - do you (guys) have suggestions for clean calories on the go? Current ideas are black beans + walnuts.

I am looking into protein supplements, but primarily for the muscular recovery [edit: and calories] than anything. My issue is that it needs to be as non-processed as possible for me to handle it well.
    Last edited by Sambo; 06-03-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Other

Yea, like lazyiebone did you need to eat more. I'm your height and even at 190 lbs I'm a slimmish muscular build. You can stand to gain another 20 or so lbs to 160-170 area and still be compact, agile and quick. At your height and 160 lbs your arms probably won't be much bigger then 15 inches to give you an idea of how "bulky" you'll be...which is saying not very bulky.
    "Stand your ground...remember...you're a monster too"

Weight 200 from 210
    Best gym lifts
    Bench 155 -> 270 -> 315
    Squat 175 -> 345 -> 395
    Deadlift 205 -> 410 -> 485
    Overhead press 135 -> 175 -> 205