MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Question Beginners advice

Hi guys,

I'm 15 years old and i just started lifting weights. My main goal is to cut fat to lower my bf % to about 10-11 %, and after that gaining as much muscle mass as possible. My idea would be to do an upper/lower body split combined with cardio, focusing more on cardio first to cut fat. I've got krav maga training on monday, and i've got PE on thursday, so i'd say those days are complete as for cardio. On the remaining days i was thinking about doing insanity, as jogging and most other cardio options bore me quite fast! Also do you think barbell complexes would be good for cardio or no?

I don't go to the gym yet, since my parents won't pay for it and i can't either, so this means i work out at home using a barbell and dumbbells, and i also have a pull up bar.
    Now, as for a diet, i don't really have one yet, and wouldn't know how to make a good one either. I've read here on the site that diets are pretty important if you want to be gaining muscle mass and also if you want to be cutting fat, but is it actually essential? I'm also a vegetarian, so i can't eat meat, and i also don't yet and in the near future will probably not use supplements like protein shakes, leaving me with little sources for good protein. I think that for losing fat eating healthy and not eating too much combined with cardio will do the trick, or am i wrong?
    As for diet for gaining muscle mass, i'd highly appreciate some advice!

So my week workout and cardio schedule would be:

Monday :
    - Krav maga training (1,5 hour)
    - Upper body workout

Tuesday:
    - Insanity (40 mins)
    - Lower body workout

Wednesday
    - Insanity (40 mins)
    - WL rest

Thursday
    - PE (2 hours)
    - Upper body

Friday
    - None

Saturday
    - Insanity (40 mins)
    - Lower body

Sunday
    - Insanity (40 mins)
    - WL rest

Let me know what you think

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    George

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

you're young, don't obsess about body fat %. failing to eat enough to grow will be a mistake. at your age, your body is primed for gains
    cardio is good for heart health but isn't necessary for fat loss
    choose a proven novice program that fits your goals (Starting Strength, StrongLifts, All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine, Fierce5)
    try to consume about 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight, daily

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi dday,

thx for the quick response to begin with!
    so you're saying i've got enough cardio from krav maga and PE, and i should leave out all other cardio?
    i've never heard of those programs but thx i'll check em out!
    but that still leaves me with the proteins, where should i get them from? meat and shakes aren't an option unfortunately

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by georgehazel22 View Post
    so you're saying i've got enough cardio from krav maga and PE, and i should leave out all other cardio?
    that a personal choice. do you get winded easily? family history of heart/lung issues?

but that still leaves me with the proteins, where should i get them from? meat and shakes aren't an option unfortunately
    it doesn't matter where you get them from, just that you're meeting your daily requirement
    where do you currently get your protein from?

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Other

If you're family is vegetarian then you have a harder road than most if you want to bulk up. What you have going for you is your age as stated earlier. You will be able to pack on size pretty quick if you can get enough protien in your diet.

Without meat you'll have to eat a lot of food to get enough protien which can be extremely difficult since foods like quinoa are calorie dense and very filling for the amount of protien it contains. Avoid soy products like tofu or soy based meat alternatives. Soy contains estrogen like chemicals and if you eat too much can cause havoc on your hormone levels and mess with your health. So keep soy in moderation. Less then 10% of your protien should come from soy I'd say. Lots of recent research is showing soy isn't all that great for us guys in large amounts.

If you have a barbell save up for a bench and some saw horses and do a modified beginners program like stronglifts.

Set your barbell up on saw horses and use them so you can get under the bar. You'll have to start your squat from the bottom position but at least you can squat even without a rack. Use the saw horseshoes as spotters for your bench if you are working out alone which I suspect you are.

I would stick with stronglifts and ride the beginner gains all the way through your teenage years while your body is full of hormones for growth.
    "Stand your ground...remember...you're a monster too"

Weight 200 from 210
    Best gym lifts
    Bench 155 -> 270 -> 315
    Squat 175 -> 345 -> 395
    Deadlift 205 -> 410 -> 485
    Overhead press 135 -> 175 -> 205

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    you're young, don't obsess about body fat %. failing to eat enough to grow will be a mistake. at your age, your body is primed for gains
    cardio is good for heart health but isn't necessary for fat loss
    choose a proven novice program that fits your goals (Starting Strength, StrongLifts, All Pro's Simple Beginner Routine, Fierce5)
    try to consume about 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight, daily

Agree with this 100%
    your in your prime growing years at 15 years old
    You really need to focus on diet first and foremost, and i agree you should not be cutting at a young age. it would be better to train smart (with your limitations) and also dont rely on so much cardio

it is actaully very catabolic and counterproductive
    you should take a FULL DAY OFF FROM THE GYM too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Peanut butter, thats your best bet. Can you do stuff like milk and cheese? And why not protein shakes? Unless its all with parents, I understand that, mom was always worried and followed fads. I drank alot of soymilk when I was around 12 years old and was very fat and weak.

I wont pass judement because I dont know your/their reasons from a humanitarian standpoint. But youre young, dont stress, just work hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    Agree with this 100%
    your in your prime growing years at 15 years old
    You really need to focus on diet first and foremost, and i agree you should not be cutting at a young age. it would be better to train smart (with your limitations) and also dont rely on so much cardio

it is actaully very catabolic and counterproductive
    you should take a FULL DAY OFF FROM THE GYM too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.

Damn, thats alot for a beginner to take in.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Reduce Cardio
    Eat more food
    Lift Smart
    Use more caloric dense choices
    the basis of the links.
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    it doesn't matter where you get them from, just that you're meeting your daily requirement
    where do you currently get your protein from?
    Until now i didn't really watch my protein intake, i just recently started lifting weights and didn't mind my diet till i started reading about how important it is for muscle building. Some searching on google left me with meat mostly being listed mostly number 1 for protein source, besides meat most sites recommended dairy products and i've seen quinoa pass by some times too. So my primary protein income for now i'd say would be eggs, i eat about 6 eggs a week but of course that's nearly not enough for the number you're talking about.

Without meat you'll have to eat a lot of food to get enough protien which can be extremely difficult since foods like quinoa are calorie dense and very filling for the amount of protien it contains. Avoid soy products like tofu or soy based meat alternatives. Soy contains estrogen like chemicals and if you eat too much can cause havoc on your hormone levels and mess with your health. So keep soy in moderation. Less then 10% of your protien should come from soy I'd say. Lots of recent research is showing soy isn't all that great for us guys in large amounts.
    Yeah as a vegetarian i'm used to eating soy products and soy based meat alternatives about each and every night. Maybe i should start recording how much soy i eat daily and how much protein i get from it, so i can reduce it to be less then 10%?

Damn, thats alot for a beginner to take in.
    That's what i thought! But i'll definitely look into this when i've got some time off, probably this weekend.

Peanut butter, thats your best bet. Can you do stuff like milk and cheese? And why not protein shakes? Unless its all with parents, I understand that, mom was always worried and followed fads. I drank alot of soymilk when I was around 12 years old and was very fat and weak.
    Well it just happens to be that i've been eating peanut butter every single day for the past like 8 years! I'm not a vegan, just a vegetarian, so milk and cheese are quite good options. As for the protein shakes, its not so much my parents, it's more of a financial issue. I don't have a job yet and my parents won't pay for them unfortunately. Especially my mom is kinda skeptical about those shakes, but i can't really see the harm they do besides making your muscles grow
    Last edited by georgehazel22; 06-13-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

So i've started to read the pages layziebone mentioned, and i gotta say, it's a very good and understandable guide, thanks! From what i've read the method that's mostly used is to first consume a lot more calories then your daily needs to gain muscle, and after that cut the fat by dieting, that about right? when bulking though, does it matter where you get your calories from? does it only have to be healthy food or can you throw in a little junk food now and then too?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Meet protein, fiber, and fat minimums first and make the majority of your sources from micronutrient rich food.
    Team ScoobyPrep