MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default Crossfit vs. Conventional conditioning

Crossfit is one of those things that has a cult following & you either love it or you hate it. Who here is a cross fit advocate & why?
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strength. When you go through hardship & decide not to surrender, that is strength.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

joke:
    Q: How can you tell a cross****ter works out?

A: .....they tell you about it!

Crossfit is great, if you want to lose gainz and empty your pocket book. Greg Glassman is a fat asshole. If you want to see what the fat ass that created crossfit looks like just google image search: Greg Glassman.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

I was doing crossfit and loved it. I come from an athletic background and was getting a little stale on straight weight lifting. I wanted something that was also going to push me aerobically. I was only doing it 3 times a week and that was enough for me. A lot people hate it and that's fine, you don't have to love it. Different stroked for different folks. A few things I will say if you're looking at getting into it:

1) Yes it's expensive (but the same price as yoga studios)

2) You HAVE to find a good gym. One of the bad raps that crossfit gets it that it's dangerous. Well yeah, most physically active things can be if you're doing it wrong. Since crossfit gyms pop up all over the place you have a wide range of great gyms run by people who really know what they're doing (form, strength, safety wise) and people who don't know more than the training classes they took to be able to open a crossfit affiliate. So do your research, make sure you're in a place that is going to stress form over time. My place was awesome because they would stop you in the middle of a workout and force you to slow down or lower weight to maintain good form.

3) I would not do crossfit exclusively. If you look at most of the people that compete in crossfit games they do a crazy amount of different activities (swimming, running, Olympic weight lifting competitions, biking, etc), they don't just live in a crossfit gym. If you do exclusively crossfit you'll see quick impact in your fitness, but then you'll stagnate because they way the workouts are set up don't set you up for massive gains in strength/size. (this is why the top people only do crossfit a few days and traditional strength training other days)

If you're really thinking about it, check it out. Decide for yourself if you like it or not before committing. And don't let others opinions (for or against) sway your own opinion. Do what you enjoy. That was one thing I had to do because so many people were in my ear bashing it, and I ended up loving it. (It called to my competitive side)
    "Yes you are deceptively strong. Now you look strong but you look women strong, when in reality you are beast-mode strong " - Matty

November 2012 Log of the Month

Instagram: fitmomkali

Max Numbers: Squat - 225, Dead Lift - 245

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

that was a fairly represented and un-biased opinion but i would add:

5. Crossfit instructors get their credentials in one weekend. Greg Glassman charges them 500 dollars a pop, everyone leaves with a badge. Kinda like in kindergarten when we all received ribbons. A guy at our local CF Box blew out his bicep dead-lifting 405 pounds. He is a 50 year old man and does not need to dead lift 405 pounds. CF instructors have no perception of "limit" and have made this very evident because they are pushing 50 year olds to do more than necessary.

6. Un-proven results. Crossfit has only been around for a few years and the verdict is still out. Injury prone or not i am sure rotator cuffs will be a huge insult to the CF community.

7. CF athletes do NOT train with CF. They do olympic lifting, load training, and probably CF once a week (maybe). These guys on the games are STACKED.....but only because they DO NOT train CF. If they trained like local CF Boxes then they would all be 30-50 less pounds. It is a hidden fact....do your research.

8. They promote bull**** copycat diets like "paleo." I cannot subscribe to this. Do not get me wrong, their are aspects of this diet that make sense....but otherwise it is comparable to atkins.

9. Kipping pull-ups
    aka. shoulder rolls
    aka. ***** ass arm circles

Kipping anything really, there is no time or place for this crap. Do man pullups.....because you are a man.

Look, i tried it....and it did NOT work, for any of my goals. Did my cardio go up? Sure! But that is not within my goals.

See beyond the hype and false claims. CF is a joke. If you want to get strong eat food and lift heavy weights. The benefits of weight training far outweigh the benefits of CF.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Default Crossfit vs. Conventional conditioning

Lol a lot of what you mentioned I also said. My big thing is just because it wasn't for you (since cardio isn't your goal) doesn't mean it shouldn't be done by anyone. And your example of the older lifter is exactly why I said research your crossfit location and make sure the people there are truly certified to do what they do.

And my gym didn't push paleo at all. If you asked about it they would talk about it... Again, the importance of picking the right box. Cuz there really are some bad boxes out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GaPeach; 07-02-2014 at 01:00 PM.
    "Yes you are deceptively strong. Now you look strong but you look women strong, when in reality you are beast-mode strong " - Matty

November 2012 Log of the Month

Instagram: fitmomkali

Max Numbers: Squat - 225, Dead Lift - 245

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3FUHQJOYk

Here is another "gem" from the CF community. This blows my mind. Kipping Dips! You have to be kidding me.

Seriously though, it was not for me and it is not for the majority. Jerking, swinging, kipping, and pulling ferociously for max reps is borderline unhealthy. Look, i realize lifting heavy weights continually could be considered unhealthy but the disadvantages of doing 100 thrusters compared to 30 heavy squats is large.

I consider CF another "fitness fad." It will not completely die but it will always receive scrutiny for its lack of regard for sense.

The only thing CF is good for is the yoga pants worn by the women who attend.
    Please do not take my opinions as a direct insult to you Peach.
    Last edited by difranchise; 07-02-2014 at 05:06 PM.

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Crossfit is the dumbest thing ever invented! Continuing to grow by there large community of idiots that have no idea what their doing!
    So you say you dont listin to the "big guy at the gym anymore" Instead you read articles and studys and go of what some science study on the internet says. Hows that working for ya? Big guy still big you still small...
    Bench 345 - 10reps
    DL 405 - 8reps
    Front squat 315 - 8reps
    5'8" 233lbs - LIFETIME NATURAL -

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by difranchise View Post
    that was a fairly represented and un-biased opinion but i would add:

5. Crossfit instructors get their credentials in one weekend. Greg Glassman charges them 500 dollars a pop, everyone leaves with a badge. Kinda like in kindergarten when we all received ribbons. A guy at our local CF Box blew out his bicep dead-lifting 405 pounds. He is a 50 year old man and does not need to dead lift 405 pounds. CF instructors have no perception of "limit" and have made this very evident because they are pushing 50 year olds to do more than necessary.

Look, i tried it....and it did NOT work, for any of my goals. Did my cardio go up? Sure! But that is not within my goals.
    Normally I just ignore these types of threads, but I have to take exception to your 50 year old remarks. I am 50 years old and pulled 485lbs at my last meet. My next meet I am targeting 500+. Not sure that you should really worry about how much others are lifting unless you are personally training them.

Secondly, simply because something did not work for you does not mean it won't or can't work for someone else. There are as many solutions to the equation as there are lifters. One size does not fit all.

And now I return you to your regularly scheduled program
    Meet PR's
    Squat 207.5 (457.5) 06/2015
    Bench 150 (330.7) 06/2015
    Dead 232.5 (512.6) 06/2015
    Total 590 (1300.8) 06/2015

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

KD, you clearly have been lifting for years. I hope to pull 485 when im 50, ****! I hope to pull it when i am 30!
    My point is that the crowd CF pulls in has little to no lifting experience prior to joining. THEN, they are quickly moved up the ladder to handle weight they are not capable of dealing with. Pulls, tears, injuries will ensure; especially when instructor credentials were earned in ONE weekend. Not one of the instructors at our local CF Box have exercise/human health/personal training degrees. They are just people...who do not fully understand the mechanics of the human body.
    I guess i just want to see this bs fitness fad fail......if you are asking why i care so much???? I guess CF just pushed me over the edge. They are filling our heads with bs

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

CrossFit is only becoming big here in Ireland, past couple of years. I personally love it, an interesting way to train but it doesn't compare to the conventional style of training!

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by artweek View Post
    CrossFit is only becoming big here in Ireland, past couple of years. I personally love it, an interesting way to train but it doesn't compare to the conventional style of training!
    You love it... Do your parents know your gay?? Lol JK
    So you say you dont listin to the "big guy at the gym anymore" Instead you read articles and studys and go of what some science study on the internet says. Hows that working for ya? Big guy still big you still small...
    Bench 345 - 10reps
    DL 405 - 8reps
    Front squat 315 - 8reps
    5'8" 233lbs - LIFETIME NATURAL -

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by artweek View Post
    ....poor ireland. I was hoping other countries werent being subjected to this ****.

So you have zero gains?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

I'm just going to say for the record that its at the bare minimum entertaining to watch the Games, regionals, & the Open. I have never taken a cross fit class, but have done strongman workouts with people that are cross fitters. They ain't too shabby!
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strength. When you go through hardship & decide not to surrender, that is strength.
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

My opinion is that strong does not necessarily mean fit. There are plenty of super strong guys that can DL 6, 7, 800 pounds or whatever, who are probably overall not very healthy and quite overweight. Anyone on these forums probably places a very high value on strength as part of their fitness goals, but not everyone feels that strength should have supreme priority over everything else including overall fitness, coordination, flexibility, athleticism, power, etc. As for me personally, I am, and always have been, slender and fit, so my focus right now is 100% on gaining strength. But I can comfortably run 3-5 miles with no problem, and will likely work on improving overall fitness, such as what cross fit offers, after achieving certain strength goals. I also plan on learning and incorporating olympic lifts at some point in time. I just realized that I do not have the flexibility and coordination needed to even do empty bar overhead squats. I do not want to be strong, fat, and out of shape. So I can see cross fit being appealing at some point, even if for a short duration. Are some things about cross fit pretty cheesy? Maybe so. But I can see that it offers a superb level of overall fitness in some ways.
    7/6/2015
    Squat 395
    Bench 265
    Deadlift 465
    Total 1125 @ 193.

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right."
    - Henry Ford

Whole lot of idiocy on this thread......but my favorite is the part about games competitors not doin crossfit. Froning does 2-3 WODs a day plus olympic lifts and most games athletes do the same. ...love hearing people that know zero about it giving out "facts"
    For God's sake do some research instead of just spouting off nonsense about a sport that obviously intimidates people in the weight lifting community
    Last edited by Merica; 08-18-2014 at 12:43 AM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    My opinion is that strong does not necessarily mean fit. There are plenty of super strong guys that can DL 6, 7, 800 pounds or whatever, who are probably overall not very healthy and quite overweight. Anyone on these forums probably places a very high value on strength as part of their fitness goals, but not everyone feels that strength should have supreme priority over everything else including overall fitness, coordination, flexibility, athleticism, power, etc. As for me personally, I am, and always have been, slender and fit, so my focus right now is 100% on gaining strength. But I can comfortably run 3-5 miles with no problem, and will likely work on improving overall fitness, such as what cross fit offers, after achieving certain strength goals. I also plan on learning and incorporating olympic lifts at some point in time. I just realized that I do not have the flexibility and coordination needed to even do empty bar overhead squats. I do not want to be strong, fat, and out of shape. So I can see cross fit being appealing at some point, even if for a short duration. Are some things about cross fit pretty cheesy? Maybe so. But I can see that it offers a superb level of overall fitness in some ways.
    Do not drink the juice bro....see prior posts.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Merica View Post
    Whole lot of idiocy on this thread......but my favorite is the part about games competitors not doin crossfit. Froning does 2-3 WODs a day plus olympic lifts and most games athletes do the same. ...love hearing people that know zero about it giving out "facts"
    For God's sake do some research instead of just spouting off nonsense about a sport that obviously intimidates people in the weight lifting community
    Ma'am, please go back to the appropriate CF thread. Shouldn't you be doing your 8am WOD or something. I am sure your local box is missing their greatest tool bag. Make sure and chalk thoroughly prior to doing your ***** ass arm circles.

Now that is out of the way. Those are facts. Every cross****ter i have ever argued with enjoys the "froning" defense.
    IE. "froning can out deadlift you" "froning is functionally fit" "froning is my god," etc.....
    Froning gets paid to JUST workout....so yeah he has a few advantages over me. If you consider a bench ladder a WOD then sure....he does CF. I am the opposite of intimidated....i am a realist with a brain. Your CF creators are a fat washed up asshole and his skinny butt buddy dave castro. I DID CF, it does not work.

Active recovery is a joke
    Paleo is a joke
    WOD's are a joke
    Kipping is a joke

Your whole lifestyle is for comic relief. On the other hand, if i wanted to join a cult where i lose all my gains......CF is always there!

Ma'am, please go back to the appropriate CF thread. Shouldn't you be doing your 8am WOD or something. I am sure your local box is missing their greatest tool bag. Make sure and chalk thoroughly prior to doing your ***** ass arm circles.

Now that is out of the way. Those are facts. Every cross****ter i have ever argued with enjoys the "froning" defense.
    IE. "froning can out deadlift you" "froning is functionally fit" "froning is my god," etc.....
    Froning gets paid to JUST workout....so yeah he has a few advantages over me. If you consider a bench ladder a WOD then sure....he does CF. I am the opposite of intimidated....i am a realist with a brain. Your CF creators are a fat washed up asshole and his skinny butt buddy dave castro. I DID CF, it does not work.

Active recovery is a joke
    Paleo is a joke
    WOD's are a joke
    Kipping is a joke

Your whole lifestyle is for comic relief. On the other hand, if i wanted to join a cult where i lose all my gains......CF is always there!
    Lol is that your best defense? Camille Leblanc would destroy every person in your gym but its not because shes has a sponsor now its because she works for performance not so she can spend 2 hrs a day flexing her ass cheeks in the mirror taking selfies like body builders that get outta breath walking to the squat rack.
    Most crossfit athletes used to be gym rats but they switched bc they wanted to improve their bodies. ....do you really think they would keep doin it if their performance dropped? Gym rats are 100% show and no go.....and now they stay in a constant state of butthurt while they watch actual athletes walk into their gyms and blow their doors off physically.......Until Ronnie Coleman can step out on a field and not get blowed out by a 170 woman or they actually start showing body builders "performing" on a stage flexing their tits on ESPN your arguments are laughable. Fitness is evolving and peope are getting stronger and faster than ever....either step up or go stand in mirror and compare each others ass cheeks.
    I dont crossfit much bc it eats up to many calories that I need to bulk up to weight I want but to not respect what they do just shows your intimidated by a better athlete.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

1) Nobody is saying a Mr Olympia competitor could compete at crossfit.

Right, that's your entire post dealt with, a few comments:

-High injury rates in crossfit are a fact, higher than strongman, bodybuilding, olympic weightlifting, or dicking around in the gym combined.
    -Crossfit athletes are not drug tested at any significant level.
    -Crossfit athletes mostly don't train the way crossfit wants you to. Random training leads to random results, specific training leads to specific results, Froning knows how to train, you won't turn into him by going to 3 crossfit sessions a week (or 27 or whatever they advocate). Of course he has to practice doing handstand pushups, and kipping pullups as they're events in the games he competes. This doesn't mean he does crossfit training.
    -Competitors at the crossfit games are impressive, however they wouldn't beat a strength athlete at a strength event or an endurance athlete at an endurance event, or a bodybuilder at a bodybuilding event. This is fairly obvious to all.
    Last edited by Nezzy; 08-18-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Training Log

Dear middle school PE teacher,

Camille Leblanc would destroy every person in your gym but its not because shes has a sponsor now its because she works for performance not so she can spend 2 hrs a day flexing her ass cheeks in the mirror taking selfies like body builders that get outta breath walking to the squat rack.
    Leblanc.....yeah, i would hit that.

Most crossfit athletes used to be gym rats but they switched bc they wanted to improve their bodies. ....do you really think they would keep doin it if their performance dropped? Gym rats are 100% show and no go.....and now they stay in a constant state of butthurt while they watch actual athletes walk into their gyms and blow their doors off physically.......
    Most gym rats gone cross**** (aka sheep) spend most of their time losing all their gains via kipping dips and kipping pull ups. Even when i accidentally did crossfit, i didn't follow their bull**** rules on pullups. Show me one guy who is great at doing kipping pullups and ill lift his skirt and expose his vagina.

Until Ronnie Coleman can step out on a field and not get blowed out by a 170 woman or they actually start showing body builders "performing" on a stage flexing their tits on ESPN
    Cross****ters are rarely seen in my gym....we don't have bumper plates that look really heavy. Also, i do not claim Ronnie C., but i am sure he would love to be "blowed" by a 170 lb woman.

your arguments are laughable
    Your grammar is awful.

Fitness is evolving and peope are getting stronger and faster than ever....either step up or go stand in mirror and compare each others ass cheeks.
    Right, and those people are called Olympic athletes, not crossfitters. Your perception of gym rats is wildly inaccurate.
    The crossfit games (aka washed up loser olympics) is entertaining in the sense that i have never seen so many gains lost in one arena before.

Dear middle school PE teacher,

Leblanc.....yeah, i would hit that.

Most gym rats gone cross**** (aka sheep) spend most of their time losing all their gains via kipping dips and kipping pull ups. Even when i accidentally did crossfit, i didn't follow their bull**** rules on pullups. Show me one guy who is great at doing kipping pullups and ill lift his skirt and expose his vagina.

Cross****ters are rarely seen in my gym....we don't have bumper plates that look really heavy. Also, i do not claim Ronnie C., but i am sure he would love to be "blowed" by a 170 lb woman.

Your grammar is awful.

Right, and those people are called Olympic athletes, not crossfitters. Your perception of gym rats is wildly inaccurate.
    The crossfit games (aka washed up loser olympics) is entertaining in the sense that i have never seen so many gains lost in one arena before.
    The games are an open event every year.......when you get tired of jerking off to your own abs in the mirror feel free to back up any of the **** talking you're doing. Or perhaps you could just sit on your elleptical at Planet Fitness and whine about the people who are doing something in the squat rack besides practicing flexing their butt hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    1) Nobody is saying a Mr Olympia competitor could compete at crossfit.

Right, that's your entire post dealt with, a few comments:

-High injury rates in crossfit are a fact, higher than strongman, bodybuilding, olympic weightlifting, or dicking around in the gym combined.
    -Crossfit athletes are not drug tested at any significant level.
    -Crossfit athletes mostly don't train the way crossfit wants you to. Random training leads to random results, specific training leads to specific results, Froning knows how to train, you won't turn into him by going to 3 crossfit sessions a week (or 27 or whatever they advocate). Of course he has to practice doing handstand pushups, and kipping pullups as they're events in the games he competes. This doesn't mean he does crossfit training.
    -Competitors at the crossfit games are impressive, however they wouldn't beat a strength athlete at a strength event or an endurance athlete at an endurance event, or a bodybuilder at a bodybuilding event. This is fairly obvious to all.
    Show me actual facts about percentages of injuries instead of making up your own.....but yes I concede there are many dangerous associated with it if not done properly
    Body building and every other "sport"having to do with lifting weights were badically founded on heavy steriod use....nobody said its perfect.
    Froning runs a box and posts his videos of the WOD daily so I figure he probably does actually do Crossfit.

Yes a specialist would excel in their one area of expertise and they would get killed on the rest......like I said not respecting what crossfitters can do idiotic.
    Last edited by Merica; 08-18-2014 at 01:06 PM.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Body building and every other "sport"having to do with lifting weights were badically founded on heavy steriod use....nobody said its perfect.
    I'm a little confused "Merica," could you please tell me which steroids the Greeks were using? Have you ever seen a picture of Eugen Sandow, from the 1890's? That man is still billed as the father of modern bodybuilding, and that was before testosterone injections even existed. Were there any type of physical specimens in the world before the 1930's brought that in? I appreciate the that brilliance being shown so quickly on the forum so I don't waste any time reading your replies. Good luck with your goals.
    Last edited by robsorangegym; 08-18-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: poor grammar from typing reply to passionately!
    "Success is not finalů..failure is not fatalů..its the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill
    Dead Lift: 415
    Squat: 325
    Bench: 305
    Bodyweight: to be checked soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by robsorangegym View Post
    I'm a little confused "Merica," could you please tell me which steroids the Greeks were using? Have you ever seen a picture of Eugen Sandow, from the 1890's? That man is still billed as the father of modern bodybuilding, and that was before testosterone injections even existed. Were there any type of physical specimens in the world before the 1930's brought that in? I appreciate the that brilliance being shown so quickly on the forum so I don't waste any time reading your replies. Good luck with your goals.
    You do realize that the Greeks didnt have barbells right? Their workouts would have much more closely resembled a crossfit WOD than a body building routine.
    Your defense is that there's a picture of one guy who lifted weights before steroids? Awesome.

The funny part is the people that actually do crossfit are positive and wanna see themselves and others around them succeed. .....they pay no attention to body builders but yall absolutely detest them because they have changed expectations on what real fitness looks and performs like.

You really should not make comments about brilliance when you possess none.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Show me actual facts about percentages of injuries instead of making up your own.....but yes I concede there are many dangerous associated with it if not done properly
    No, I don't want to get sued:

http://fittish.deadspin.com/crossfit...rat-1603182256

Absolutely, bodybuilding, strongman and powerlifting are all split into drug tested and non drug tested leagues. There are natural and unnatural records. Crossfit is different, hence why I mentioned it.

Froning runs a box and posts his videos of the WOD daily so I figure he probably does actually do Crossfit.

Yes a specialist would excel in their one area of expertise and they would get killed on the rest......like I said not respecting what crossfitters can do idiotic.
    This last sentence makes no sense at all, if anything, it directly goes against your own arguments about Ronnie Coleman.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement