MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default M.e. In the house! (/gym!) : )

It's FINALLY that time, and I could not be more excited. I joined a gym, for the first time in my life,which is brand new and opened it's doors yesterday, so tomorrow the fun begins!!!! Joel has signed up with me, and I am thrilled that I will have his company tomorrow on my first visit. I've always said that you don't need a gym, or a huge set of weights, to get that "gym look", and I still feel that way, (strongly), but with that said, I am excited to see where this can take me. It's time to put a line through that "HOUSE" in the title of this thread, and put the GYM in there.

I had planned on taking starting photos, the last of my pre-gym look, but didn't have time this a.m., so i snuck in the office bathroom just now and took one quick, to get this party started! (P.S. I wore a sweater to work too)
    M.E. TODAY ~ The beginning of a new and exciting journey.

The trick for me will be getting my ass there, because it's not exactly "next door", but I AM DETERMINED. I am finally (FINALLY) at that place in life where are no more road blocks, and I could not be happier. I'm hoping on 4 days a week, full body routine. As far as logging goes, I still don't see myself being conventional, but I will try my best.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce." ~ Shakespeare ~

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Yay!!!!!
    4 day a week full body! that's brutal!! and you need to log every workout!! how can we stalk you if you don't???
    Congrats ME and I'm along for the ride!!!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Woot woot!

As long as we get regular pic updates, we'll be ok with slip shod logging
    Meet PR's
    Squat 207.5 (457.5) 06/2015
    Bench 150 (330.7) 06/2015
    Dead 232.5 (512.6) 06/2015
    Total 590 (1300.8) 06/2015

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

hahahah! Thanks Shan! As far as the logging stuff goes,i won't even know the names of the equipment i'm using, so that's why I'm thinking it's going to take me some time to get the logging stuff down, instead of just calling everything "lifting". The gym is open 24 hrs./day, monday through friday, so i was thinking I could actually spend the night at Joel's (here and there), which literally is "right next door" just about, and get up and go nice early. We will see.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by KD5NFW View Post
    Woot woot!

As long as we get regular pic updates, we'll be ok with slip shod logging

hahahha! totally made me giggle at work! I am still all about pics as being the best way to see gains. You will all have to help me learn the lingo as far as the logging stuff. I'll take pics of the equipment i'm using. The gym is sweet.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

I'm super excited for you. I think you're going to end up loving it, once you adjust and get more comfortable with working out in a public gym...
    and you know I love early morning workouts...
    (you look great btw!)

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Frither81 View Post
    I'm super excited for you. I think you're going to end up loving it, once you adjust and get more comfortable with working out in a public gym...
    and you know I love early morning workouts...
    (you look great btw!)
    Thank you! I hooked up my Ipod yesterday, which i barely use, and filled it with a bunch of wicked music, which i think will help too. I was listening to it yesterday while painting my nails, and i kept thinking, holy sh_t, this is going to be GREAT! (then my son told me "ma, you don't have to talk so loud, we can hear you if you talk normal"...because i had the headphones on.) lol.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

YOU KNOW I AM IN!!!!! YES YES YES!!!

When you coming to Erie
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I actually might be driving through there next month. Muscle Car Nationals, Chevy Performance LSX Challenge (hugest event ever) is in Norwalk, OH next month and Joel wants to go. (of course i've been telling him / begging him for over a year, that i need a vacation, and as soon as it has more to do about him, he's all ready for it).
    Anyway, after work today i am totally going out to buy some new gym clothes and sneaks.....and yoga pants! (That was my attempt at bringing Joe out of lurk mode. I know you're smiling Joe!)
    By the way, as far as my diet right now, i am totally doing a very low carb diet. It's summer, and i need to tight'n things up, but in another month and a half, i'll work on the gains.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well if you stop through let me know!!!!
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    It's FINALLY that time, and I could not be more excited. I joined a gym, for the first time in my life,which is brand new and opened it's doors yesterday, so tomorrow the fun begins!!!! Joel has signed up with me, and I am thrilled that I will have his company tomorrow on my first visit. I've always said that you don't need a gym, or a huge set of weights, to get that "gym look", and I still feel that way, (strongly), but with that said, I am excited to see where this can take me. It's time to put a line through that "HOUSE" in the title of this thread, and put the GYM in there.

I had planned on taking starting photos, the last of my pre-gym look, but didn't have time this a.m., so i snuck in the office bathroom just now and took one quick, to get this party started! (P.S. I wore a sweater to work too)
    M.E. TODAY ~ The beginning of a new and exciting journey.

The trick for me will be getting my ass there, because it's not exactly "next door", but I AM DETERMINED. I am finally (FINALLY) at that place in life where are no more road blocks, and I could not be happier. I'm hoping on 4 days a week, full body routine. As far as logging goes, I still don't see myself being conventional, but I will try my best.
    I am a recent convert to gym life too - Never thought I would want it - but the at home stuff had limits and opportunity came a knocking I was bailed up at the shopping centre and entered into a comp for free membership they called and said I was runner up I had won a weeks free - Yeah Right - Oldest trick in the book huh? went it there sure I was going to tell them thanks but No - they waived the joining fee and here I am months later all the better for it
    it opens up huge social circles you get to meet and be around the people you want to be around - I LOVE IT
    I always said I would never walk into a gym unless I had the body that deserved to walk into one - I built myself up enough to do it
    now I am never looking back that place is my second home
    ...It's a Long Road there's no turning back

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Ya, I guess for me, it was always more that I didn't have the option, not any real or logistical option that would've worked for me...until now, but I wasn't going to let that mean I couldn't be fit. I did what I could with what I could, at home, or even at the office. I have to say though, that trying out the new gym, and getting right into taking advantage of my brand new membership both Saturday and today, I really, really liked it. I joined a World Gym, brand new, and I amazed not only at the size (it's freaking huge), but at the number of different type machines that focus on literally every muscle part there is to work on. I mean even to the point of redundancy, because they will have a number of machines working the same exact area, but made by different companies, so you can pick and choose which you like best. There are still areas not ready yet. The spin area isn't ready, and they just put down a basketball court, not ready to be used, and another section that i'm hoping will be for deadlifting. They have a HUGE area of a gazillion treadmills, cycling, etc. I get enough cardio in my life though that when i'm in the gym, it'll be for the weights.
    So that's my initial review, after my first couple days under my very first gym membership. LOVE IT. I'll go again Tuesday.

Hard Hitting Cardio Bunny PowerPixie's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

OMG! I am so super excited and happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no Try. Do. Or Do Not.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

What program/split are you going to be utilizing ME?
    A basic upper / lower split?
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPixie View Post
    OMG! I am so super excited and happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Pixie! I am excited too. It's almost like one of those things i have to pinch myself for right now....you know, it's no longer just talk on my part, saying i planned to join a gym, and I really am loving it so far. The first day there, saturday, there was maybe 20 people there, tops, which was perfect, it's a humungous gym, and i was super comfortable. Having Joel there helped for sure. Yesterday, sunday, was little busier because i think people have caught on now that the doors are finally open, and i did feel some "looks", which didn't bother me as much as i thought it would. I just "whatever"'ed in my head. I am committed to 4 days a week, at least, and the tuesdays and thursdays that i plan on doing (..remember, the gym is not in my hood, it's right near Joel's place, and those are days i normally drive the 30 mins. to his place anyway...the days he said i could go right after work because he usually works later than me), well, now he says, as long as he doesn't work too late, we will go together on those days too, which is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    What program/split are you going to be utilizing ME?
    A basic upper / lower split?
    I haven't set myself down to anything yet Bob, I'm experimenting with the machines, trying to do full body. Joel doesn't like that idea, saying i need to give muscle groups rest time, but i've always done the full body type deal, at home. We'll see. He says "watch how quick i blow up, and you're progress will be slower", so we'll see. I sort of like the idea of him being "trainer-like" for me...he does know what he's talking about. Couple pics of him (..by the way, he is a true ectomorph...tall, thin, very difficult to gain weight, so to get big is WORK), when he was more into it than the fishing. He is thrilled as I am to be back into it whole heartedly, so this is going to be fun for us.

And now, finally, to give me a more of a "Start" to finish comparison to work with, here's a pic i took this morning of myself. So now it's onward and upward, or outward lol.

As far as diet, like i said earlier, i am doing very low carb for the time being, which i started seriously only a couple weeks ago. I'm very soft looking right now which i'm hoping combining the low carb with the gym, will help me pull things in a little bit, and make things pop.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I would say if you want to do fullbody then a 3x a week program would be awesome
    When training with the machines take note on what FEELS best for you, try different postures, practice good form, and complete the full range of motion and stimulate the muscle to the greatest degree

Take notes on what works best for you
    Full Body 3x a week or upperbody/lowerbody 4x a week (2 each) would be great for a starter.
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

geez.. you guys are a hot looking couple!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I would say if you want to do fullbody then a 3x a week program would be awesome
    When training with the machines take note on what FEELS best for you, try different postures, practice good form, and complete the full range of motion and stimulate the muscle to the greatest degree

Take notes on what works best for you
    Full Body 3x a week or upperbody/lowerbody 4x a week (2 each) would be great for a starter.
    Ya, as far as the machines...like this curling machine they have.....I don't love it, i'd assume use a barbell. With the machines, even though, obviously, they are made to be adjusted, I'm 5'1" and little. I do a lot of adjusting there, and even so, on some, it just never feels right, which i guess makes it good that they have a variety of choices, making some company's equipment better than others. I haven't ventured into the "girls only" area yet...maybe things are more size appropriate in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frither81 View Post
    geez.. you guys are a hot looking couple!
    lol thanks Shan. He's not nearly as big these days, but all it takes is a couple months and he's right back big and huge again, and i'm way softer than i want to be, but lots going on this year up until now, not that it's an excuse, but i'm going with it.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by maryellen View Post
    Ya, as far as the machines...like this curling machine they have.....I don't love it, i'd assume use a barbell. With the machines, even though, obviously, they are made to be adjusted, I'm 5'1" and little. I do a lot of adjusting there, and even so, on some, it just never feels right, which i guess makes it good that they have a variety of choices, making some company's equipment better than others. I haven't ventured into the "girls only" area yet...maybe things are more size appropriate in there.
    I totally hear you on the machine size thing (since you've got about 1.5" height on me!). You got to try each machine out and make the adjustments just to see if it hits the muscles properly. I find some things I fit into, but it's still not right and winds up making all my muscles knot up.
    That's why I prefer using the DBs and BBs. My only issue lately has been with the new benches. They're too tall and wide for someone my size so I have to put yoga blocks down for my feet! And I bought grips as well as gloves to slow down the callouses you get from using DBs and BBs.

I've seen women only gyms (from the window as I walk by to go to another store) and maybe they have better proportioned machines, but some friends I've spoken to say that they lack the heavier weights, so if you're super strong, you might get frustrated. Of course, the only way to truly know is to go check it out in person. It's an adventure!

Hurray for adventures!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log

PS
    Your Before photos look super hot! Your After photos are going to just about "kill" all the men here.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPixie View Post
    I totally hear you on the machine size thing (since you've got about 1.5" height on me!). You got to try each machine out and make the adjustments just to see if it hits the muscles properly. I find some things I fit into, but it's still not right and winds up making all my muscles knot up.
    That's why I prefer using the DBs and BBs. My only issue lately has been with the new benches. They're too tall and wide for someone my size so I have to put yoga blocks down for my feet! And I bought grips as well as gloves to slow down the callouses you get from using DBs and BBs.

I've seen women only gyms (from the window as I walk by to go to another store) and maybe they have better proportioned machines, but some friends I've spoken to say that they lack the heavier weights, so if you're super strong, you might get frustrated. Of course, the only way to truly know is to go check it out in person. It's an adventure!

Hurray for adventures!

OMG you are short Pixie! I'm teas'n! Well, wow, you are, but that's cute! But I'm glad you know exactly what i mean about not quite fitting the equipment.

I went yesterday again....(by the way, I AM LOVING IT), and we worked chest. I have a feeling Joel is going to be with me more times than not, and like i mentioned earlier, he's sort of playing the trainer role, and he said "we're doing chest today", lol, so that's what we did. Utilized about 6 different apparatus, for a total of about an hour.

We've stocked his fridge with protein shakes for right after a workout. I'm still trying to get used to the calories in those things, but I found these snack size ones that have 18 g. protein and only 100 cals., so i'm cool with that. (But his higher calorie ones do taste better.)

I think it's funny too because all this week i've had to remind myself that i don't need to do the office workout routine anymore. I find me some spare time and think ok, i'll do some dips, and then remember, wait, chic, you go to the gym now. I really, really like it.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Late but I'm all up in here!!
    Glad you are liking the gym and always great when you have someone to train with.
    And looking Hott M.E.
    NO EXCUSES JUST RESULTS!!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Do you buy the RTD Shakes or do you have your own whey protein?
    it would be far cheaper to just buy some whey protein and use it when you cannot get a whole food meal (maybe eat something when you get home) instead of buying those RTD's which can be expensive.

You do not need to slam a protein shake right after a workout (may be a common myth out there) as protein synthesis is elevated for 24+ hours post-workout, and if you are eating pre-workout it will still be digesting into the post-workout period. if you eat 30-45 mintues even after you get home (Say some eggs + Bagel or toast with peanut butter or Sugar Free Jam) maybe some oatmeal with whey protein thrown into the bowl after cooking, or even an english muffins with jam/peanut butter and a whey shake on the side, anything works.

Remember your total calories over that 24 hour period is crucial. The amount of meal timing is negligible as long as your eating to support your workout (pre/post workout nutrition) and meeting fiber/fat/protein minimums

Those amounts (pre/post-workout) will vary, see what suits you for an early morning workout. Some people like to train fasted with a BCAA Product, and some like a small shake or small yogurt + Fruit or something to fuel their workout, and then eat a bit more post-workout, some prefer a smaller post-workout meal and like to eat more later in the day

Take notes, see what suits your body (just like training) and adjust as needed!
    Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by castille View Post
    Late but I'm all up in here!!
    Glad you are liking the gym and always great when you have someone to train with.
    And looking Hott M.E.
    hahahahah, thanks Mark!

Do you buy the RTD Shakes or do you have your own whey protein?
    it would be far cheaper to just buy some whey protein and use it when you cannot get a whole food meal (maybe eat something when you get home) instead of buying those RTD's which can be expensive.

You do not need to slam a protein shake right after a workout (may be a common myth out there) as protein synthesis is elevated for 24+ hours post-workout, and if you are eating pre-workout it will still be digesting into the post-workout period. if you eat 30-45 mintues even after you get home (Say some eggs + Bagel or toast with peanut butter or Sugar Free Jam) maybe some oatmeal with whey protein thrown into the bowl after cooking, or even an english muffins with jam/peanut butter and a whey shake on the side, anything works.

Remember your total calories over that 24 hour period is crucial. The amount of meal timing is negligible as long as your eating to support your workout (pre/post workout nutrition) and meeting fiber/fat/protein minimums

Those amounts (pre/post-workout) will vary, see what suits you for an early morning workout. Some people like to train fasted with a BCAA Product, and some like a small shake or small yogurt + Fruit or something to fuel their workout, and then eat a bit more post-workout, some prefer a smaller post-workout meal and like to eat more later in the day

Take notes, see what suits your body (just like training) and adjust as needed!
    I'm not good as far as eating...period, especially with doing this extremely low carb thing right now. yesterday during the day my food intake was a small styrofoam cup of vegetable juice, pumpkin seeds, 1 1/2 oz. of almonds, gum, the protein shake i had after the workout, and then last night after getting home i had to remind myself to eat something, which ended up being hot pickles and sliced summer sausage. (I shop for my boys and forget to stock low carb stuff, so that was my only option). Joel's rule of thumb is "eat light before a work out (so you don't get nauseous while working out), and then eat good after, and that being high protein". The protein shakes are insanely expensive, but we happened across a place that had them cheap (they sell for $4 in the gym, we found them for $1/carton at a store, and not out of date lol), so we stocked up. It's the convenience factor right now, but no doubt, i will jump on jugs of whey protein when a deal strikes me.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There are countless deals and at 4$ a pop you can get 5lbs of whey protein for around 35$ which is nearly 60-70 servings,
    so instead of paying 4$ aerving you are paying nearly 75 cents a serving to add milk/water into a small shaker cup or blend up a shake and you would be saving nearly hundreds of dollars close to that a month!!!
    Team ScoobyPrep