MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default A bit of advice for beginners

When I started training at the gym I found I got most of my new exercises from copying other people and also often copied other people's technique.

Although it's good to learn new exercises make sure you get someone with good experience who's opinion you can trust to help you get the technique, as many people in the gym do not complete the exercises 100% correctly and it makes all the difference!

When learning a new one I like to start with a light weight or just a bar depending on the exercise and get the technique sorted, then add the weights.

Another point that comes up a lot but is so important, It's not how much time you send in the gym to get the results, it's what you do while your there. A 45 minute work out is generally more than enough time for a muscle building routine.

I made the mistakes of not using the correct techniques and over training when I first started at the gym... Don’t make the same mistakes.... it makes things much easier and results will come faster!

Hope this helps a few people starting out at the gym!

[Good job I used spell checker on this, at least 15 spelling mistakes lol!!]
    Shaun

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Unfortunately more people learn their technique by watching others. This is the worst thing you can do really for a number of reasons. The main one being that most guys use crap technique. I reckon i could only name a handful of guys in my gym that I see use good technique.

Before you even step into a gym you should start reading (like then info on this site and forum). I wasted the first 8 months of training with pretty much 0 gains because I didnt know what I was doing. It wasnt until I hired a personal trainer who pointed me in the right direction that things really started happening.

As far as the overtraining is concerned, everyone does that at the start! Weight lifting is not like running, the more you lift the stonger you get. It doesnt work like that.

Shaun, that's some good advice. Once you get your workout and diet on track you'll start to see some serious results
    Muscle & Strength Store
    - 10k products from over 300 brands
    - 500+ unbeatable deals
    - Same-day shipping
    - Free samples
    - Shipping worldwide

Follow M&S:
    Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Follow Me:
    Instagram | Twitter

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeh i wasted so long training like that, you just see some huge guy and assume they must be using the correct technique........ Mistake!!

I wish i found this site when i started training.... or found any site lol, loads of great tips on here and excercises you can learn, i can't wait to start my new routine on monday!!!

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    When I started training at the gym I found I got most of my new exercises from copying other people and also often copied other people's technique.

Although it's good to learn new exercises make sure you get someone with good experience who's opinion you can trust to help you get the technique, as many people in the gym do not complete the exercises 100% correctly and it makes all the difference!

When learning a new one I like to start with a light weight or just a bar depending on the exercise and get the technique sorted, then add the weights.

Another point that comes up a lot but is so important, It's not how much time you send in the gym to get the results, it's what you do while your there. A 45 minute work out is generally more than enough time for a muscle building routine.

I made the mistakes of not using the correct techniques and over training when I first started at the gym... Don’t make the same mistakes.... it makes things much easier and results will come faster!

Hope this helps a few people starting out at the gym!

[Good job I used spell checker on this, at least 15 spelling mistakes lol!!]
    Shaun
    Shaun

Some nice tips there! I'll add some of them to next month's mag.

Rep+

Mark
    A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

I threw a rep out for that one as well.
    Good job Shaun!
    ~Troy
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator