MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default new member needs advice!

Hi everyone. Just joined as this looks a great site to get inspiration and share ideas. Would like some advice as I am getting back into training after a LONG absence. I am 43 and am home training with a set of 30kg variable dumbells to start off with. I did a full body workout 2 days ago and am following a 3 day on regime. The trouble is my arms are still sore and I can't extend them fully. I've seen a great home dumbell workout I want to try. Should I carry on today and try to work through the soreness or wait until Monday. Obviously at my age I don't want to overdo it so any tips on good warm up and starting weight would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by mick72 View Post
    Hi everyone. Just joined as this looks a great site to get inspiration and share ideas. Would like some advice as I am getting back into training after a LONG absence. I am 43 and am home training with a set of 30kg variable dumbells to start off with. I did a full body workout 2 days ago and am following a 3 day on regime. The trouble is my arms are still sore and I can't extend them fully. I've seen a great home dumbell workout I want to try. Should I carry on today and try to work through the soreness or wait until Monday. Obviously at my age I don't want to overdo it so any tips on good warm up and starting weight would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    It should only take your body a little while to adjust, I'd personally skip the session and wait until Monday, then at your next session decrease the load just a little and see how you fair after that session.

If you were able to straighten your arms without pain, I'd have suggested you just do the next session as planned but it sounds like you may have overdone things at the first session, so the body needs to recover a bit more.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks will do. Can you tell me the best forums for over 40s workouts. It looks like a lot of these threads are now closed.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by mick72 View Post
    Thanks will do. Can you tell me the best forums for over 40s workouts. It looks like a lot of these threads are now closed.
    Some of the best areas to post in are the generalised areas for training and workouts and so forth; wherever you post, someone will normally see it as they follow "New Posts" and/or "Today's Posts" (when not logged in). A percentage of people on the forum are around 40+, so you'll get some good relevant feedback.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The soreness that you're experiencing is perfectly normal. It usually sets in within 48 hours and last for about 2 days...maybe longer depending on various factors. I would not advise lifting weights if you have severe DOMS, as your body is telling you it needs recovery. Stretching and light body weights ( if done properly) could lessen the recovery time and get you back to your normal routine. And when you are no longer experiencing the uncomfortable stiffness associated with DOMS...hit it hard again. Over tine as your muscle get use to the physical activity, you'll notice you won't be as sore.
    I'm over 40 as well. Welcome aboard.
    As mentioned above, If you post in the general areas, many will respond with some good feedback.
    Team All American EFX Media Representative
    Nationally Qualified NPC Body Builder

http://www.aaefx.com/
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AllAmericanEFX
    Twitter: #allamericanefx
    Instagram: @aaefx
    Favorite AAEFX Supplements: Karbolyn, Freak Maker SHOCK, Kre-Alkalyn, and NF-Pro Whey Protein.

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
    All American EFX as they are my own*

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi! I just joined here last month. Been browsing and reading random topics since then. But lately, I had a minor accident that required me to undergo nose operation. Now I have some doubts and and a little bit of fear I guess as to when and how to start again my fitness or exercise routine. Does anyone here have tried or went through the same with my experience? How did you do it? I mean most of you guys here have posted that somehow age doesn't matter. hope you could inspire me more. Thanks!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Keep on the safe space... some people get tempted to push their limits. Obviously it’s playing with fire.