MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default Squats - inner thigh pain

Hello,

I have been squatting for roughly 6 weeks after a long pause in powerlifting. I used to get painful inner thighs (groin) when increasing the weigh of my squat.

Returning to the routine I am finding myself having this reoccurring issue. What I have noticed is when I squat, my right leg does not extend outwards as much as my left (left side is the problem side). What can I do to correct this imbalance so I an able to keep increasing the load I am squatting?

Thank you.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

If you are able to I would recommend seeing someone in the medical field just to rule out anything that could be a bit too much. It might also give you the exact answer of what you're looking for.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelJones View Post
    Hello,

I have been squatting for roughly 6 weeks after a long pause in powerlifting. I used to get painful inner thighs (groin) when increasing the weigh of my squat.

Returning to the routine I am finding myself having this reoccurring issue. What I have noticed is when I squat, my right leg does not extend outwards as much as my left (left side is the problem side). What can I do to correct this imbalance so I an able to keep increasing the load I am squatting?

Thank you.
    My guess is its a technique problem, cant you go back to basic's and iron out your squat technique
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

It's perfectly normal to have one limb more powerfull than the other.

The best thing you can do is to execute single leg exercises: split squats, bulgarian split squats, one leg RDL, one leg calf exercises to create a proper balance between the left and the right leg.

It could be an execution problem but usually this type of imbalance could have other causes.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I recently found a chiropractor who practices Active Release Techniques. It's basically tissue work at your source of pain. I thought I had a back injury and it turns out that I have several muscles in the lower back and hip area that are tight. In addition to being tight, my body has been using the wrong muscles for certain movements. Through the ART treatment the good doctor has been loosening the muscles by breaking up the restricted tissues, stretching, and putting pressure on a muscle while moving my hip joint in order to force that muscle to relax so the correct muscle activates. I highly recommend finding a doctor or chiropractor that practices tissue work. If you have a weakness or imbalance and continue to add weight to the bar then you're going to exacerbate the problem until your body forces you to stop and heal. Prevention is always better than rehab and recovery.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Inner thigh or abductors are a muscle that's sometimes overlooked, and it sounds like they are having trouble supporting their share of the load.

Reduce weight and try front squats and walking lunges (these are important to do and a great overall leg exercise; Don't skip them) as substitute on let's say every other squat day. These both utilize the adductors a little better as stabilizing muscles.

In addition, makes sure you warm up completely before working out, and stretch out your legs and inner thigh regularly (I personally don't like static stretches before lifting). For warm up I like bodyweight / dumbell lunges, along with a thorough rolling session on the muscles. Stretching is stretching, and I dont think you need advice on that.