MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: MMA workout!

  1. #1
    Seasoned M&S Veteran DannyT's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2009
    • Posts
      2,929
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      London
    • Reputation
      39,841,253
    • Rep Power
      398,437

    Default MMA workout!

    Seems like this part of the forum is a bit dead. Trying to live it up a bit let's have a discussion on MMA workout routines. Currently, I'm trying to look for a MMA workout routine for my cutting period, and also to increase strength
    What kind of routines do you guys here follow?
    So far, from research I've found one that really interests me. http://www.fightauthority.com/martia...ngth-workouts/
    It is the sample workout. A full body 3 day workout. It almost follows the H/L/M fashion, and looks interesting.
    I've also heard about the Pit Workout. If any of you follow others, please reply!

  2. #2
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      2
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Missouri
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    As i have a sitting job thats why my food doesnot get digest properly so What should i have done so??


    -----------------------------------------------------
    mma workout

  3. #3
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    The one listed for strength and power is very similar to Rippetoes 3x5

    A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

    B
    Squat
    OHP
    Powerclean

    Thats what im on at the moment and im loving it!!! I train for MMA

    I think the workout style you choose is also dependent on your build
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  4. #4
    M&S Senior Member hallgod33's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2010
    • Posts
      949
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Palm Bay
    • Reputation
      946,312
    • Rep Power
      9,477

    Default

    Spartigus has the right idea. Enough lifting to get stronger, but not too much to compromise fighting performance. I can dig it.
    PRs/CRs
    Deadlift: 425 @ 150 | 335x5 @ 140
    Squat: 350 @ 140 | 235x5x5 @ 140
    Bench: 225 @ 150 | 155x5x5 @ 140
    2/10/2018
    Back at it again

  5. #5
    #gettingstrongman zstadt's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2009
    • Posts
      4,443
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Greater Boston
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      357,006,623
    • Rep Power
      3,570,099

    Default

    I'm also doing a full body routine, the 20-rep squat HLM Workout, which I've modified quite a bit. You can find the original in the "Forget Steroids" article here on M&S.
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
    http://forum.muscleandstrength.com/threads/82589-zstadt-is-back!
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

  6. #6
    Coming Up The Ranks sethiele's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jan 2011
    • Posts
      148
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      iowa
    • Reputation
      15
    • Rep Power
      9

    Default

    i like sparts good quality workout which will help in long run, along with some bag and throw in some grappling (i prefer freestyle or greco wrestling) with some actualy martial arts (kickboxing, and bjj are my prefered) training, with sparring is good workouts as well

  7. #7
    M&S Power User hpglow's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2010
    • Posts
      1,631
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      C/S CO
    • Reputation
      21,847
    • Rep Power
      236

    Default

    I think a combo of Plyometrics and core compounds (Bench, Squat, Cleans, ect all with focus on explosive reps) would work best for MMA. Then some HIIT on off days for endurance.

    But if you look at all the guys wearing "Tapout" shirts in my gym I think the MMA workout is Chest/Tris/Bis every day.
    Slow bulking to 190 lbs.
    Current weight 181.2 lbs.

  8. #8
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      64
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Earth
    • Reputation
      916
    • Rep Power
      18

    Default

    it really depends on how much time you have to utilize for your weighttraining
    it is basically factored depending on how much overall time is going into the actual MMA training.

  9. #9
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      143
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Canada
    • Reputation
      1,081
    • Rep Power
      19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpglow View Post
    But if you look at all the guys wearing "Tapout" shirts in my gym I think the MMA workout is Chest/Tris/Bis every day.
    The tapout shirts don't mean they do MMA, a lot of the time it's posers who want to look cool by wearing shirts from a company that sponsors fighters.
    185lbs to 210 by September
    Muay Thai 3 years exp. OAMA
    Follow my HST log: muscleandstrength.com/forum/member-training-journals/53678-dare-great-hockey1234s-log.html

  10. #10
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockey1234 View Post
    The tapout shirts don't mean they do MMA, a lot of the time it's posers who want to look cool by wearing shirts from a company that sponsors fighters.
    That is so true!! Or maybe the do a bjj class like once a month so they think they can call them self a fighter.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  11. #11
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    I do not see the purpose to be "hitting the weights" if you're MMA get a sandbag and have fun. You need good solid real world strength, barbells and dumbbells will not do this. People can talk blah blah about this, but simply put no. Look back to what the origination of martial arts (the Chinese) did, (yes all arts started from china) they used odd objects and odd object pad locks. Not barbells and dumbbells. Also do not giive me BS about how MMA is harder than traditional martial arts. I'll show you a good ving tsung practitioner and I'll show you someone who will slaughter any mma guy in a real fight.

  12. #12
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I do not see the purpose to be "hitting the weights" if you're MMA get a sandbag and have fun. You need good solid real world strength, barbells and dumbbells will not do this. People can talk blah blah about this, but simply put no. Look back to what the origination of martial arts (the Chinese) did, (yes all arts started from china) they used odd objects and odd object pad locks. Not barbells and dumbbells. Also do not giive me BS about how MMA is harder than traditional martial arts. I'll show you a good ving tsung practitioner and I'll show you someone who will slaughter any mma guy in a real fight.
    I would have to partially disagree. Your lightweight guys probably dont do weights really. But as you get heavier, and thus want to put on functional mass, barbells and dumbells can play a part in building functional strength and size, or simply to just gaining weight.

    Clean variations and a few other core lifts can be very beneficial. BUT doing weights doesnt mean you dont need cardio.

    You need to be strong, and that comes from lifting weights and flipping tires and so on.

    But you need to remember, you will never hear a fighter say "if i could of benched 10lb more i would of beat that guy", but you always hear something about "i ran out of gass, need more cardio" or "i need to work on my striking/ground/etc it game".

    So yes weights can be important, but lifting weights dont make you better at fighting, they might make you punch harder, they might make you more explosive or stronger on your feet. But if you dont spend enough time fighting, you will get beaten.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  13. #13
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    I would have to partially disagree. Your lightweight guys probably dont do weights really. But as you get heavier, and thus want to put on functional mass, barbells and dumbells can play a part in building functional strength and size, or simply to just gaining weight.

    Clean variations and a few other core lifts can be very beneficial. BUT doing weights doesnt mean you dont need cardio.

    You need to be strong, and that comes from lifting weights and flipping tires and so on.

    But you need to remember, you will never hear a fighter say "if i could of benched 10lb more i would of beat that guy", but you always hear something about "i ran out of gass, need more cardio" or "i need to work on my striking/ground/etc it game".

    So yes weights can be important, but lifting weights dont make you better at fighting, they might make you punch harder, they might make you more explosive or stronger on your feet. But if you dont spend enough time fighting, you will get beaten.
    Why do you need do you need barbells and dumbbells to get size. You will do the same with sandbags. Just because you cant do some linear program with it doesnt mean anything. Train for what you do.

  14. #14
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    Why do you need do you need barbells and dumbbells to get size. You will do the same with sandbags. Just because you cant do some linear program with it doesnt mean anything. Train for what you do.
    Yeah it depends on how you train, both offer different benefits.

    If you want to lift odd objects to get big/strong that works, and im sure lots of fighters do that.

    If you want to lift barbells and dumbells to get big/strong lots of fighters do that too.

    Bothl offer progressive resistance, both train functional strength and power.


    In addition some fighters only do bodyweight exercises and conditioning.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  15. #15
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Yeah it depends on how you train, both offer different benefits.

    If you want to lift odd objects to get big/strong that works, and im sure lots of fighters do that.

    If you want to lift barbells and dumbells to get big/strong lots of fighters do that too.

    Bothl offer progressive resistance, both train functional strength and power.


    In addition some fighters only do bodyweight exercises and conditioning.
    I will never say barbell is functional. So i'm not talking out of my ass here

    Sport arts:
    BJJ, Boxing, And Muay thai

    Real combat arts:
    Hung Gar and kali

    the difference in a real combat art were not going to roll around were going to dig our fingers into your eye socket or were going to break something and not let you "tap" Even better will just kick out your knee.

    Remember in real jits the take downs were for getting them to the ground then stabbing them or in later years shooting them. Muay thai is a sport plain and simple. The real art was muay boran.

  16. #16
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I will never say barbell is functional. So i'm not talking out of my ass here

    It is functional if you do the right lifts.

    Sport arts:
    BJJ, Boxing, And Muay thai

    Real combat arts:
    Hung Gar and kali

    the difference in a real combat art were not going to roll around were going to dig our fingers into your eye socket or were going to break something and not let you "tap" Even better will just kick out your knee.

    Remember in real jits the take downs were for getting them to the ground then stabbing them or in later years shooting them. Muay thai is a sport plain and simple. The real art was muay boran.

    Yeah whats your point?
    Im not sure what your getting at. Barbels are function if you do the right lifts.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  17. #17
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Im not sure what your getting at. Barbels are function if you do the right lifts.
    ok

  18. #18
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    ok
    You seem to be an expert on just about every aspect of sports and very talented at arguing using lots of good references and logic reasoning, so I will believe you.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  19. #19
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    You seem to be an expert on just about every aspect of sports and very talented at arguing using lots of good references and logic reasoning, so I will believe you.
    I've been in martial arts since I was 14 and have competed high ranks in powerlifting strongman and powerlifting as well as highland games. If you guys wanna talk bodybuilding or anything else you will own me. But these sports I know.

    (this was not my posting!)
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 11-09-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: not me posting, someone/friend trolled this

  20. #20
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I've been in martial arts since I was 14 and have competed high ranks in powerlifting strongman and powerlifting as well as highland games. If you guys wanna talk bodybuilding or anything else you will own me. But these sports I know.
    Well can you provide some sort of logic reasoning and maybe references behind what your saying? If you can (and I hope you can) I will be more than happy to learn and read everything you say. If you cant this will be the last time I have any direct contact with you.

    FYI saying your competitive powerlifter friend at the gym told you doesnt count as logic reasoning.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  21. #21
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      149
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Reputation
      144,569,781
    • Rep Power
      1,445,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Well can you provide some sort of logic reasoning and maybe references behind what your saying? If you can (and I hope you can) I will be more than happy to learn and read everything you say. If you cant this will be the last time I have any direct contact with you.

    FYI saying your competitive powerlifter friend at the gym told you doesnt count as logic reasoning.
    I wont say which "friend' but he is regarded as one of the all time best powerlifters in the world. I trained at Quads South. Look up who trains there.

    Also try 11 years of hands on experience from guys like Shelby Starnes in terms of diet, Rebecca Roberts (champion female powerlifter), Brandon Williamson 3x world champion powerlifter, Tony larson a guy who competed in olympic lifting in the 1940s on the national level, Dave Lemacyzk creator of keg conditioning, performing strongman mike bruce, and clint darden pro strongman (the guy who gave me my nickname)

    (not my posting someone trolled this!)
    Last edited by OmegaWolf; 11-09-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: not my posting trolled by a friend

  22. #22
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Reputation
      30,047,922
    • Rep Power
      300,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaWolf View Post
    I wont say which "friend' but he is regarded as one of the all time best powerlifters in the world. I trained at Quads South. Look up who trains there.

    Also try 11 years of hands on experience from guys like Shelby Starnes in terms of diet, Rebecca Roberts (champion female powerlifter), Brandon Williamson 3x world champion powerlifter, Tony larson a guy who competed in olympic lifting in the 1940s on the national level, Dave Lemacyzk creator of keg conditioning, performing strongman mike bruce, and clint darden pro strongman (the guy who gave me my nickname)
    Yeah thats great man, but I'm after something more detailed. Like "this particular exercise is better for MMA than this one because.. (going on to explain why)", instead of "This one is better because I said so".
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  23. #23
    M&S Elite Member
    • Join Date
      Nov 2009
    • Posts
      1,050
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia
    • Reputation
      4,334,883
    • Rep Power
      43,363

    Default

    A pretty good conditioning program here:

    http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/w...icane-training

    Toss in some solid compounds two or three times a week (similar to what Spartigus listed earlier), and a heap of sports specific training.

    p.s. Spartigus, don't take the bait. If someone sounds like an idiot, ignore them, because 99% of the time they are.
    Last edited by dodgybob; 04-04-2011 at 02:33 AM.

  24. #24
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,607
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Reputation
      17,494,711
    • Rep Power
      174,966

    Default

    Oh my god, Omega Wolf is retarded!
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  25. #25
    M&S Power User brian62275's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2011
    • Posts
      1,533
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Louisville
    • Reputation
      49,377
    • Rep Power
      509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hockey1234 View Post
    The tapout shirts don't mean they do MMA, a lot of the time it's posers who want to look cool by wearing shirts from a company that sponsors fighters.
    lol.....so wearing an MMA shirt makes one a poseur simply because they dont actually do it themselves?

    Wow, i thought that kind of thinking got left behind in high school? Guess not...

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •