MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Change workout

  1. #1
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default Change workout

    I need advice to change my workout because I have less time for my current time consuming workout and also because I am not adding maximum weight to the bar with my current routine. I have used the full body workout icf 5x5 for seven months now. Before that I used a three day split but the icf 5x5 has worked the most for me. I have been training since November 2014. Here are my stats

    Age : 29
    Gender : male
    Current Weight: 83 kg
    Weight before starting bodybuilding :78 kg and bodyfat percent of 20 % (approx)
    Bodyfat now: 13 percent (measured with bioelectric method)
    Deadlift: 165 kg for 5 reps
    Squat : 130 kg for 5x5 sets
    Bench : 90 kg for 5x5 sets
    Goal: muscle, muscle definition and aesthetics

    Which workout routine should I choose. I have selected some 4workouts day per week workouts myself but I would appreciate your suggestion as well. 4 days per week suit me much more than 5 days per week due to busy lifestyle.

    Upper lower body workout
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...wer-split.html

    Body part split
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...t-workout.html

    Right now I can add 8 kg to the bar per month and per major exercise in Icf 5x5 but the workout is brutal and very time consuming.

    ICF 5x5
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...novice-workout
    Last edited by cooldude20142; 10-03-2015 at 03:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    If your not making progress on your routine it is either:
    1) Bad form
    2) not eating enough

    Fix both of those. Make sure your eating properly and have a good diet. Keeping yourself in a surplus is key.


    Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

    Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    Team ScoobyPrep

  3. #3
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    If your not making progress on your routine it is either:
    1) Bad form
    2) not eating enough

    Fix both of those. Make sure your eating properly and have a good diet. Keeping yourself in a surplus is key.


    Eat in a caloric surplus, meaning eating more kcals than you need to maintain in order to gain muscle, size, and strength.

    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

    Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    I am already taking extra calories. My protein intake is like 240 grams, fat 0.6 grams per lb bodyweight, and rest are carbohydrates for a calories intake of 3000 kcal or more on workout days. On rest days my protein intake is 200 grams

    I think I already have decent from . I have not missed a workout because of injury.
    Last edited by cooldude20142; 10-02-2015 at 11:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      32,504
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Reputation
      1,385,257,343
    • Rep Power
      13,852,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude20142 View Post
    I am already taking extra calories. My protein intake is like 240 grams, fat 0.6 grams per lb bodyweight, and rest are carbohydrates for a calories intake of 3000 kcal or more on workout days. On rest days my protein intake is 200 grams

    I think I already have decent from . I have missed a workout because of injury.
    What is a non training days calorie levels, and how many days do you train per week ?
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  5. #5
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    Well done on your progress, and despite the above posts, I completely agree it's time to change program, running a 5x5 LP forever is not sensible, effective or enjoyable.

    I'd recommend 5/3/1, or canditos 6 week program. I've ran both and made great progress on each after driving myself into the ground with 5x5.

    Alternatively check out the following website and have a look through all the programs they have:

    Www.strengthstandards.co
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  6. #6
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    As for good form, it's always worth uploading a video here for more opinions. I've been working on my form for three years and still have things I'm tweaking. Everyone can be a bit better and striving for perfection keeps you motivated and increases how much you can lift.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  7. #7
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude20142 View Post
    I am already taking extra calories. My protein intake is like 240 grams, fat 0.6 grams per lb bodyweight, and rest are carbohydrates for a calories intake of 3000 kcal or more on workout days. On rest days my protein intake is 200 grams

    I think I already have decent from . I have not missed a workout because of injury.
    Post a video
    Team ScoobyPrep

  8. #8
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    Post a video
    I don't have a recent video but i have a few months ago deadlift video. One of the things i improved after that i posted the video is that i started wearing flat shoes like sneakers, Also kept hips a bit high in the beginning. Here is the link to the video

    https://www.facebook.com/jehan.zeb.7...48497707224777

  9. #9
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    Get a youtube account. uploads much easier.
    Team ScoobyPrep

  10. #10
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    I'd say your hips are too low if anything. You set up in quite a squatted position which leaves you two options:

    1) lift your hips up at the start of the lift
    2) bring the bar forwards so it can pass your knees.

    You seem to do 1 on the way up and 2 on the way down.

    Brilliant article which changed my mind about how to set up and think about deadlifting:

    https://www.t-nation.com/training/de...g-the-deadlift

    Specific issue:




    In general though it doesn't look too bad.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  11. #11
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    I'd say your hips are too low if anything. You set up in quite a squatted position which leaves you two options:

    1) lift your hips up at the start of the lift
    2) bring the bar forwards so it can pass your knees.

    You seem to do 1 on the way up and 2 on the way down.

    Brilliant article which changed my mind about how to set up and think about deadlifting:

    https://www.t-nation.com/training/de...g-the-deadlift

    Specific issue:




    In general though it doesn't look too bad.
    Thanks for that article. I have seen the stronglifts article and it helped me quite. My form nowadays is similar to what you have advised.In the video my hip position at start is fine but the angle of camera creates confusion and yeah I should bring the bar forward a bit more
    The workout routines that u suggested are for advance bodybuilders. I have been bodybuilding for less than a year.
    Last edited by cooldude20142; 10-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.

  12. #12
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    Get a youtube account. uploads much easier.
    Ok i will get a youtube accont later but i have heard that yiu have to convert videos to wmv format first for uploading to YouTube which is why I just upload to facebook.
    Now that u have seen my deadlift What workout routine do u suggest for me . I also gave a few sample routines in my original question

  13. #13
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    What is a non training days calorie levels, and how many days do you train per week ?
    I train three days per week full body workouts. On non-workout days my protein intake is not more than 200 grams and overal calories are around 2700 kcal on non-workout days

  14. #14
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude20142 View Post
    Ok i will get a youtube accont later but i have heard that yiu have to convert videos to wmv format first for uploading to YouTube which is why I just upload to facebook.
    Now that u have seen my deadlift What workout routine do u suggest for me . I also gave a few sample routines in my original question
    They aren't advanced at all. Many people start their training lives with 5/3/1 and run it forever. I started it at exactly the same point in my lifting experience that you are at now. I'm fact I wish I'd started candito's program instead because I'm freaking loving it.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  15. #15
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    Go to www.strengthstandards.co put your weight and max lifts in and I bet it says you're way above beginner!
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  16. #16
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    They aren't advanced at all. Many people start their training lives with 5/3/1 and run it forever. I started it at exactly the same point in my lifting experience that you are at now. I'm fact I wish I'd started candito's program instead because I'm freaking loving it.
    Those are powerlifting routines you suggested. I was looking for bodybuilding routines. I saw the strength standards and I am somewhere between intermediate and advance in strength. Will an intermediate routine be good for me ?

  17. #17
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude20142 View Post
    Those are powerlifting routines you suggested. I was looking for bodybuilding routines. I saw the strength standards and I am somewhere between intermediate and advance in strength. Will an intermediate routine be good for me ?
    A routine is simply that a Routine
    Many bodybuilders run 5/3/1.
    It still focuses on the compounds which is what matters most.
    Team ScoobyPrep

  18. #18
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    A routine is simply that a Routine
    Many bodybuilders run 5/3/1.
    It still focuses on the compounds which is what matters most.
    I have read somewhere that a novel progression from full body routines is upper lower body split.
    Is the sample upper lower body splits which I mentioned in my question equally good for muscle as is the 5/3/1 routine is.
    Also the progression in 5/3/1 routine is max 50 lbs per year which is quite slow. An upper lower split is not only good for muscle but also good for adding weight to the bar and it has lots of compound exercises
    Last edited by cooldude20142; 10-03-2015 at 09:54 AM.

  19. #19
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    50lbs per year is not slow. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you can deadlift 900lb in ten years, it would be a complete miracle. Noting you can already probably do 400lb and ten years is not a long time in strength training. And that no natural lifter had ever pulled 900lb.

    Further to this, if bodybuilding is your goal over strength, then why would the amount you lift matter? Focus on controlling the weight and activating the right muscles.

    The upper lower you found is probably fine, I haven't looked. 5/3/1 is an upper lower and if you want hyperthropy run the Dave Tate's periodisation bible version.
    Last edited by Nezzy; 10-03-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  20. #20
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude20142 View Post
    I have read somewhere
    you can read broscience everyday online
    you can read broscience in a muscle and fitness magazine
    you can listen to broscience from a trainer in a local gym
    You can listen to broscience from Dr. Oz on TV

    one source is not the say it all in your decision.
    If you are making progress on a full body split why fix what aint broken?

    Any SPLIT is good for adding weight to the bar. The factor is dedication and consistency. Anyone can run any split and make 0 gains because they diet sucks and their consistency and dedication suck.
    Team ScoobyPrep

  21. #21
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    Layzie, why don't you do a 5x5 program at the moment? I've followed your log for a while, never seen you do three day a weeks of three exercises.

    I stopped because it was boring me and having no positive effect. Without changing diet I've made better progress on upper lower programs. I completely agree that this guy needs a change of program.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

  22. #22
    Time To Rebound! LayzieBone085's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2010
    • Posts
      26,963
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Erie, Pennsylvania
    • Reputation
      1,875,321,636
    • Rep Power
      18,753,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Layzie, why don't you do a 5x5 program at the moment? I've followed your log for a while, never seen you do three day a weeks of three exercises.

    I stopped because it was boring me and having no positive effect. Without changing diet I've made better progress on upper lower programs. I completely agree that this guy needs a change of program.
    Because i have been training for well over 5+ years, i am not longer a beginner.
    Team ScoobyPrep

  23. #23
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    you can read broscience everyday online
    you can read broscience in a muscle and fitness magazine
    you can listen to broscience from a trainer in a local gym
    You can listen to broscience from Dr. Oz on TV

    one source is not the say it all in your decision.
    If you are making progress on a full body split why fix what aint broken?

    Any SPLIT is good for adding weight to the bar. The factor is dedication and consistency. Anyone can run any split and make 0 gains because they diet sucks and their consistency and dedication suck.
    Even if I continue doing that it is full body workout which is inferior for muscle gain as compared to upper lower body splits. Rest times are higher in full body workouts which make it less ideal for muscle growth.
    I also asked a trainer Matt wild ( team wild) and he said you should do a routine which focuses on one muscle group per day.
    Upper lower body splits are best of both worlds strength and muscle

  24. #24
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2015
    • Posts
      36
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      gym
    • Reputation
      42,023,949
    • Rep Power
      420,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    50lbs per year is not slow. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you can deadlift 900lb in ten years, it would be a complete miracle. Noting you can already probably do 400lb and ten years is not a long time in strength training. And that no natural lifter had ever pulled 900lb.

    Further to this, if bodybuilding is your goal over strength, then why would the amount you lift matter? Focus on controlling the weight and activating the right muscles.

    The upper lower you found is probably fine, I haven't looked. 5/3/1 is an upper lower and if you want hyperthropy run the Dave Tate's periodisation bible version.
    The 5/3/1 routine is good but rest times are too high in that which makes it more of a powerlifting routine. My goals are muscle and aesthetics. Did u check the upper lower splits I mentioned in the question

  25. #25
    M&S Power User Nezzy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2013
    • Posts
      1,861
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United Kingdom
    • Training Log
    • Reputation
      1,575,427,871
    • Rep Power
      15,754,294

    Default

    5/3/1 doesn't specify rest times, you work up to a heavy set on each day for the given lift, then do assistance work. Buy the e book, it's a brilliant program which can be adapted to any goal.

    However, yes, the PHUL program you posted is fine.
    Last edited by Nezzy; 10-03-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    2013 Gym PRs
    Squat = 140kg ...... Deadlift = 180kg ...... Bench = 95kg
    2014 Gym PRs
    Squat = 162.5kg ...... Deadlift = 192.5kg ...... Bench = 105kg
    2015 Gym PRs
    Squat = 170kg ... Deadlift = No improvement ... Bench = No Improvement

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. When to change workout
    By rocklion in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 10:09 AM
  2. change workout
    By donafed05 in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
  3. Should I add/change anything to my workout?
    By feoe123453 in forum Muscle Building
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 02:59 PM
  4. Is change to ab workout ok?
    By marko711 in forum Muscle Building
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
  5. HELP- Change workout
    By argentinarugby in forum Critique My Workout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •