MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default Is 950 Daily Net Calorie OK?

Hi everyone,

I need number benchmarks so I know what I'm working towards, and I want to make sure my calorie deficit isn't too severe. Here's what I've calculated....

Right now I'm 160 lbs. To maintain this weight I'd need about 2200 cals/day. I'm trying to lose 25 lbs, and at that weight I would eat 1300 cals/day to maintain that weight. So I'm looking at a daily deficit of about 900 calories.

I built some meal plans based on my trainer's. diet guidelines. I started with a 1500 Cal meal plan and have gradually found ways to taper down. Today I followed one that's a total caloric intake of 1215 calories, and I'm not lethargic or feeling hungry all day. I can easily add a shake to this after workouts (shakes are 210 to 250 cals) and I'm set there.

I usually have 3 30 min training sessions a week of vigorous exercise.. I'd say I average a 200 - 300 calorie loss per workout (more strength training than cardio). At my last workout though, I ended up going a whole hour! I was really happy with myself. It took me about 25 mins to jog off 300 cals, and then I had a half hour of strength training. So that's a 500 Cal burn right there.

So....on my workout days, following the 1215 meal plan + shake, I'm looking at a net calorie intake of 950. Most articles I've read say women's net calorie should not go below 1200. I really don't want to eat more because I have energy to do all that I want/need to do on a net of 1300 - the workout days that I've felt best on were 1300 Cal days. But the articles also say that when you net less than 1000 your metabolism slows down because it thinks it's got to conserve energy....

I'd have to add another 300 (or just 50?) cals to hit this min. That's an extra meal basically and because I'll already feel full/good I'd be forcing myself to eat when I'm don't feel a need to. I don't think that's good either.

My trainer seems to be trying to get me down to 1200 - 1300 cals anyway and I think she knows what she's talking about. I just want to double check with this new discovery (to me) about the metabolism thing. Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

950 net seems crazy low. I'd stick to that 1200-1300 net, at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Yes you are deceptively strong. Now you look strong but you look women strong, when in reality you are beast-mode strong " - Matty

November 2012 Log of the Month

Instagram: fitmomkali

Max Numbers: Squat - 225, Dead Lift - 245

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by SquatLover View Post
    Hi everyone,

I need number benchmarks so I know what I'm working towards, and I want to make sure my calorie deficit isn't too severe. Here's what I've calculated....

Right now I'm 160 lbs. To maintain this weight I'd need about 2200 cals/day. I'm trying to lose 25 lbs, and at that weight I would eat 1300 cals/day to maintain that weight. So I'm looking at a daily deficit of about 900 calories.

I built some meal plans based on my trainer's. diet guidelines. I started with a 1500 Cal meal plan and have gradually found ways to taper down. Today I followed one that's a total caloric intake of 1215 calories, and I'm not lethargic or feeling hungry all day. I can easily add a shake to this after workouts (shakes are 210 to 250 cals) and I'm set there.

I usually have 3 30 min training sessions a week of vigorous exercise.. I'd say I average a 200 - 300 calorie loss per workout (more strength training than cardio). At my last workout though, I ended up going a whole hour! I was really happy with myself. It took me about 25 mins to jog off 300 cals, and then I had a half hour of strength training. So that's a 500 Cal burn right there.

So....on my workout days, following the 1215 meal plan + shake, I'm looking at a net calorie intake of 950. Most articles I've read say women's net calorie should not go below 1200. I really don't want to eat more because I have energy to do all that I want/need to do on a net of 1300 - the workout days that I've felt best on were 1300 Cal days. But the articles also say that when you net less than 1000 your metabolism slows down because it thinks it's got to conserve energy....

I'd have to add another 300 (or just 50?) cals to hit this min. That's an extra meal basically and because I'll already feel full/good I'd be forcing myself to eat when I'm don't feel a need to. I don't think that's good either.

My trainer seems to be trying to get me down to 1200 - 1300 cals anyway and I think she knows what she's talking about. I just want to double check with this new discovery (to me) about the metabolism thing. Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

950 is a recipe for disaster

Team ScoobyPrep

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

thanks, I ll add another protein shake.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by SquatLover View Post
    thanks, I ll add another protein shake.

If you are already meeting protein intake, the need to add a protein shake would be minimal.
    Team ScoobyPrep