MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default slight shoulder issue help?

I know I am going to get the expected "go to the doctor" response but I am looking for some input on what it sounds like to some, so here goes.

- When did it happen and what were you doing when it happened? I think it began when i was doing smith overhead shoulder presses.

- Where specifically is your pain? Right shoulder from point of right arm bone to down into my upper pec. It feels as though it is muscle related but my arm does pop and crack from the joint when I do wind mills to warm it up however this has been doing this for years and had nothing to do with this injury I dont think. IF I stop for a few days and then return to working out, the pain will come back gradually and then the next day it will gradually fade away for three days until it is basically gone.

- When in the movement does it hurt? It is spuratic in nature and goes away after a few days until when I lift again.

- Does the pain effect other movements too? Seems like anything that I use my arms for, its only an issue on shoulder day but I can feel the pull when I bench, do lats and pull ups etc

- Have you been exercising long? 3 years

- Have you been injured before? Not from weight lifting

- Are you working? Yes

- Are(have) you seeing anyone regarding this? No not yet. Have an HSA plan insurance and want to be sure and possibly hold off until the first of the year when my deductible will reset and then benefit me for the rest of 2016.

- Age? 45

- Post a picture? No picture to post. There is no scaring or bruising which is good in my book.

I will say that If I lay on my right shoulder sleeping and get up, I am very stiff or sore from that until I am up for a minute. Just sucks because I was making great progress and I do not want to have to start again.
    Last edited by mudathlete; 10-27-2015 at 02:20 PM.
    In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

btw, I did get a massage about a month and a half ago and that seemed to help out but I went right back to the gym the next day and it stayed away for awhile with only slight pain. I just dont know what it is...

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
      Somewhere between the wrong side of Heaven and the righteous side of Hell.

the expected "go to the doctor" response.......

oh yeah, and stop using the Smith for OHP's..... it tends to force the shoulder into an unatural plane of motion and can contribute to shoulder pain.

Also - you are 46 ( I am 45 so, I feel your pain - no pun intended ) some shoulder pain is to be expected if you are training the OHP / shoulders on a regular basis but it should be minimal. Good form coupled with a good warm up will keep discomfort to a minimum.
    There is no tomorrow! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! - Apollo Creed

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

the expected "go to the doctor" response.......

oh yeah, and stop using the Smith for OHP's..... it tends to force the shoulder into an unatural plane of motion and can contribute to shoulder pain.

Also - you are 46 ( I am 45 so, I feel your pain - no pun intended ) some shoulder pain is to be expected if you are training the OHP / shoulders on a regular basis but it should be minimal. Good form coupled with a good warm up will keep discomfort to a minimum.
    There is no tomorrow! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! THERE IS NO TOMORROW! - Apollo Creed

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

If I may post a link - you may find this helpful

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-...-shoulder-pain

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I actually worked out my back on Tuesday night and I applied an ice pack on and off for 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off for 15 minutes later that night and for some reason the muscle pain has all but gone. Does this make sense to anyone????????????

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Quote Originally Posted by mudathlete View Post
    I actually worked out my back on Tuesday night and I applied an ice pack on and off for 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off for 15 minutes later that night and for some reason the muscle pain has all but gone. Does this make sense to anyone????????????
    Inflammation causing the pain, and ice reducing said inflammation would be my guess...
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeback303 View Post
    Inflammation causing the pain, and ice reducing said inflammation would be my guess...
    Interesting article I read regarding the use of ice for inflammation - http://www.caringmedical.com/sports....-recommend-it/

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Stop using the smith machine. May be for inteverted rows only.

Try to use dumbbells for overhead presses and don't lift so much weight in that position.

Another thing is your spine health and posture. With any tipe of abnormal spine curvature comes a lot of problems in the whole body.

And the last thing: great progress in detriment of health? You have to think a little bit.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I would heed Spartan's advice regarding using dumbbells for overhead press. I'm currently recovering from shoulder surgery and all this time off has given me a lot to think about and I'm really reflecting on how I've approached lifting. In hindsight, I was doing many things that were just stupid.

I'm at the point where I would go as far as to recommend not only discontinuing the smith machine, but if possible, avoid barbell pressing altogether. As much as it pains me to say it, the more I think about it, the more I can see that pressing with dumbbells seems to be the smart choice for long term health. Even a free bar is still much more restricting than dumbbells and, imo, significantly increases the odds of an injury.

Once I return to lifting, my whole approach will be different. I'm gonna be a dumbbell boy from here forth when it comes to presses of all sorts. I would suggest others consider the same. ymmv.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Interesting article I read regarding the use of ice for inflammation - http://www.caringmedical.com/sports....-recommend-it/
    I have seen some articles relating to this. In my own shoulder experience, I did better with heat application than cold, both times. And honestly, I need to go out and buy a second heating pad. They're just too useful.
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

doorway or corner stretching with elbows upwards, does this help reduce your soreness?
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.