MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Returning to kickboxing in 2016

Whats going on everyone?

My names Mike Caulo I am an amateur mma, kickboxing and bjj fighter. I was on a path to following my dreams to becoming a pro athlete and more specifically a pro fighter which I technically embarked on starting in 2006 but really started from 1996 when I started TKD as my first martial art.

I am currently 28 years old and just finishing my bachelors from Stony Brook University with concentrations in Bio and Sociology. I am currently training part time between UFC Gym Huntington Station (Also a contracted coach for the location) and Long Island MMA (train 1 - 2 times per week when I am consistent which I havent been for 2 months)

Recently in 2013 I herniated 8 discs, and caused me to slow down my training and competing and in 2015 I took the whole year off from any competition to use that time to recovery implement physical therapy, chiropractic, and aqua therapy to heal my body and re evaluate what I am doing. Especially considering I am 28 years old (I know I am old for starting a pro career). However I feel stronger and have found out that I have gotten down to 4 herniated discs.

First I talked to my doctor about this and he said he is unsure if this is realistic and wants me to to get another mri since I never got surgery he is concerned if the mri results are showing a false report. From my research I have heard of other cases of herniated discs being healed without surgery and hope mine is one of those cases.

So my main questions are, has anyone else dealt with herniation's and not had surgery? Have you returned to competition? Any advice?

Looking forward to graduating spring of 2016 and cranking up my training full time and making a come back to competition.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hope you are recovering fast brother, torn my knee ligament 4 mounts ago and just come back training yesterday, I wont rolling for a while tho because the knee is still week.
    I didn't wont to have surgery so the healing will take longer, so My injury is not as bed as yours but I feel your pain Bro!
    Hope you all the best!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

GL life