MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Protein intake in managing weight loss in athletes

Considerations for protein intake in managing weight loss in athletes

Caoileann H. Murphyab, Amy J. Hectorab & Stuart M. Phillipsab*

A large body of evidence now shows that higher protein intakes (23 times the protein Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of 0.8 g/kg/d) during periods of energy restriction can enhance fat-free mass (FFM) preservation, particularly when combined with exercise. The mechanisms underpinning the FFM-sparing effect of higher protein diets remain to be fully elucidated but may relate to the maintenance of the anabolic sensitivity of skeletal muscle to protein ingestion. From a practical point of view, athletes aiming to reduce fat mass and preserve FFM should be advised to consume protein intakes in the range of ∼1.82.7 g kg−1 d−1 (or ∼2.33.1 g kg−1 FFM) in combination with a moderate energy deficit (−500 kcal) and the performance of some form of resistance exercise. The target level of protein intake within this recommended range requires consideration of a number of case-specific factors including the athlete's body composition, habitual protein intake and broader nutrition goals. Athletes should focus on consuming high-quality protein sources, aiming to consume protein feedings evenly spaced throughout the day. Post-exercise consumption of 0.250.3 g protein meal−1 from protein sources with high leucine content and rapid digestion kinetics (i.e. whey protein) is recommended to optimise exercise-induced muscle protein synthesis. When protein is consumed as part of a mixed macronutrient meal and/or before bed slightly higher protein doses may be optimal.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...325?src=recsys
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Taking protein is the big part of the daily exercise.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

hello Doug!,
    just wondering if I am alone or others have this problem too. protein digestion seems to only increase in constipation do not get any other effects. is it common, is their an enzyme I am missing and need to supplement my diet? I do still exercise but muscular size gains are not present but strength is improving some.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    hello Doug!,
    just wondering if I am alone or others have this problem too. protein digestion seems to only increase in constipation do not get any other effects. is it common, is their an enzyme I am missing and need to supplement my diet? I do still exercise but muscular size gains are not present but strength is improving some.
    My understanding is that up to 50% of the population is suffering with hypochlorhydria a condition of low stomach acid, If stomach acid is low, protein is not digested properly and people can become protein malnourished. Some side effects of low stomach acids are bloating, flatulence straight after meals, diarrhea, indigestion, belching, As we age stomach acids are lowered anyway. A diet containing processed foods is also not a good idea if stomach acids are low and can cause digestive and immune problems. I have a competative bodybuilder in my gym who has the same problems but uses a supplement Betain HCI which has improved his problem, maybe give it a try
    Last edited by Doug; 06-26-2016 at 08:40 AM.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Great thread..A large body of evidence now shows that higher protein intakes (2-3 times the protein Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) of 0.8 g/kg/d) during periods of energy restriction can enhance fat-free mass (FFM) preservation, particularly when combined with exercise.

Coming Up The Ranks caitlinstephen's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Informative! Thanks for the sharing.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I usually aim for about minimum 2 times my bodyweight in proteins when cutting. That is in kilograms tho, so for me an example would be for 80 kg bodyweight I would consume atleast 160 grams of proteints.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

You are right. To build a fatless mass, plenty of protein must be eaten. Unfortunately, most of the builders think that eating a whole kilogram of protein per day and training is enough to make them grow lean muscles. Wrong! In the real sense, the body needs about 40 grams per serving. Anything in excess of this will be converted into glycogen and used up in cardio. It means that it will not be available to develop lean muscles. This is the mistake of newbie bodybuilders who try to develop lean muscles do. You will hear them say that they are doing everything including engaging in the right lifting and eating a balanced diet but by the end of the day they have nothing to show. The right way of feeding is to eat between 25-40 grams of protein per serving and ensure that you eat about it 5 times per day. Try this for the next six months and let's compare notes. If you will still have nothing to show, we shall move to plan B