MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Default Advice appreciated! Looking to combine strength & hypertrophy training

Hi all

I will keep this short. I have been training for a few years, and am currently attempting a slow bulk. I am currently 26 years old, 6'2, 190 lbs, 14-15% body fat.

I took up SS a few months ago, and I have worked up my numbers to a "reasonable" (PR for me!) base:

Squat: 235 5x3
    DL: 275 5x1
    Bench: 185 5x3
    OHP: 120 5x3

Obviously these numbers could be much better, but considering where I was for a while, they are pretty good for where I've come from. Now, I really do like the SS training style of short, heavy sets. Especially for lower body work (Squats and DL). But, I still feel like I'm lagging with my upper body work.

What's the best / smartest way to implement a strategy where I "build" more muscle on my upper body, while "build" strength with lower (esp with core/full body strength.) I have looked into PHAT and PHUL, but Lower body hypertrophy, at this point, is not an interest to me.

Is it as simple as using higher rep schemes for upper body work, and leaving lower body work at 5x3 level? Or, doing a split that isn't full body?

Thanks for your help!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I'd love responses. Thanks!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Strenght are overall trainning with low reps and somewhat big resting, in order to destroy the white fibers.
    hyperthopy requires some higher intensity and volume, in order to recruit the red fibers and actually try to recruit all fibers from the specific muscle.

If you want to mix both, you can make your 5x3 squat, then go for a 3x15 leg press. That's the idea from uniting the two world. I recommend you to read a lot.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I have some experience in the weight room from when I was younger and I've always been an athlete but I only started training again last September. Currently lifting similar weights as you. I started with SS and liked it for the same reasons as you. But just in the last month I have started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program.

There are tons of different variations, many address strength and hypertrophy in very simple ways. It is similar to SS, with low reps, an AMRAP set, and linear progression (sort of). You start the program lighter than you think you should, but the weights get heavy pretty fast.

Example squat day would go something like this:

Warmup sets (4-5 sets)

Work Sets
    155 x 5
    185 x 3
    205 x 1 (AMRAP)

Joker Sets
    215 x 1
    225 x 1
    235 x 1

Hypertrophy Sets:
    155 x 8
    155 x 8
    155 x 8

Not all days are 5/3/1... you rotate between 5/5/5, 3/3/3, and 5/3/1 - with weight increasing as you go. "Joker Sets" are in place because you start the program light, so even the last set might not push you (although you focus on the AMRAP set and the Joker Sets are of secondary importance).

The assistance work depends on how many days you train per week and basically what you want to do. The Joker sets and Hypertrophy sets are NOT part of the Base program and could be altered or done away with, depending on what your assistance work is for the day.

Get the 5/3/1 ebook, it's like 10 bucks. If you like it, go for the 2nd edition (Beyond 5/3/1??)... so may variations and challenges with a focus on heavy compound barbell movements.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A good course of action for you would be to cycle your training.For example,1-2 months strength then 1-2 months hypertrophy;different muscle fibres will be stimulated.This is just one of the choices you have available.Do your research and start experimenting .

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

So you want to build muscle in your upper body and only strength in your lower body. You can do high volume for your upper body workouts and low volume (aorund 5 or lower reps).

Try doing upper, lower and upper split.

Where the 1st and 3rd workout are high volumes and 2nd workout is low volume.