MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default SLAP Tear - Experiences? How to prep?

Hi guys,

23yo, started in the gym approx. 4 months ago at 76kg and now at 83kg and looking/feeling a lot better and getting heaps of comments (including a lot of people asking me what steroids I'm taking!).

I injured my shoulder in a motorbike accident about 4 years ago - it doesn't hurt during day-to-day activities, but I'm not able to do certain activities in the gym (eg dips, flat bench press - even with just a bar, push ups) and the activities I can do (eg incline dumbbell press) hurt a little bit when I push hard.

I've seen the surgeon who did my knee reconstructions and he believes it to be a SLAP tear. I need to get a special MRI and see him late January but wanted to seek some advice from the forum. He said it's an easy fix - they just suture it back up, and recovery would be 3 weeks in a sling then 3 months of no heavy lifting (not sure if this means I can lift heavy again 3 months in, or whether I will have to ease back in slowly?)

I can live without the surgery, but given I'm still young, I might as well get it fixed rather than live with the problem for the rest of my life.

Questions:
    1) Just wondering if anyone has had a similar surgery and what their experiences were?
    2) I won't be able to have the surgery for at least another 6-8 weeks (possibly even 6 months). I'm guessing that my hard work in the gym up until the surgery won't go to waste, as I'll be able to get my strength/size back pretty quickly when I return to the gym post-surgery?
    3) Are there any exercises I can do now to help alleviate the pain and make the post-op recovery quicker/easier?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by alex92; 12-23-2015 at 05:59 PM.