MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Lift weights to lose Fat !!

Although any type of execise is beneficial to losing body fat, lifting weight (resistance training) is by far the most important factor for changing body shape. Not only does it help to tone your muscles, (which other forms of exercise doesn't) but plays an integral role in promoting fat loss. The reason for this is that the metabolic properties of muscle tissue. Muscle is the most metabolically active (burns calories) tissue in the body. For each pound of muscle you carrry, you burn an additional 50 calories per day, and you burn these calories on a continual basis even whilst lying on the settee watching the TV.

So if you put on an extra five pounds of lean muscle tissue you would burn an additional 1750 calories per week, regardless of activity level. Assuming that the food intake remained constant, those extra 5lb's of muscle would result in a fat loss of approx 23 lb in one year..!

Also resistance training promotes a significant higher level of calories burnt after training, this is called excess postexercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). Even greater than cardio training, with effects lasting for more than 30 hours. So although you may not expend as much energy during exercise performance, weight training allows you to burn a greater amount of body fat in total.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Excellent post mate.

I know many women who say they do not want to lift weight because they think they will "bulk up". I've never seen this happen. Women do not respond to weight training in the same way that men do, and womens weight lifting workouts are aimed at high rep ranges which do not promote mass growth.

I would like to see more women in the weight room and less on the treadmills!
    Muscle & Strength Store
    - 10k products from over 300 brands
    - 500+ unbeatable deals
    - Same-day shipping
    - Free samples
    - Shipping worldwide

Follow M&S:
    Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Twitter | Pinterest | Tumblr | Google+

Follow Me:
    Instagram | Twitter

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Also ladies, lifting weights causes the bones to increase in density. This increased density gives you a fighting chance to avoid shrinking and becoming hunched over post-menopause when your body starts robbing the bones for much needed calcium. And it will decrease your risk factor for suffering painful fractures from brittle bones as you age.

Its an all around win-win situation when you lift.
    We have the technology, we can rebuild him, make him faster, stronger, better than before...

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Wink

Sorry Damien, but I do not agree with you. Both my arms and legs muscles became bigger since I started working out. Proof? I cannot put on my short sleeve dresses because the sleeves are too narrow now. The same with my old pants - they are too tight. I am cool with it and do not understand why some women do not like to get bigger, but, as I said, women bulk, too.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
    Sorry Damien, but I do not agree with you. Both my arms and legs muscles became bigger since I started working out. Proof? I cannot put on my short sleeve dresses because the sleeves are too narrow now. The same with my old pants - they are too tight. I am cool with it and do not understand why some women do not like to get bigger, but, as I said, women bulk, too.
    Women can "tone" but not bulk up like men due to the amount of testosterone that females produce,

Some women lift weights but fail to follow a correct diet and cardio, so yes they tone up, but with bodyfat still on the arms and not going down then they do get bigger...
    Doug

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

So if you put on an extra five pounds of lean muscle tissue you would burn an additional 1750 calories per week, regardless of activity level. Assuming that the food intake remained constant, those extra 5lb's of muscle would result in a fat loss of approx 23 lb in one year..!
    haha
    amazing mate !!!

I have framed this and have put it on a wall in my room so I can see it everyday.
    Abs are made in the kitchen.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I've just made this thread sticky, because I think every woman on this site should read it...

Also, Rep + to Doug!
    A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Wink

Please, Doug, call it whatever you wish. You are the expert. I am just a beginner, so I do not know proper terminology. I am just saying that my arms and legs were skinny, and now they are muscular (which shows) and therefore bigger. I still do not see much fat on them, just those muscles.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Please, Doug, call it whatever you wish. You are the expert. I am just a beginner, so I do not know proper terminology. I am just saying that my arms and legs were skinny, and now they are muscular (which shows) and therefore bigger. I still do not see much fat on them, just those muscles.
    Hi, any exercise that involves weights will increase muscle size (men more than women) and it is normal to have to buy bigger clothes, sometimes manufacturers sizes are smaller than others,
    Doug

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Toned girls look much better then flabby girls, so if you're worried, don't be!
    "Nothing in this world that's worth having, comes easy"

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Worry? Do you think I am nuts? I love my muscles!!! Thanks for your concern, though.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

He but just dont go too far women with huge muscles and definition just suck (men are looking for girls not for buff pseudo_women)

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

Women who exercise may become muscular, but not to the extent of a bodybuilder who alters diet with supplements/medications to alter their physique. That said as you exercise you may add size, muscle tone and your clothes may fit differently. As you mentioned above and this is not abnormal. Women who exercise will gain some tone in their musculature, especially thin ones. Women however tend to have higher bodyfat percentage then men so their muscular definition rarely shows as per Doug's post. But if you are thin and carry less fat, you will see some definition. This muscular definition is witnessed by some women who are then motivated to proceed further and become female bodybuilders.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Women who exercise may become muscular, but not to the extent of a bodybuilder who alters diet with supplements/medications to alter their physique. That said as you exercise you may add size, muscle tone and your clothes may fit differently. As you mentioned above and this is not abnormal. Women who exercise will gain some tone in their musculature, especially thin ones. Women however tend to have higher bodyfat percentage then men so their muscular definition rarely shows as per Doug's post. But if you are thin and carry less fat, you will see some definition. This muscular definition is witnessed by some women who are then motivated to proceed further and become female bodybuilders.
    hi everyone

in regards to a women altering their shape to that of a "bodybuilder"

intensity of training along with training specificity will have a greater effect
    than supplements or other medications......and may i add there is a whole lot more motivating most women bodybuilders that i know, than just them witnessing a "bit of muscular definition"

happy training

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Hey - yeah I lift weights and love it. I like the muscular look - just not the hyper-bodybuilder look - its fine for some, just not for me! To get that look requires such intense training - cardio to burn the fat, weight training to build the muscle, lots of sleep to repair the muscles, very low-animal-fat diets and on the whole a strict lifestyle! To do it naturally anyway.
    As soon as I get back into swinging my kettlebells around I notice a difference. People have commented on how toned my arms are - and yeah they're quite big I guess, but better bigger and muscluar than big and flabby!
    My only trouble is my thighs - when I workout they also get bunchy muscles. Thats annoying - but hey some of us girls DO build muscle a little easier than others.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

This is an awesome thread and I just emailed it to my wife. Maybe it will help her get motivated to go to the gym.
    The only limit in life is yourself!
    So dont set any limits and you will always improve!
    Current Lifts As of 04 June 2012(actual, not estimated):
    Squat - 465 Bench - 350 Deadlift - 525 Weight: 197

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by MckennaWilson View Post
    but hey some of us girls DO build muscle a little easier than others.
    Your quite right, some females do find it easier to build muscle than normal, and these females have higher testosterone levels than a normal female. Testosterone in females is used for sex drive, and normally a female with a high sex drive does well in the gym..
    Doug

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log

Your quite right, some females do find it easier to build muscle than normal, and these females have higher testosterone levels than a normal female. Testosterone in females is used for sex drive, and normally a female with a high sex drive does well in the gym..
    The mind boggles...
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Haha there is so much I would want to say to that regarding the spinters on my college team... but I'm not going to go there. I've also noticed that some people's body types just react different to weights and lifing. I'm one of those people who have had arm and leg definition since I was literally in kindergarden, but pleanty of my girls are ten times stronger than I am but never quite get that definition. I dont know if thats based on nutrition or just genetics.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Haha there is so much I would want to say to that regarding the spinters on my college team... but I'm not going to go there. I've also noticed that some people's body types just react different to weights and lifing. I'm one of those people who have had arm and leg definition since I was literally in kindergarden, but pleanty of my girls are ten times stronger than I am but never quite get that definition. I dont know if thats based on nutrition or just genetics.
    Well, definition is mainly about bodyfat and exercise level. The more one exercises, the more muscles push through into definition, but the more body fat, the less tight your skin is around the muscle causing said definition. So either low bodyfat or high exercise levels can cause definition!

I know I am stronger then a lot of other guys with much larger / more defined arms then myself, that I think is genetics
    "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly."

"You've got to build the house before you paint it." - muscletrainerd

"Bodybuilding is a marathon; not a sprint." - Coach

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Hey Doug,

Great post! I know so many women who are all hung up on the cardio but never pick up a weight! Maybe they are intimidated by the equipment, (some of the cable resistance equipment looks like you'd need an engineering degree to figure it out)
    I definitely believe in resistance training, to sculpt a sleek youthful body and very important -building bone density. Can you suggest a workout for women starting out-how many reps of what and I will post it at the gym at work!

Thanks!

Coming Up The Ranks MuscleManiac's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmilian View Post
    He but just dont go too far women with huge muscles and definition just suck (men are looking for girls not for buff pseudo_women)
    Excuse me? What? NEWS FLASH! Women who work out have different goals the same as men, whether it be to lose weight or to build HUGE MUSCLES. It's an individual preference. They don't need a pseudo-DADDY to tell them what to do and how they should look. and what women choose to do with their bodies has ZERO to do with what men are "looking for". It has everything to do with what a woman likes about her SELF and what SHE feels comfortable with. Men who are secure in their manhood and not focused on their own "Shortcomings" are not threatened by women with muscles..in fact they like it. And those who don't..who cares?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleManiac View Post
    Excuse me? What? NEWS FLASH! Women who work out have different goals the same as men, whether it be to lose weight or to build HUGE MUSCLES. It's an individual preference. They don't need a pseudo-DADDY to tell them what to do and how they should look. and what women choose to do with their bodies has ZERO to do with what men are "looking for". It has everything to do with what a woman likes about her SELF and what SHE feels comfortable with. Men who are secure in their manhood and not focused on their own "Shortcomings" are not threatened by women with muscles..in fact they like it. And those who don't..who cares?
    Roflmao.....

You tell them girl
    Doug

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleManiac View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself. You Go!!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Excellent post mate.

I know many women who say they do not want to lift weight because they think they will "bulk up". I've never seen this happen. Women do not respond to weight training in the same way that men do, and womens weight lifting workouts are aimed at high rep ranges which do not promote mass growth.

I would like to see more women in the weight room and less on the treadmills!
    I HATE the treadmill, even though I do it every day even on my weightlifting days. I have to say that my shirts fit me differently and have started getting comments about being more toned in my arms and back. When I switched from home workouts to working out with a PT, at first my weights were pretty small, now I actually am getting some of the guys in the gym watching me because i'm putting 35lbs and 45lbs on some of the exercises even though they can put a lot more they still tell my PT they are impressed at my progress(so am I). That's a boost in itself even though my muscles don't look like the guys. It makes me want to keep striving to lift more weight and get as strong as my body will let me, not to mention getting the toned look with a little bit of muscle . Great post Doug!