MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Question Current diet okay? Should I consider low-carb/ keto diet instead?

Need some feedback! I'm 31 (female) and I'm approx. 5' 10.5" (I've gotten varying height measurements, all somewhere between 5'10" and 5'11") and my current weight is hovering around 221. I'm currently doing Farrell's FXB, a combo of cardio kickboxing and resistance band training. We do 1 day cardio kickboxing and alternate upper and lower body bands on the other days, with Sundays off. I typically workout in the mornings, 5am, but occasionally hit up an afternoon class around 3:45. I'm starting my 5th week of this program (I had done this program previously, about 4 years ago and have since had a child who is almost 2, if that is important at all). I'm currently hoping to drop some of the excess weight- so I've been really trying to focus on my nutrition.

I am currently using myfitnesspal to track what I eat. The app has my daily calories set at 1760 per day and I have my macros set at 50% protein, 20% carbs, and 30% fat. I take a pre-workout in the morning, go to the gym, then try to eat breakfast within the hour. I mix some whey protein with my coffee and sip on that throughout the morning, then have lunch around 11. I try to have a snack around 2:30-3:00 and eat dinner between 5:30-6:30. I try to eat a protein snack, cottage cheese, before bed. I've been hitting my macros and staying within my daily calories fairly consistently, minus a few slip-ups/cheat meals over the weekends. I'm not seeing any weight loss, although I do feel stronger, so I'm planning not to do any cheats for a few weeks to see if that helps. Was wondering if this plan looked okay, had been reading about ketosis and low carb diets- is this something that would work for me? I feel like I'm somewhere between a mesomorph and an endomorph, so I was trying to keep carbs low anyways, but wasn't sure if this was something worth pursuing. I wouldn't want to maintain this diet forever either, I'd love to add some more carbs back in as I drop weight and get into better shape.

Thoughts, ideas, advice? I'd love to hear it! Thanks for reading!

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Far too much protein, far too few carbs.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Any suggestions?

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Um, more carbs and less protein?

There's no such thing as somatotyping, so trying to base I diet off of being a "whatever"-morph isn't reasonable. Carbs are your friends. Where did you get the number for your total kcal count? It seems low. I'd personally advise a reasonable calorie deficit (300-500 kcals), 1 gram of protein per pound of bw, 20-25% of your calories from fats, and the rest from carbohydrates.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Sorry, I wasn't very specific, I was asking in terms of amounts, whether it was grams or a macro percentage. My total kcal count came from the myfitnesspal app, based on my height, weight, and goal of losing 1.5 pounds per week- which is maybe unreasonable. I am trying to be patient since I just started back at the gym thing- I wasn't seeing any weight loss, so I thought maybe I needed to tighten up my diet. I had started eating better, but wasn't tracking anything and I'd hate for all the time spent working out to be negated by my eating choices. SO then I read some articles on this website and bodybuilding.com and it was talking about body types and macros for each type...I feel like I am overthinking things, so I thought I'd just ask for advice from people who have been at this longer than me. Thanks for your time, I appreciate your advice!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by EKnight View Post
    Far too much protein, far too few carbs.

This ....
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Got it- thanks for the help! Adding more carbs, reducing protein, working on it already!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22139560

I doubt anyone is going to argue that a high(er) protein diet is important in muscle growth, however, I often see excessively high intakes and that is likely not benefitcial. At a point protein is simply going to be an expensive carb mainly due to gluconeogenesis.
    If it comes down to simply needing to increase calories and all macros are high that is one thing. Excessive protein intake when other macro nutrients could be utilized is not beneficial. If youre 200lbs eating 4-450+ g of protein, chances are youre experiencing this.
    This also tends to be an issue while on a ketogenic diet. Chances are there will be some conversion of amino acids regardless but its important to minimize this by not over consuming protein while in ketosis.
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Did you ever drop the weight?

If not, I suggest that you try the ketogenic diet. I lost a huge amount of weight with it. I am still on it and it has not interfered with my weight lifting.

Cheers,

No Tuk Tuk