• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default starting out again

My stats:

39 years old
    400 lbs

I have been dieting for 2 months. I've dropped about 25 lbs due only to the diet.
    I am just now ready to start working out. Since I am so far out of shape , that
    literally walking up to my neighborhood YMCA, makes my back burn.

My question to you guys, what would be some exercises to start out doing?
    At some point I would like to start lifting weights again. (I used to lift when younger)

I did talk to a trainer but he seemed more interested in seeing me up on a 10 appointment
    payment plan.

Thanks

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

DO-NOT get a gym employed trainer, only get a personal trainer who is into fitness outside of the gym. Most trainers employed by gyms are not trainers but simply business people who are trying to make money off the fitness industry, they know only enough to scrape by the skin of their teeth. They are not knowledgeable in fitness or weight lifting or nutrition, or the fitness industry at all. If you are going to get a trainer get one that has possibly competed in fitness competitions, such as bodybuilding or physique. They are the most knowledgeable in all aspects and will go to the end of the earth just to help you in any way in your fitness journey. With that it aside a really good exercise to do is high knees, all day every day. If you don't like those and are simply trying to loose weight right now you can go on a cardio machine and do 60 minutes of fat burning cardio twice a day. So once in the morning 60min and once at night 60min, 120min on the machine a day. Your fat will melt off faster than you can imagine if you actually put yourself to it and commit every single day and your diet is on point. Also your going to want to be at your target heart rate while on the cardio machine to ensure you burn the most fat without burning muscle and also getting the most fat burned in the amount of time you are doing cardio. Your going to want to have your heart rate consistently at near or close as possible to 117 beats per minute. Remember to check your heart rate on the machine every so often to ensure your heart rate is correct. Once you have lost a good amount of weight you will then have multiple doors opened to do different things. You can weight lift and become buff or cut, you can remain a large meaty man, you can become skinny and small. Whichever you prefer, but each has a different path of getting there. Any further questions let me know. I'm also a personal trainer, if you don't think your diet is correctly adjusted for maximum fat loss,
    Last edited by Doug; 04-18-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Advertising
    Knowledge is power, Christ is lord, and Bodybuilding is everything.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

39 is still young! There are some great articles and workouts featured on the M&S web site - check out the headings at the top of this page.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

@ Flexmode: I got that feeling as well. When I was explaining my situation, he kept asking if wanted 3, 10, or more appointments.
    Never commenting on my story about myself. I figured I would get asked medical and life type questions at least. Sounds like a plan. I just want to get some more weight off, so maybe I will feel better moving forward. (moving in general) I had planned on buying a heart rate monitor anyhow, so I will do that first. But to your statement on which path I would like to take afterwards, I planned on doing something like Starting Strength to start lifting with. That sound like a good idea? I would like to be lower in weight and fat, but have muscle definition and look buff I guess. I thought getting down to 375 lbs would be a good point to start lifting or should I do it earlier to keep from having lots of skin issues early on?

@ Peterk: I will do that. I used to lurk here a lot, back in 2012 time period. I did P90x back to back, and had read thru most of every article on nutrition, weight loss, macros, etc. I also watch videos from Layne Norton.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

good luck chad

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by FlexMode View Post
    DO-NOT get a gym employed trainer, only get a personal trainer who is into fitness outside of the gym. Most trainers employed by gyms are not trainers but simply business people who are trying to make money off the fitness industry, they know only enough to scrape by the skin of their teeth. They are not knowledgeable in fitness or weight lifting or nutrition, or the fitness industry at all. If you are going to get a trainer get one that has possibly competed in fitness competitions, such as bodybuilding or physique. They are the most knowledgeable in all aspects and will go to the end of the earth just to help you in any way in your fitness journey.
    This was the only good part of the post. Everything else was either broscience or we could tell you were just setting up a sales pitch. Strong dichotomy considering you hated on most commercial gym trainers in the first sentence stating their lack of knowledge but you go on to recommend fasted cardio when research is pretty clear on the topic.

Start here: 9 Broscience Myths Destroyed With Actual Science

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWines
    "1. FASTED CARDIO
    Ever since the dawn of the internet, bros everywhere have been waking up with an empty stomach to walk on a treadmill in the hopes that it would somehow help them reach elite levels of body fat while staying anabolic.

News flash, just in case you haven’t kept up with research surrounding physiology and the human body – fasted cardio has no additional benefits to body composition outside of those already found with fed cardio and an ample caloric deficit.[1]

To quote a recent study from Mr. Aragon himself,

“There is evidence that a greater utilization of fat for fuel during a given time period is compensated by a greater carbohydrate utilization later in the day. Hence, fat burning must be considered over the course of days, not on an hour to hour basis, to meaningfully assess its impact on body composition."

Yep, you read that right, the “fat burning zone” marketed on most treadmills and cycle ergometers is nothing more than a misinterpretation of science and human physiology.

No more growling stomachs or moody mornings while you’re trying to get those cardiovascular gains."
    The Journey of a Lifetime: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/80168

M.S Exercise Physiology and Sport Performance (Underway) - Excellence, not perfection. - 130lbs (7/26/12) - MMDELAD

"Being challenged in life is inevitable. Being defeated is optional."

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

^^ 100000% agree Mike. That entire post was full of some of the worst advice I've ever seen, topped with the notion that people who are trainers and who have competed are the most knowledgeable. That's just laughable. 90% of the people I know and have worked with who compete have gotten their results because of great genetics and in spite of their training, not because of it.

OP- you should be able to see a physical therapist by going through your MD on the medical necessity of "generalized deconditioning" along with "generalized low back pain." Then you can get someone with an actual medical degree to set up a safe and correct program for you, which should be mostly covered by your insurance. Taking advice from one of the meatheads in your gym whose entire resume includes an online weekend certificate, some plastic bodybuilding trophies, and no formal classroom education is just asking for an injury.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

@ Mike and lb:
    thanks for pointing out the right path for me on information.

@Eknight:
    I have been to my Dr, last week actually. They said nothing looks abnormal.
    That I must be out of shape. It doesn't hurt like a bad back but more like the way your back
    burns when you do activities when your used to being on the couch. Lol I contacted my insurance and asked
    about programs but my insurance doesn't pay anything on the cost. Might check with my chiropractor though.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

You need to specifically request a physical therapy evaluation from your MD. They likely won't offer it, but if you're persistent, you'll get it. I see patients regularly for exactly your condition.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

I will call today. We checked on a weight management plan thru the company my Dr works for, but insurance wouldn't pay for it.
    They also wouldn't pay for prescription weight loss either. In my state, with Via Christi running everything, it's hard to get them or Blue Cross to pay for anything not normal. But I will ask.

On the chance that I cannot get any access to that kind of physical therapy, what should I do then?

And when they ask me why I am asking for what you said, what should I tell them? Because I will have to go thru levels of subordinates asking the same stupid questions over and over. And if they feel my answer is not the right one, they will drown me in layers of mgmt BS. lol Meaning the weight mgmt questions I asked, got me the run around for a month before getting half ass answers.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I would presume that in your current condition you have at least a few additional cardiovascular pathologies (i.e., hyperlipidemia, hypertension) and are at risk for more in addition to deconditioning and joint pain. I can't foresee any reasonable physician denying a PT eval under those circumstances.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Ok I called my Dr and they are setting an appointment for me. I will let you guys know afterwards. Thanks for your help!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There's nothing wrong with doing fasted cardio. It works just fine and I've done it on and off for many years. So does non-fasted cardio. It might not be any better than non-fasted cardio, but I don't know why everyone here is so quick to jump on and talk like it's some evil.

If the cardio you like is intense, like running, I find it's much more comfortable to do it on an empty stomach instead of trying to run 20 minutes or more after eating. Don't know if it's better or worse from a results perspective, but there's certainly nothing wrong with doing it.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I think the point, though, is that non-fasted cardio is simply better "training economy"- what's going to get you the best results, with the least effort, in the least amount of time. If a person drops from 12% body fat to 6% body fat without compromising lean body mass in 16 weeks doing 60 minutes of fasted, low intensity cardio 5-6 times per week, or in 9 weeks with 25 minutes of fed, high intensity cardio 4 times a week, there's no difference in the end product- there's nothing "wrong" with either approach, but I think we can all see which approach is more efficient.

OP- glad to hear your MD is on board!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by OneGun View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing fasted cardio. It works just fine and I've done it on and off for many years. So does non-fasted cardio. It might not be any better than non-fasted cardio, but I don't know why everyone here is so quick to jump on and talk like it's some evil.

If the cardio you like is intense, like running, I find it's much more comfortable to do it on an empty stomach instead of trying to run 20 minutes or more after eating. Don't know if it's better or worse from a results perspective, but there's certainly nothing wrong with doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EKnight View Post
    there's nothing "wrong" with either approach, but I think we can all see which approach is more efficient.
    ^Yep, this.

I'm certainly not trying to demonize the thought of it, I just tend to be a very sarcastic individual by nature so it comes out in my writing. However, as a strength and conditioning coach, my goal is to provide folks with evidence based information in order to acquire their goals in the most efficient and effective manner possible.

If someone feels like absolute crap doing fasted cardio and they aren't able to maintain any sizable amount of intensity due to whatever reason then they should know that they don't have to suffer through because of the magical fat burning capabilities of low blood sugar and higher fatty acid mobilization during exercise.
    The Journey of a Lifetime: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/80168

M.S Exercise Physiology and Sport Performance (Underway) - Excellence, not perfection. - 130lbs (7/26/12) - MMDELAD

"Being challenged in life is inevitable. Being defeated is optional."