MEMBER LOGIN

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Default Need some advise

I spent 9 months away from my regular home last year and so no Barbells and bench - only working out with Dumbbells. I then fracturing my wrist in August last year causing a lack of mobility in said wrist. I am still unable to bend the wrist back the way I used to before the fracture. When I got back home in February this year I was really keen to start doing Barbell Back Squats again but found that I was unable to bend my wrist back far enough to secure the bar also lost quite a bit of shoulder mobility during my absence from Bb Back Squats. I have had to change to doing Front Squats but am unable to secure the barbell in the conventional way but do a arms crossed hold. This was all well while the weight was lower but I now find that as I have increased the weight (presently 57.5 kg) I have a really hard time preventing the Barbell from rolling forward when down in the full squat position also bruising my Delts quite a bit! What other Quad exercise would you guys recommend that could replace my Squats - I workout at home so do not have access to a Leg Press machine or a Hack Squat machine. I do Split Squats and Lunges as accessory exercises to Squats. Squats being my chief strength training movement.
    I would appreciate all and any advise

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Would Dumbbell Leg Raised Split Squats and /or Dumbbell Lunges work as an option for back or front squats in strength training?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Regarding your front squat position issue, give this a watch and try out the version with straps:

In terms of shoulder mobility, what are you doing to actively improve it? You should start there.

In terms of an adequate substitution, utilize this progression for your single leg work from one of my articles:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWines
    Lunge Patterning

• Step Up
    • Split Squat > Front foot elevated
    • Reverse Lunge > Front foot elevated
    • Single Leg Squat to Bench
    • Bulgarian/Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (RFESS)
    • Single Leg Squat off Bench
    • Walking Lunge
    • Lateral Lunge
    • Pistol Squat
    Full article here: Train Like An Athlete, Look Like A Bodybuilder

As you continue to work on your shoulder mobility, use this to train the legs hard. If you want something to add additional volume after some heavy single leg work, consider goblet squats or belt squats.

Use the latter if your wrist doesn't allow you to get into position for the former.
    The Journey of a Lifetime: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/80168

M.S Exercise Physiology and Sport Performance (Underway) - Excellence, not perfection. - 130lbs (7/26/12) - MMDELAD

"Being challenged in life is inevitable. Being defeated is optional."

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Thanks so much for the advise Mike. I will start to implement the squat substitutes. As far as shoulder mobility goes I've been doing some internal & external rotation using bands and Db Rotation. Also using a stick to do some stretch reaching backwards. I would appreciate it if you have any further advice for my shoulders. I also have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder joint - it seems to be in the front of shoulder when I do any pressing or front raises as a result I have been using pretty light weights when doing any delt work.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Thanks so much for the advise Mike. I will start to implement the squat substitutes. As far as shoulder mobility goes I've been doing some internal & external rotation using bands and Db Rotation. Also using a stick to do some stretch reaching backwards. I would appreciate it if you have any further advice for my shoulders. I also have been experiencing pain in my left shoulder joint - it seems to be in the front of shoulder when I do any pressing or front raises as a result I have been using pretty light weights when doing any delt work.
    That depends on what positions you're restricted in - internal/external rotation, flexion/extension, horizontal ab/adduction, etc.

Couple of questions could help to illuminate some answers for you:
    1. Can you reach overhead without ANY segmental movement within your lumbar spine?
    2. Can you interlace your fingers and extend your arms behind your body?
    3. Do you have adequate amounts of internal and external rotation?

Are you do internal and external rotation with the elbow raised to 90 degrees or are you performing both with the elbow at your side?

M.S Exercise Physiology and Sport Performance (Underway) - Excellence, not perfection. - 130lbs (7/26/12) - MMDELAD

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I really like Goblet Squats. For some reason, I can activate my core and obliques really well doing Goblet Squats. It helps me warm up and get my diaphragm ready for low bar squats.

You should be able to front squat 60kg with the arms crossed form. You just have to keep your back neutral, and as vertical as possible. Try to look up. If you're having trouble keeping the bar on your depts it's probably because you have a lack of mobility that is causing you do lean forward too much when you are in the hole.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Rtwilli4 View Post
    If you're having trouble keeping the bar on your depts it's probably because you have a lack of mobility that is causing you do lean forward too much when you are in the hole.
    Sometimes but not always the case. Stability and mobility exist on a continuum, you can't discount one without the other.

Hence why I wrote this article for folks who want to front squat but can't seem to get into position:

Fix Your Front Squat: The Complete Guide to the Front Rack

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWines View Post
    That depends on what positions you're restricted in - internal/external rotation, flexion/extension, horizontal ab/adduction, etc.

Couple of questions could help to illuminate some answers for you:
    1. Can you reach overhead without ANY segmental movement within your lumbar spine?
    2. Can you interlace your fingers and extend your arms behind your body?
    3. Do you have adequate amounts of internal and external rotation?

Are you do internal and external rotation with the elbow raised to 90 degrees or are you performing both with the elbow at your side?
    Hi Mike, sorry for not answering your questions sooner but I was away for several days.

Now to the questions -
    1. I can reach overhead and think there is no segmental movement within my lumbar spine. However my left arm cannot get past my ear (gets to about level with the ear) and I experience some discomfort (not much pain). My right arm is able to get just past the ear without any pain or discomfort.
    2. I can interlace my fingers and extend my arms behind my back but experience mild pain in the left shoulder.
    3. I don't have much trouble with internal rotation but with external I am not able to get the arms in a straight line with my trunk i.e. the forearms at 180 degrees (rotation done with elbows at my side). When I do external rotation using a resistance band I experience pain in the left shoulder.

I also experience pain when doing a Barbell Shoulder Press but not nearly as much pain when doing Dumbell Shoulder Press or Arnold Press. The Arnold Press is the most comfortable but if I go heavy I also experience pain in the left shoulder.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Hey Peter, I know your pain all too well. Have you seen the Rippetoe video on the back squat positioning? I found his instruction on hand placement and grip to be helpful.

As for a stretch that may help, stick your nose in a corner, put your forearms on the walls with the upper arms being horizontal. Now lean into the corner holding your arms fixed against the wall. You should feel a pec/shoulder stretch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeback303 View Post
    Hey Peter, I know your pain all too well. Have you seen the Rippetoe video on the back squat positioning? I found his instruction on hand placement and grip to be helpful.

As for a stretch that may help, stick your nose in a corner, put your forearms on the walls with the upper arms being horizontal. Now lean into the corner holding your arms fixed against the wall. You should feel a pec/shoulder stretch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the stretching tip and I'll be sure to check out the Rippetoe video thanks Ridge!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Hi Mike, sorry for not answering your questions sooner but I was away for several days.

Now to the questions -
    1. I can reach overhead and think there is no segmental movement within my lumbar spine. However my left arm cannot get past my ear (gets to about level with the ear) and I experience some discomfort (not much pain). My right arm is able to get just past the ear without any pain or discomfort.
    2. I can interlace my fingers and extend my arms behind my back but experience mild pain in the left shoulder.
    3. I don't have much trouble with internal rotation but with external I am not able to get the arms in a straight line with my trunk i.e. the forearms at 180 degrees (rotation done with elbows at my side). When I do external rotation using a resistance band I experience pain in the left shoulder.

I also experience pain when doing a Barbell Shoulder Press but not nearly as much pain when doing Dumbell Shoulder Press or Arnold Press. The Arnold Press is the most comfortable but if I go heavy I also experience pain in the left shoulder.
    If you're experiencing pain with any of the movements, then it might be time to refer out to a physiotherapist as that is slightly outside my scope of practice.

I can make a few recommendations regarding mobility work but my job is ENHANCE performance once an athlete or client is completely healthy. If they aren't able to go 100% then we can make substitutions to allow them to train around injuries but to address the injuries themselves, then you may need to work with other professionals.

I would encourage you look through all of the videos which I've included in the front squat series, especially the pecs, lats, and t-spine series.

EDIT: Added here if you didn't want to take the time to find them yourself...

FIX YOUR FRONT SQUAT: Addressing the Lats

FIX YOUR FRONT SQUAT: Addressing the T-Spine

FIX YOUR FRONT SQUAT: Addressing the Pecs

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log

Thanks so much Mike! I have already checked out all your videos on fixing the front squat and have made a start and will be continuing to putting them into practice.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

After trying to do the squats I now know from your video how to do them the way they're supposed to be done, thanks.