MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Default At a loss - near to the point of giving up.

Hi all

I've gotten to the point where I've almost given up, to the point where I will walk into the gym, and immediately turn around and walk out. I have absolutely 0 motivation, and it's making me avoid the gym all together. I still manage to make it in 2 (MAYBE 3) times a week, but I feel like that's not enough.

It should be simple. I understand the basics of weight training, and I have been lifting weights for the past 4 years. However, looking back, I feel like although I might look a little better, be a little stronger, it's definitely not something that should have taken me 4 years.

I am currently "Toying" with 5/3/1 BBB. Not because I think I know better, but I am currently not eating as much as I would be if I were on a bulk. I am currently eating at maintenance / a little under some days. So, I basically cut the BBB sets from 10x5 to 10x3. I keep the intensity high, but all in all, finish the workout in about 30 minutes. This does not seem like enough time to build any muscle, or strength.

My strength gains have remained the same. I have recently taken up a hobby that I love, that involves a lot of walking (no it's not Pokemon Go!). I walk about an average of 8 miles a day. This is only eating more into my calorie expenditure, which I already struggle with. I simply cannot afford/stomach to eat 4000+ cals a day. I know that's what it takes, but I simply do not want to that, especially when I don't even have visible abs to excuse a bulk.

I am more leaned out now, though I still need improvement. My shoulders are broad but still scrawny. My arms are still small (12.5 - 13'' unflexed I imagine).

Does anyone have any sort of idea what I could do, where I could go from here? I post to these threads, but I still feel all alone. Every trainer I go to with these concerns ends up throwing me on a balance ball to do body weight squats or do 3000 burpees. This is not what I need or what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help, please?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

I'm only guessing but it seems like you are not making the mind-muscle connection, where you feel the pump and enjoy how it feels and makes you look bigger and feel stronger. Going to the gym and just going through the motions without concentrating on what you are doing will lead to sloppy form and injuries then most likely stop going to the gym altogether. If you have 12" arms most likely you do not need 4000 calories a day, more like 2850 to 3250, figure out how much YOU need to make gains, there is a calculator on this site. Quite possibly it is time for you to change things up with your workouts as your body will adapt to the same old, same old week after week. Check out: http://www.simplyshredded.com/german...-strength.html and change things up for a few weeks with some volume training where you do 10 sets of 10 reps of certain exercises with STRICT FORM and little rest between sets. You will feel the pump and make the mind-muscle connection through pure time under tension. It will take longer than 30 minutes for a volume training session. During the week on off days do push ups, working up to 5 sets of 20 with 40 seconds of rest in between, then do sets of 25 when those get too easy and on another off day do pull ups or inverted rows working up to 5 sets of 15 or 20. If a trainer is not as big or bigger than you want to be chances are he can't help you get to where you want to be. Get your mind into it and you will make gains. These are things that have worked for me and I'm sure others will respond to your post with what has worked for them. Start a training log here and post your workouts and thoughts about what you are doing. There are many of us here who are willing to help. Good luck with your fitness goals.
    54 years old
    5'8" 170lbs
    Neck 17.5"
    Chest 48"
    Waist 32"
    Biceps 15"
    Forearms 13"
    Wrist 7.25"
    Thighs 23"
    Calf 16"
    Body Fat Percentage: 11%
    Daily Calorie Goal: 3000
    Weight goal 190lbs at 12-15% BF

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

work on the mind-muscle connection, brother. sounds like your frustration isn't in the gym, it's in your head. Best of luck to you!