MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Default Metal garage gym

Can I cget anyone's thoughts on a metal garage gym, the size will be either 20x10 or 20x12 both have a height that allows pull ups and OHP. The equipment I plan to store/use will be:
    multi press rack
    Olympic bar and played
    Pull up/dip station
    Punch bag
    Few kettlebells Dumbbells and rollers ect.
    And mat area?

The flooring is solid concrete I already have heavy duty matting that can withstand pretty much everything, therefore I won't need massive space for my rack bar ect as I won't be putting a platform down?

And suggestions or even pictures of those who have tried something similar?

Cheers

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I have a set-up in a single garage at the rear of my property.

There is no electrics and so lighting is a pain. I use numerous camping lights and they tend to be okay.

But for heating in the winter, I use a paraffin heater which is not ideal.
    And as for air-con - I just deal with the heat!

To test over-head pressing, simply ensure you can d so without actually holding any weight. If you stand inside and raise your hands, is there enough space to cater for the additional height of the plates? You should be able to visualise that.

The punch bag could go outside. Make sure it is weather proof. It's far better to allow for a lot of extra room for that.

A rack is better than a cage. I went with the cage and it is a pain getting the bench in place. A rack would have been better.

As for the pull-up bar, you could select a rack with a built in pull-up bar.

The key advice is to get measurements of everything you intend to buy. Then draw out the floor space each bit of equipment will use up with chalk. Then mimic the exercises you'll be doing within the spaces. Ensure that you ave enough room.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Thanks for the reply, I've already marked off the area and height ect and everything seems fine I' was just wanting to get a feel for how things felt once the walls are up as I feel it may seem a little more cramped. Ye I thought about the rack with the pull up bar attached but then went for one of these multi press stands instead so I'm gonna have to get the pull up bar separate however I feel the multi press is much more space efficient that a full on cage.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The best advice is to use as little equipment as possible. That's why I'd say to leave the punch bag outside, if to even bother with one.

Have you considered a compact dual cable stack? They could replace the need for dumbbells.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I am actually looking to redesign equipment for home/garage gyms

I am starting my senior thesis project at Iowa State University in Industrial Design. I am looking to redesign workout equipment by condensing the space used while maximizing priority and supplementary equipment. Whether you are a beginner or experienced weightlifter, your participation will tremendously help me gather much needed information. Feel free to share this link with your family, friends, and other gym enthusiasts. The link below will direct you to the survey. Thanks for your participation in advance!!

https://iastate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...QEN5jHe82dgUeN