MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Shoulder injury will not heal, what workouts can I still do?

About 2 months ago I noticed slight pain in my shoulder/upper back. I figured it would not take long to heal and I would just work everything besides shoulders and back until it healed. 2 months later it has still not healed and I do not want to continue just working just chest legs and arms as I am afraid I will become much stronger in certain areas than others, which I know is not good. I have not been to the gym in about a week and a half now, and I can feel that I am already starting to lose gains. What should I do? Should I just not go to the gym while the injury heals? Is it ok to just be doing chest arms and legs? I have been to the chiropractor for the injury and he can't figure out what is wrong.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

If you have health insurance, I'd advise getting it looked at by an orthopedic MD, who can use diagnostic imaging if necessary and prescribe physical therapy. FWIW, you have an injury in your shoulder complex, working chest is likely going to continue to aggravate it. Good luck!
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

The reason your shoulder isn't getting any better is because working both chest and back also incorporates your shoulders. I'd recommend taking some time out of lifting weights, see a physio and wait for it to heal before picking up another barbell.

Once you feel it's healed, work very gradually into weights again. I'd even go as far as saying start with body weight exercises and work your way back to weights. Shoulder injuries are serious, and if you let them fester for too long, you'll seriously impede your lifting life later on. Of course, you can still perform cardio while you take time off weights.
    "In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Good Will." - Winston Churchill

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

agree with simon says! as a physio- may seek more personal advice on how to train to not cause an increase in your current disability or cause further damage another area which may need to compensate and it probably will cause further injury which can cloud your recovery, keep us posted!
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90). Also been working out consistently at a community center-JCC since November of 2014. Nice to have the home gym to fall back on off days.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Go see a MD and get a PT referral IMO. I had an impingement that had me convinced I'd torn my rotator cuff -- did not heal for 6 months, 30% range of motion! After two weeks of TEMS and ultrasound I was moving at 90% range of motion. Best of luck.