MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default What to take for Intra- workout Nutrition?

So I need some clarification on Intra-workout nutrition basically what should I take?

Now I've done Intra-workout nutrition before by 1/2- way through my lifting sessions drinking my protein shake because I read that it's better to drink it as Intra-workout nutrition instead of Post-workout nutrition; now if this is true the that's probably the only answer I need.

But I see BCAA's are good (but often expensive) so I also was wondering if eating a protein bar or any other food would be a good (and probably cheaper) option

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

If you're eating beforehand, your best bet is just water. If you train fasted, BCAAs have some benefit. There's really no need for anything during or "immediately" after (i.e., you don't need to chug a shake within 30 minutes) if you've eaten a good meal before you train, though.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yeah the article that started me down this path explained that Pre and Intra-workout nutrition where more important, but I usually hit the gym right after work which usually means that I have no food left over from my lunch to eat 40 minutes before working out.

Also I am training below my BMR maintenance-calories (not sure if this counts as a full fledged training fast) and trying to cut carbs on specific days to help lose some fat so if there are now foods that I can grab from the super market then I might have to look into buying these BCAA capsules again.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Cutting carbs will absolutely not increase fat metabolism. I'd revisit that. As far as "fasted," if you've eaten anything within 6-8 hours prior to training, you're not fasted. If you've eaten anything within 3-4 hours prior to training, you probably don't need intra-workout supplementation. Gastrointestinal transit takes hours and hours. Most food stays in your stomach for 3-6 hours after consumption, and travels through your 20+ feet of intestines for absorption for another 4-6.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky000 View Post
    So I need some clarification on Intra-workout nutrition basically what should I take?

Now I've done Intra-workout nutrition before by 1/2- way through my lifting sessions drinking my protein shake because I read that it's better to drink it as Intra-workout nutrition instead of Post-workout nutrition; now if this is true the that's probably the only answer I need.

But I see BCAA's are good (but often expensive) so I also was wondering if eating a protein bar or any other food would be a good (and probably cheaper) option
    BCAA's would be a good option if you train fasted upon waking
    refer to here in the leangains guide and take 10g before fasted training:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

If you are training in a fed state most chances are you can just go home and eat a meal after.
    some more clarificatoin for you.

Whole foods will trump supplement 99% of the time. Supplements remember are there to help supply what you do not get from dietary needs. Place and keep the focus on whole foods as much as possible.

When are Carbs and Protein VERY Important Post-workout?

Carbs:
    - During leg Training + HIIT Cardio or doing a 2-3 hour intense workout session
    Protein:
    -Resistance Training in a fasted state (no meal consumed at least 3-4 hours prior)

When are Carbs and Protein of lesser importance Post-workout?

Carbs:
    - 1-2 hour training session after a pre-workout meal (Small or mixed 2-3 hours prior to session)
    Protein:
    - Training after a meal composed of 20-40g Protein at least 1-2 hours prior to a workout in a fed state.

Overall Cliffs:

- Nutrient Timing can be beneficial but window of opportunity is not as big as believed
    - Provided protein rich meal 3-4 hours prior to training, there is no stress about immediate post-workout protein supplement or meal
    - Consume .4-.5g/kg of LBM in a pre/post workout exercise window spaced 4-6 hours depending on meal size.
    - Post workout carb intake does not meaningful increase aabolicsm unless doing a 2 a day workout session involving same muscle groups. Glycogen is not a limting factor if you can consume enough Carbohydrates daily in the 24 hour period.
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

HBCD + Peptopro

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI CRR-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

I drink water.
    "In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Good Will." - Winston Churchill

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky000 View Post
    Yeah the article that started me down this path explained that Pre and Intra-workout nutrition where more important, but I usually hit the gym right after work which usually means that I have no food left over from my lunch to eat 40 minutes before working out.

Also I am training below my BMR maintenance-calories (not sure if this counts as a full fledged training fast) and trying to cut carbs on specific days to help lose some fat so if there are now foods that I can grab from the super market then I might have to look into buying these BCAA capsules again.
    What was the article that got you thinking about pre- and intra-workout nutrition?