MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Ruined metabolism

So any of you over 40s on the board have a completely ruined metabolism due to years of yoyo dieting or similar experiences? I'm 45, 5'8" 190 and maintain at somewhere around 1500 and 1700 calories depending on activity, maybe closer to 2000 if I'm very active that day. I've been a lot of different weights over the years, and I've had many different lifestyles from an activity perspective. These days I'm pretty active and trying to put on muscle mass, in part (maybe 20% of the motivation) so I can start eating more. The other 80% is split between improving my sparring performance (HEMA) and keeping my wife thinking I'm yummy

Anyway, I'm not sure how rare my experience is in terms of the extremity of my experience. I know how I got here, and I'm managing to it, but I bet there's lots of us out there. I'd love to hear how you deal with it, and if you've ever been able to reverse it at all.

All of the journal articles I've read on adaptive thermogenesis (the reaction to calorie deficit, either through a lot of cardio without caloric increase, or through eating less) is that it is very resistant to change, and subjects, years later, are still much more efficient (burn less calories). So, I'm not expecting a big change any time soon, and I'm skeptical that re-feeds and such will have much of an impact on the numbers, but I'm down for trying.

Steve

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by bodhisagan View Post
    So any of you over 40s on the board have a completely ruined metabolism due to years of yoyo dieting or similar experiences? I'm 45, 5'8" 190 and maintain at somewhere around 1500 and 1700 calories depending on activity, maybe closer to 2000 if I'm very active that day. I've been a lot of different weights over the years, and I've had many different lifestyles from an activity perspective. These days I'm pretty active and trying to put on muscle mass, in part (maybe 20% of the motivation) so I can start eating more. The other 80% is split between improving my sparring performance (HEMA) and keeping my wife thinking I'm yummy

Anyway, I'm not sure how rare my experience is in terms of the extremity of my experience. I know how I got here, and I'm managing to it, but I bet there's lots of us out there. I'd love to hear how you deal with it, and if you've ever been able to reverse it at all.

All of the journal articles I've read on adaptive thermogenesis (the reaction to calorie deficit, either through a lot of cardio without caloric increase, or through eating less) is that it is very resistant to change, and subjects, years later, are still much more efficient (burn less calories). So, I'm not expecting a big change any time soon, and I'm skeptical that re-feeds and such will have much of an impact on the numbers, but I'm down for trying.

Steve
    You already brought this subject up in the other thread

http://forum.muscleandstrength.com/t...lyzed-!!/page6
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

My guess is that whatever problems you're having that you think could be due to metabolism really aren't.

Tell us about your diet (more than just the calories), what your training consists of, and how you sleep.

I also think you might need to really focus on what your goals are. Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    You already brought this subject up in the other thread
    Hey Doug,

Sorry if I've committed a breach of forum etiquette. I saw that other thread as literally being an opportunity to get you, Doug, to weigh in on my diet. In this post I am mostly hoping to get a little commiseration with other folks who are experiencing the same thing, and if anyone has anecdotal information that suggests of a reversal in metabolic adaptation. I read a lot, and a lot of it I go right to the journals (bariatric journals mostly, but others too), but most of the research has been down very specific rabbit holes, and they've not found the end point for adaptive thermogenesis. In fact, I'm not aware of any study that identifies a subject who reversed it, ever. That doesn't mean it's not possible, and I'd love to hear from people who at least think they've done so. So that's my bare naked agenda.

However, if in your view this is double dipping, or the like, I'll happily move on, or append this to that thread. No worries.

Thanks,

Steve

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by OneGun View Post
    My guess is that whatever problems you're having that you think could be due to metabolism really aren't.

Tell us about your diet (more than just the calories), what your training consists of, and how you sleep.

I also think you might need to really focus on what your goals are. Are you trying to lose fat or gain muscle?
    For what it's worth, I'm not that fat guy who blames his metabolism. Twenty years ago or more, I was eating 4K + calories/day and not gaining weight when I was training. This has been an evolutionary thing over the years due to gaining and losing significant amounts of weight multiple times, and I haven't been fat in almost 4 years.

Here's a typical day.

Breakfast/lunch and pre-dinner snacks consist of some combination of the following-
    fat free Greek yoghurt (only tradional types, none of the cheap ones with milk solids)
    Protein Plus Peanut Powder
    Whey protein (only lean - low fat/low carb)
    Pea Protein
    BCAA Supplements
    Tuna
    Occasional use of sandwich thins, and low cal, high protein/fiber tortillas (50 cal)

Less frequently of late, but over the last several years I've also had
    Oat Bran (not the cereal of the same name, but the stuff, just oat bran. More protein and fiber than Oatmeal).
    Oatmeal

Dinner is more rounded, a lean protein, chicken, sirloin, pork tenderloin, turkey breast, with a steamed or baked vegetable, and if there's a starch it will be like a quinoa, sweet potato, lentils, hard beans, or higher protein whole grains.

Weekends my wife and I allow ourselves a bit of a feed, and eat out for dinner at least once, if not twice. It could literally be anything, but I don't go much for dessert, and my goals aren't far from mind.

These last few months I usually get between 180 and 210 grams of protein. The rest split between carbs and less so fat. Prior to hitting the weights again, I was closer to 150 grams. It's really hard to put up those kind of numbers without busting the calorie budget. Thus the lean protein sources above.

I weight train about 3X per week with light cardio warm up (10 minutes or less). I alternate between strength training and hypertrophy training. If I miss a day, I'll do body weight stuff at the house, and I have some dumbbells.

2X a week I spar/fence

2+ days a week I walk or hike for a couple of hours with my wife. Once to every other week the hike is a vigorous hike over two small mountains we have in the area.

Primary goal - build muscle/ strength train (I see these as two separate, but synergistic goals), improve body composition.
    Secondary goals - Raise HDL, modest increase in endurance, maintain T (I'm getting older).

I'm a fairly lean (not lean enough just yet) 5'8 190lbs 45 years old. I trained seriously more than twenty years ago, and once in a while returned to the gym over the years, but always done so halfheartedly until this year. I've rarely been sedentary, but there's been spells. It's hard to put me in a category as newb/intermediate since I've done it so inconsistently, but I lift pretty heavy, and I'm fit enough to keep up with 20 and 30 somethings while fencing. I'm looking to go all in, and no that I have my wife and sons going with me, it's more likely to stick. The other thread that Doug references above I go into my yo yo dieting of the past, and my hypothesis for trashing the metabolism.

Thanks,

Steve

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Use more seeds, flaxseeds, grains, nuts, oils such as virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, nut oils, soy, oily fish, eggs, etc, try to get 15% - 20% of your total calories as fat
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Have you had a complete thyroid panel run? Even better if you have a history of thyroid blood work in your file to see what is happening over a longer period of time.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM