MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Dumbbells muscle gain program - advice needed

Hi guys. I've recently started a training program at home and I would like you opinion/advice as I am just a beginner.

At 29 years I am 173cm and weight 68kg. Therefore too slim and skinny for my age.

I'm only looking to add 7-10kg more and give my body a bit of shape. Just enough not to be ashamed to take off my t-shirt.

I use a pair of 10kg/e dumbbells and will get more weights as I progress.

I take around 3000calories/day : breakfast/lunch/dinner + 2 shakes + small snacks in between ( usually fruits yogurt). In general my diet consists of : grilled turkey breast,minced Angus beef ( usually in bolognese or chili con carne) basmati rice white or brown, lentils, cuscus, integral cereals, oats ( without added sugars) greek yogurt, milk, eggs, potatoes,dark granary bread and different fruits and vegetables. Usually I try to get organic and with less sugars. I've also reduced the amount of alcohol to 1 cider now and then ( no more beer,whiskey)

I use an Extreme Mass Gainer: 400kcal/39.6g Protein/8.82g Fat/ 42g Carbs (10.69g sugars)/2.85g fibers/ 5g Creatine 1 between breakfast/lunch and 1 right after the training.
    I keep track of what and how much I eat using an android app.

This is my program, with 1 resting day in between:

A:
    1. Goblet Squat
    2. Dumbbell Bench Press
    3. One Arm Dumbbell Row
    4. Dumbbell Skull Crusher
    5. Lateral Side Raise
    6. Farmer’s Walks
    7. Plank

B:
    1. Reverse Lunge
    2. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    3. Dumbbell Pull-Over
    4. Dumbbell Curl
    5. Dumbbell Concentration Curl
    6. Dumbbell Reverse Curl
    7. Rear Delt Raise
    8. Crunches
    9. Oblique crunches

So basically it goes A - rest - B - rest - A- rest ..and so on.

3 sets X 8 rep. I plan to increase the reps by 1 until I get to 12, then add more weight and start from 8 again, and so on. 30 sec rest between the sets/ 2 min rest between exercises.

Now the questions. I've read a lot of articles, watched tons of clips on youtube but everybody seems to have different opinions.

1. Is it necessary to keep the same calories intake even on resting days?

2. I feel that 2 servings of the Mass Gainer might be too much. Should I replace the one after work with something else?

3. What do you guys think about my training program? Any exercise that I should remove or add? Maybe more chest on program A?

4. Does the muscle get used to the routine if you go progressively with the weights? I've watch Schwarzenegger's Blueprint Training Program and he was always mentioning about shocking the muscle?! How does that work? once in a while you just train with heavier weights then go back to your program? I'm a bit confused here.

5. I've noticed that my right arm has more strength than the left. So after workout the left biceps is always pumped while right is quite relaxed. How do you overcome this, train with same weights until both become of equal strength? Would this give an unequal growth?

I would like to apologies for so many questions. I have tried going to the gym but is quite far and honestly sometimes is very crowded. I don't want to be waiting 10 minutes between the exercises. Thank you.
    Last edited by alecs; 08-22-2016 at 09:26 PM.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Today I've made some adjustments to my meal plan according to the BMR I got using an online software:

Weight: 150 pounds
    Body Fat: 18%
    BMR at rest:1667
    BMR in motion: 2584
    Average: 2125 calories/day + 500cal ( for weight gain)

Protein: 210g = 840cal
    Fat: 80g = 720cal = 2625cal/day
    Carbs: 266g = 1065cal

I've decided to replace one of the shakes with a protein one.

Coming Up The Ranks caitlinstephen's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Dumbbells allow you to train one side of your body at a time, which is great for curing any strength imbalances you've developed.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by alecs View Post
    Hi guys. I've recently started a training program at home and I would like you opinion/advice as I am just a beginner.

At 29 years I am 173cm and weight 68kg. Therefore too slim and skinny for my age.

I'm only looking to add 7-10kg more and give my body a bit of shape. Just enough not to be ashamed to take off my t-shirt.

I use a pair of 10kg/e dumbbells and will get more weights as I progress.

I take around 3000calories/day : breakfast/lunch/dinner + 2 shakes + small snacks in between ( usually fruits yogurt). In general my diet consists of : grilled turkey breast,minced Angus beef ( usually in bolognese or chili con carne) basmati rice white or brown, lentils, cuscus, integral cereals, oats ( without added sugars) greek yogurt, milk, eggs, potatoes,dark granary bread and different fruits and vegetables. Usually I try to get organic and with less sugars. I've also reduced the amount of alcohol to 1 cider now and then ( no more beer,whiskey)

I use an Extreme Mass Gainer: 400kcal/39.6g Protein/8.82g Fat/ 42g Carbs (10.69g sugars)/2.85g fibers/ 5g Creatine 1 between breakfast/lunch and 1 right after the training.
    I keep track of what and how much I eat using an android app.

This is my program, with 1 resting day in between:

A:
    1. Goblet Squat
    2. Dumbbell Bench Press
    3. One Arm Dumbbell Row
    4. Dumbbell Skull Crusher
    5. Lateral Side Raise
    6. Farmerís Walks
    7. Plank

B:
    1. Reverse Lunge
    2. Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    3. Dumbbell Pull-Over
    4. Dumbbell Curl
    5. Dumbbell Concentration Curl
    6. Dumbbell Reverse Curl
    7. Rear Delt Raise
    8. Crunches
    9. Oblique crunches

So basically it goes A - rest - B - rest - A- rest ..and so on.

3 sets X 8 rep. I plan to increase the reps by 1 until I get to 12, then add more weight and start from 8 again, and so on. 30 sec rest between the sets/ 2 min rest between exercises.

Now the questions. I've read a lot of articles, watched tons of clips on youtube but everybody seems to have different opinions.

1. Is it necessary to keep the same calories intake even on resting days? Not really, although when you're trying to bulk, it isn't going to hurt having a few extra calories, but you can always subtract a rough estimate of what you would burn had you exercised and adjust accordingly. (personally, i just eat the same regardless)

2. I feel that 2 servings of the Mass Gainer might be too much. Should I replace the one after work with something else? Why do you feel this way? Are you unsatisfied with it, or do you have health concerns? Mass gainers are usually just a protein blend with some carbs and maybe fats mixed in. You can make your own at home by mixing a regular protein powder with some oates and that way you don't have to pay for the mark-up. I'd personally prefer an actual meal instead of those weight-gainers, as this would make me feel more satisfied, but I do understand that most people take them because they phiscally can't eat that much in the day. But my top tip to increase appetite is to do plenty of cardio. Do cardio for like 30/40 minutes every day and I bet any money you can eat like a horse.

3. What do you guys think about my training program? Any exercise that I should remove or add? Maybe more chest on program A? Program seems ok to me. Tbh, you can do ANY program and see results as long as you stay committed to it for an extended period of time. Too many people start a program and then change after a few months. Personally I don't change program until at least a year has gone by. As long as you're always pushing yourself and always progressing your weights, you'll see results. Have you considered adding some body-weight movements to the plan? Such as pull-ups and press ups? I'm a firm believer in being able to handle your own body-weight before you even tough a weight. I think these movements would make great additions to your plan.

4. Does the muscle get used to the routine if you go progressively with the weights? I've watch Schwarzenegger's Blueprint Training Program and he was always mentioning about shocking the muscle?! How does that work? once in a while you just train with heavier weights then go back to your program? I'm a bit confused here. This theory refers to muscle memory, and how your body will subconsciously adapt to make the movements you do for extended periods of time easier. I don't think this is something you're going to have to worry about as a beginner, this is something that happens when you've been training for a long time and you plateau. When this occurs, you have to do something to push yourself even further - usually in the form of super-sets, pyramid training or even trying a completely different form of training for a little while. But as said, this is something you don't really have to worry about for now.

5. I've noticed that my right arm has more strength than the left. So after workout the left biceps is always pumped while right is quite relaxed. How do you overcome this, train with same weights until both become of equal strength? Would this give an unequal growth? I'd say maybe do an extra couple of sets for the weaker arm. Do that until you feel they've evened out, however your dominant arm will likely always be a bit stronger than the other, for obvious reasons.

I would like to apologies for so many questions. I have tried going to the gym but is quite far and honestly sometimes is very crowded. I don't want to be waiting 10 minutes between the exercises. Thank you.

Hope my answers helped. If you have any other questions, feel free to add me and message me.
    "In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Good Will." - Winston Churchill

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

My concern about that mass gainer was indeed the healthy issue as they advice not to go over 1 serving/day unless you do really heavy training. I would prefer to have a meal unfortunately is not always possible. Especially at work. Therefore a shake is much more convenient. I was actually looking at some pull ups bars that don't require making holes in your walls. I'm a bit skeptic about their safety though. Push ups would be easy to add, and i am looking to do that. Thanks.

I was thinking that after a certain period ( 2 -3 months) having the same exercises will make the muscle get used to your patter and become "lazy". Considering what you've said, that will actually happen much later in the training.

I've also added Seated Calf rises/ Single leg calf rises.

thanks for answering my questions.