MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: torn meniscus

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Default torn meniscus

man i started working out again but after 2 weeks my knees started cracking alot and eventually both my legs have gotten stiff, i can barely walk. not exactly painful but uncomfortable. no swelling at all.

doctor said i may have a slightly torn meniscus. she recommended calcium+d3 and glucosamine+chondroitin, ice 3 times a day. She also told me my quads are under developed and i should work them out.

anyone else have a similar issue? im thinking negative as hell right now, i want to get back in the gym so bad but i dont see myself recovering at all from this.
    Making all KINDS OF GAINS!
    ISYMFS-Ct Fletcher

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 0scar View Post
    man i started working out again but after 2 weeks my knees started cracking alot and eventually both my legs have gotten stiff, i can barely walk. not exactly painful but uncomfortable. no swelling at all.

doctor said i may have a slightly torn meniscus. she recommended calcium+d3 and glucosamine+chondroitin, ice 3 times a day. She also told me my quads are under developed and i should work them out.

anyone else have a similar issue? im thinking negative as hell right now, i want to get back in the gym so bad but i dont see myself recovering at all from this.

That's a common injury amongst runners. Do you run alot? If so, take some time off from it and check your technique and make sure you're wearing adequate footwear. Icing is only really necessary as long as there is inflammation. When I get a knee injury, I tend to get a knee support, take some ibuprofen and rest it until it goes away.

As for having under-developed quads, this seems like a very broad stroke of a diagnosis. I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't take that opinion whole heartidly. I'd see a sports physio and see what they say too. They'll also be able to help you recover from it, and teach you injury prevention for the future. You can also help with stretching and mobility work. i.e foam rolling the leg muscles and so on.
    "In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Good Will." - Winston Churchill

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSaysROFL View Post
    That's a common injury amongst runners. Do you run alot? If so, take some time off from it and check your technique and make sure you're wearing adequate footwear. Icing is only really necessary as long as there is inflammation. When I get a knee injury, I tend to get a knee support, take some ibuprofen and rest it until it goes away.

As for having under-developed quads, this seems like a very broad stroke of a diagnosis. I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't take that opinion whole heartidly. I'd see a sports physio and see what they say too. They'll also be able to help you recover from it, and teach you injury prevention for the future. You can also help with stretching and mobility work. i.e foam rolling the leg muscles and so on.
    thanks for the reply simon. I dont actually run. Im sick and tired of getting injured, this is the second time ive had an injury from exercise (low back). I blame it on my mobility and flexibility due to my day job which is sitting all day. Im definitely seeing a physio.

I just tried a knee sleeve and can walk much better. Thanks for the help. I also got ibuprofen.
    Making all KINDS OF GAINS!
    ISYMFS-Ct Fletcher

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Quote Originally Posted by 0scar View Post
    thanks for the reply simon. I dont actually run. Im sick and tired of getting injured, this is the second time ive had an injury from exercise (low back). I blame it on my mobility and flexibility due to my day job which is sitting all day. Im definitely seeing a physio.

I just tried a knee sleeve and can walk much better. Thanks for the help. I also got ibuprofen.

I know the pain of having a desk job mate. Just get up and walk about for 5 minutes every hour. Stretching is also crucial, because sitting can really tighten up your leg and arse muscles, which in turn causes stress on your knee joint.
    "In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Good Will." - Winston Churchill

A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war."