MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: mass gain plan

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default mass gain plan

Hello, I'm 19, male, 5'9", and only 112 lbs. Naturally, I want to stop being so embarrassingly tiny so I figure'd I would try to start with a simple diet plan. I am going to University, so I figure it will be easiest and cheapest to buy in bulk and prepare my meals in advance.

I am aiming for C/F/P 50/20/30, and am aiming for 2600 calories per day. My BMR is 2077 so I added 500 and rounded up. My plan ends up requiring 54.2g of carbs, 9.7g of fat, and 32.5g of protein per meal for 6 meals. With my current plan I am reaching 55.6g carbs, 10.33g fat, and 34.33g of protein per meal as well as 2700 calories per day. So my goals are all pretty close to what I wanted although the calories are a little higher, I figure since my weight is so low right now it's probably not too bad. Does this plan sound good?

I will be going to the gym 3 times/week following Jason Blaha's 5x5 Novice workout. My endgoal would be to continue try to gain weight and muscle for a couple years until I reach around 165 and am happy with my physique and strength, and then begin to focus my workouts around MMA.

So in summation, my questions are:
    1. Does this plan seem good for mass gaining from my weight? I can post the detailed dietary plan if you'd like, but it seems a bit unnecessary.
    2. I know that this is the diet thread, but I figured making a separate post wasn't necessary. Do you have any thoughts/opinions on the Jason Blaha workout in terms of trying to gain mass?
    3. What are your thoughts on mass gain shakes? I currently have some whey shakes planned for snack meals, but that is it.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by brookfang; 09-25-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Body weight x 20
    carbs 50%
    Protein 35%
    fat 15%

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

At 5’9’’, it is true that 112 lbs is way too low. You will better at 140lbs. I like the strategy you have put in place. A bulking diet and workouts should help you to increase your muscles substantially and put on some weight. However, you need to carefully select the exercises to undertake. Cardio will burn the extra fat and may not help you put on the weight you are looking for. However, you need to talk to your trainer to help you select exercises that can help you bulk. But I like your strategy, to gain weight until you are about 165 lbs before you start focussing on workouts.