MEMBER LOGIN

Thread: dip question

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default dip question

Any dip experts out there? I made good progress in about 6 wks Ė from NO bodyweight dips to sets of 8, by using the assisted dip machine. Now I just do 1 assisted set with the lightest amount of assist as a warm up, and follow with 4 sets of 8ea of body weight dips.

But Iím not ready to add any weight yet as there is something Iím concerned about. At the end of each set, when I step onto the rail to support myself, and take the weight off of my arms, I get a good amount of pain where the pecs attach to the sternum. It only happens for a split second when I take the tension off of my chest by standing on the rail. No pain at all doing the movement or after. Just when the tension releases. The pain does not feel like the muscle, it feels like the bone itself(?)

I wouldnít even think about it but I read some crazy story about someone shattering their sternum doing dips, and that doesnít sound pleasant. Especially for someone who canít bench due to a shoulder issue.

Has anyone else ever had this Ďrelease painí? Iím new back at the gym (starting 3rd month) after decades away Ė Iím in my 50s. I used to do weighted dips in my 20s and never experienced anything like this pain when stopping the movement.

Suggestions, warnings, bad jokes, Iíll take anything I can get.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Not that anybody replied, but I got past it. I just kept doing the same 4 sets of bodyweight dips (after 1 set with the lightest assist to warm up) and eventually that weird sternum pain went from seriously scary to a mild discomfort (and still just for a fraction of a second as I step onto the rails and remove all tension in arms / chest.)

And last week I started adding weight. 10lbs for two workouts, and 15lbs on the third. I figure I'll be lifting the YMCA off its foundations by spring.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

You just aren't used to using those muscles. Pain will go away as you get stronger

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Make sure your shoulders are retracted to relieve the tension being placed on the anterior side of your body

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey There!

I actually went through a very similar thing myself not too long ago. Most likely you still need to improved on your form and strength before introducing weighted dips. With calisthenics it takes longer to build up the strength in your tendons, joints and muscles. Try to progress to doing 15-20 dips body weight before thinking about doing weighted ones. Also keep your muscles tense to take the pressure of your sternum, tendons and shoulders. Let me know how it goes!

Iosif