MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Cardio on rest days?

Hi I'm 33 years old and I currently weigh 407Lbs and working on losing weight. I do a full circuit weight training session every 2nd day and finish with 30-60 minutes on the Elliptical and then 60 minutes swimming laps in the pool. Ive been doing the cardio on my days off between my lifting days. Is this a good idea? I eat well with lots of protein. I take musclepharm assault pre workout and ripped freak fat burners and Nitrotech protein shakes after my workout every day. I'm looking to lose 100 lbs by the end of the year. Any pointers?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDe View Post
    Hi I'm 33 years old and I currently weigh 407Lbs and working on losing weight. I do a full circuit weight training session every 2nd day and finish with 30-60 minutes on the Elliptical and then 60 minutes swimming laps in the pool. Ive been doing the cardio on my days off between my lifting days. Is this a good idea?
    Any exercise that burns calories is good for losing weight, as long as you are eating enough to fuel the exercise, and lose weight (slight calorie deficit)
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I recommend that you take one full day off during the week where you don't do anything. If you aren't allowing your muscles to recover, you will not see the results you are looking for. Eating lot of carbs will give your muscles energy to work through your workouts.
    Heather White

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yes do cardio between lifting day but take one day where you only do really light recovery exercises, only some range of motion and walking. Supplements are worthless if everything else isnít dialed in, and even then they arenít special. Try to stay low in net carbs, the carbs should only come from fruits and veggies. Drink tons of water and stay in a calorie deficit (not a big one though).

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey JoeyDe!

Congratulations on taking ownership of your body! You have made a decision that very few people do, and it will lead you to a place very few people can get to.

My advice is to make sure you nail your calories first before worrying too much about cardio.

Cardio can increase your appetite and cause you to overeat, essentially negating all the hard work you did.

You will lose a tonnnnn of weight by just eating less.

Buy a food scale and start tracking everything you eat.

At 400lbs you have a massive maintenance level.

You can honestly eat 3000 calories and still lose weight. Make sure that food is lean meats, starchy carbs, healthy fats, and veggies!

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

-Max Barov

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Cardio as a form of active recovery is fantastic. I would buy the Max Muscle plan from Brad Shoeinfeild and start there. Full body mon, wed, Friday with plenty of compound movements and slowly increase the weight each week. Then after a month go into a push, pull, leg routine. The first step is to clean up your diet by learning to count macros on MyFitnessPal. For you Iíd say 250 G protein 220 g carbs and 100 g of fat. Then slowly increase the training till you plateau in weight loss then slowly lower your carbs and fat 10 g at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Itís good that you are already on protein shakes and that you work out every day. But losing 100lbs, my friend is a tall order. However, if you are focussed and continue working hard, it will be possible. Let me talk about Cardio. It is the most talked about thing especially to people who want to lose weight. It is a good idea alright because studies show that cardio burns more calories than any other weight loss training.
    Cardio is a kind of exercise that expends a lot of energy. It consists of activities such as jogging, walking and sprinting. For fat and weight loss, low-intensity cardio is recommended. Also, maintaining a steady effort helps to raise heart rate and improve the ability of the body to use oxygen. Note that fats need oxygen to metabolize. The lower the intensity, the more oxygen is available to be used by the body to break fats. When jogging less oxygen is available so less of the fat is converted into energy. So when jogging energy from carbohydrates. Is used.
    Last edited by Arose; 12-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.