MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default I have achieved obesity!

I am 5'6.5 204lbs which gives me a BMI of 32.9... obese!

This is more of a rant against BMI, because it is a really stupid way of measuring... really anything other than a strive for mediocrity. The other part that is not shown in those numbers is that my body fat is 22% (not great, could do better but I am bulking right now) and my waste line is a 32. I do sets of 290 bench press and weighted dip sets of 90lbs.

I am in nursing school right now and it stunned me to find out how much BMI is used. I will stipulate that most people who have high BMI's do not have a problem with having a lot of muscle... but why use BMI in the first place when body fat is so much more accurate and is easily measured (it may not be exact depending on your method, but it is still much better than BMI as an indicator of general health).

What is even more disturbing to me is that they use BMI as a way to measure children. I have not been able to float in a pool since I was 12, and somehow that is a bad thing? They are actually telling little kids and adolescents that they are over weight based off of their height and weight... that's messed up. Are calipers really that expensive? When I joined the military I was weighed, afterwards they sent me to a guy to measure my body fat and he shrugged and said "your fine", and that was the end of it. Somehow that extra 2 minute step is too much to ask our school system to do, and it is better for kids who already are going through enough with puberty to have to be told they have a weight problem merely because they happen to be in better shape than the rest of the kids.

Anyhow, it is just a pet peave of mine. My next goal is to hit 220 (with a lower body fat, my goal is mid teens) and become severely obese... and some day if I am lucky I may be able to achieve morbid obesity!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

BMI is not a good way of measuring people, waist to height is far better predictor of heart disease and diabetes than using the BMI system. Waist should be less than half a persons height, So for you at 5'6 tall, and waist of 32" you are just in the range
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    BMI is not a good way of measuring people, waist to height is far better predictor of heart disease and diabetes than using the BMI system. Waist should be less than half a persons height, So for you at 5'6 tall, and waist of 32" you are just in the range
    I have heard that before, but I have a question... is that unisex, or do women have a different way of measuring?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I never put any thought into BMI, the calculation is flawed. The BMI formula is: [weight (kg)] / [height (m)]squared. This formula does not account for muscle mass which is a problem. Muscle weighs about 18% more than fat so if you have a muscular build with little fat your BMI will be high and you would be considered overweight. For example, a male that does no exercise is 1.67 m tall and weighs 73.9 kg, his BMI would be 26.5 so he would be considered overweight. A similar male, that goes to the gym regularly is also 1.67 m tall, weighs about 80 kg, has a lot of muscle mass and is well defined, his BMI would be 28.7. According to this calculation the guy who goes to the gym regularly is more overweight than the guy who doesn't, but we know this is not the case. The BMI calculation is a very old formula (it was created about 100 years ago) and I think it should be abandoned. There are much accurate ways to determine if you are overweight such as the waist-to-height ratio or measuring your body fat percentage.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

We all know that Body mass index (BMI) is a very common way that helps to measure body fat and it is only consider two factors Height and Weight. We can take it as an indicator not more than that because it does not measure muscle mass, bone density, overall body composition.