MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Teen in need of help! Must lose fat.

I'm 16, male, 259 pounds and at a bodyfat percentage of 34%. I'm tired of being obese and want/need to change my situation. I started by going into a calorie deficit of 1600 but I've been hearing that teenagers shouldn't be cutting calories. But in order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit. I'm lost and don't know what to do. I'm hearing so many conflicting things about teenage weight loss.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

try intermittent fasting, it worked on me

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I wouldn't cut your calories that low straight away. What's your current diet like? I would be more inclined to increase training intensity/frequency rather than decrease food. If you're just starting out, maybe try 3 weight training sessions and 1-2 30 min cardio sessions. You don't want to go too hard too soon (same with dieting).

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Go for a low carbohydrate diet

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Donít cut your calories that much! Itís to much to put in a deficit, but being in a deficit isnít bad youíll be fine. Be in a 500-600 calorie deficit, eat as clean as possible with a lot of vegetables, drink a bunch of water, keep your net carbs as low as you can (total carbs minus fiber). With workouts doing weight training g three days a week with a full body routine, and cardio the other three days a week with a day of rest (really light exercise) should be a good week. A lot of **** is thrown around about teens and exercise/diet but most of it is just that, ****.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

start exercising if you don't want to decrease your caloric intake

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Try keto. You don't have to restrict your calories so much, as long as you keep your carbs within 10% of your total calories and your protein moderately low. It works. It should help you kickstart your weight loss.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There you go .. you welcome..
    Last edited by Doug; 10-31-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: advertising link deleted

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi there!

My advice is to be physically very active, doing things that keep your mind busy and focused on things that really interest you.

Don't starve yourself, but also don't take second helpings at lunch time.

One thing that really works is to stop taking any sugar. stay away from anything sweet. Even artificial sweeteners. Drink water when you are thirsty and never eat or drink stuff while you are walking.

For physical exercise just walk, but try to walk on uneven surfaces so you have to concentrate on what you are doing every step of the way. It will keep your brain from going into automatic and you will soon see that your weight starts to go down. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. We lose fat through our breath!! (Fact)

Don't give up!

Enjoy your day!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Although being 16 and 259 calories is not feasible, I will nevertheless try to offer some advice. Just watch what you eat and avoid junk foods by all means. If you must drink anything, please just drink water. Avoid sodas or other sugary flavors. Also consider hitting the gym and things will work for you.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

The only thing i would add to this which will possibly not be agreed by all is to be active, but keep the running, jumping, impact to an absolute minimum. Your body and bones are still growing and the last thing you want to do is to stress your joints so early in life that they cause you pain later in life. The basics are to have your nutrition in order, eat as healthy as you can sustain, nobody can go from poor nutritional but tasty junk type foods to super healthy lettuce eating food and sustain it as an enjoyable lifestyle. You're young, find a good balance and have patience with your weight loss. Cut out as much poor food without making yourself feel stressed/aggro at eating what your eating and keep as active as you can that doesn't have high impact. Things like swimming, cycling, brisk walks are good, Running twisting i wouldn't chose to do until you are further into your weight loss.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

It is true, being obese it comes with a host of challenges that it is necessary you look for ways to help you lose weight. For grown-up men, you can choose any method and you will be on your way to losing weight. But things become more complicated when the victim is a teenager whereas adults can crash dieting, teenagers must follow certain rules to achieve the same results. Thus, it is recommended that you choose a strategy that you can maintain. First, let your mom and dad know that you are on a weight loss program so that they can support you. Sec0nd, avoid drinks. If you must drink something, drink water. Start small. It is easier to stick to small changes than adopting radical changes. Reduce the calories to about 2200, then you will move to 2000, 1800…

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
    I'm 16, male, 259 pounds and at a bodyfat percentage of 34%. I'm tired of being obese and want/need to change my situation. I started by going into a calorie deficit of 1600 but I've been hearing that teenagers shouldn't be cutting calories. But in order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit. I'm lost and don't know what to do. I'm hearing so many conflicting things about teenage weight loss.
    Yes you need to be in a calorie deficit but you have to eat right aliments, you need to know how many proteins do you need, carbohydrates, fats, and you also need a good workout

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Look into intermitted fasting

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Don't rush and try to get quick result. Actually with your weight and body fat percent, a little more physical activity can probably have some quick result. Of course that doesn't mean you will get a six pack by next week, but pace yourself. Try to do everything at once will just end up bouncing back where you started.