MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default What to do when you get older?

I'm turning 60 this year. The good news is that I have exercised nearly all my life, since the age of 8 when I started judo. I'm a classic "ectomorph": thin bones and joints, small build. Currently I'm about 160lbs at 5'9", with probably 1-3lbs of new belly tire from a year of very inconsistent working out. I came to hate the big gyms the last 2 years, with the crowds hogging machines, tried working from home with dumbells and some lighter barbell exercises, and then found a nice small gym in a strip mall that has very light traffic. I also just retired from the Navy and civilian federal service after a combined 35 years, so I really have the time now!

Motivated, I tried Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program again that was fairly successful 5 years ago (see attached pic from 2012). After 12 weeks, I was stronger, still had my tire, and bored out of my effing skull. I just took a week off to figure out where I'm going wrong. I've read lots of conflicting material about building mass in older males, and I'm convinced I still have a shot at a nice physique and cardio fitness, and with determination can maintain it well into my 70s.

I found the "The Ex-Hardgainer Workout And Eating Plan" and like the simple return to the mass exercises, and 3 days per week (each body part seems to get hit twice a week, except triceps, which I suppose are covered with compound exercises like bench and press, with one day to do max effort dips). Before I start, what are your thoughts? Thanks so much for the feedback in advance...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0467_sharp.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	22282  

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Boss281 View Post
    I'm turning 60 this year. The good news is that I have exercised nearly all my life, since the age of 8 when I started judo. I'm a classic "ectomorph": thin bones and joints, small build. Currently I'm about 160lbs at 5'9", with probably 1-3lbs of new belly tire from a year of very inconsistent working out. I came to hate the big gyms the last 2 years, with the crowds hogging machines, tried working from home with dumbells and some lighter barbell exercises, and then found a nice small gym in a strip mall that has very light traffic. I also just retired from the Navy and civilian federal service after a combined 35 years, so I really have the time now!

Motivated, I tried Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size program again that was fairly successful 5 years ago (see attached pic from 2012). After 12 weeks, I was stronger, still had my tire, and bored out of my effing skull. I just took a week off to figure out where I'm going wrong. I've read lots of conflicting material about building mass in older males, and I'm convinced I still have a shot at a nice physique and cardio fitness, and with determination can maintain it well into my 70s.

I found the "The Ex-Hardgainer Workout And Eating Plan" and like the simple return to the mass exercises, and 3 days per week (each body part seems to get hit twice a week, except triceps, which I suppose are covered with compound exercises like bench and press, with one day to do max effort dips). Before I start, what are your thoughts? Thanks so much for the feedback in advance...
    As with any routine, give it a go and see how your own body reacts to it, remembering of course exercise also requires a good diet and recovery
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"